New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 18277.1006 (19H1) - Nov. 13 Insider

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. CallMeSteven's Avatar
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro Dev Channel
       #80

    Please can you answer this question about my PC computer name. When I Right click 'This PC' under Computer name it says 'DESKTOP-BDE9Q60'. Odd because I'm sure I never gave that name, I think it was something like 'Steven' originally. If I changed the name under Settings, can it impact on anything (like the registry etc)?? I think it may have changed when I joined as an Insider. Thanks for you help.
      My Computer

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,440
    Windows 10 Pro
       #81

    CallMeSteven said:
    Please can you answer this question about my PC computer name. When I Right click 'This PC' under Computer name it says 'DESKTOP-BDE9Q60'. Odd because I'm sure I never gave that name, I think it was something 'Steven'. If I changed the name under Settings, can it impact on anything (like the registry etc)?? I think it may have changed when I joined as an Insider. Thanks for you help.
    When no PC name is specified, Windows setup creates a random name with syntax DESKTOP-XXXXXXX. Changing that name in Settings does not affect Windows in any way, it is fully 100% safe to rename the PC.

    When doing next clean install, I have made a video about how to name your PC as you wish when installing:



    Video from Ten Forums video thread.

    Kari
      My Computer

  3. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,580
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #82

    Hi there

    @philc43

    Thanks for link and explanation

    Poor old Ms these days --they seem to be quite error prone and seem to have a lot of rather stupid problems -- activation servers should work properly or invalidates the whole purpose.

    Has Ms done another whole load of "Cost cutting" i.e getting rid of sensible developers and testers recently.

    cheers

    jimbo
      My Computer

  4. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 5,035
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 20H2 Build 19042.985 and W10 Insider Preview Build 21376
       #83

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    @philc43

    Thanks for link and explanation

    Poor old Ms these days --they seem to be quite error prone and seem to have a lot of rather stupid problems -- activation servers should work properly or invalidates the whole purpose.

    Has Ms done another whole load of "Cost cutting" i.e getting rid of sensible developers and testers recently.

    cheers

    jimbo

    Having now gone back to the previous build that is also not activating and claiming the digital license is for Home - so clearly the activation servers are in a real mess!
      My Computers

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,580
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #84

    Hi folks

    I've got a couple of VM's coming up with activation rubbish.

    Staying on Linux for the rest of the day I think

    Hopefully activation servers working by the morning.

    What a Dog's Dinner

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  6. CallMeSteven's Avatar
    Posts : 488
    Windows 10 Pro Dev Channel
       #85

    I presume that only affects fresh installs (not 'in place' upgrades) - as mine still says 'Activated'
      My Computer

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,580
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #86

    Hi there

    It seems to be Fresh installs only -- even updates work OK even from the old 1803 standard release and using iso created by UUP dump gives activated,

    If you try and do clean install you get problems.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 5,035
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 20H2 Build 19042.985 and W10 Insider Preview Build 21376
       #87

    Actually mine were updates through windows update so it is not just the Clean Installs.
      My Computers

  9. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 40,084
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #88

    CallMeSteven said:
    I presume that only affects fresh installs (not 'in place' upgrades) - as mine still says 'Activated'
    It could affect upgrades too.
      My Computer

  10. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,580
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #89

    Hi there
    I did my update tests by running the setup.exe off the .iso from within windows rather than use Windows update as I'm not enrolled in the insider programs.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums