KB4464455 Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow + RP Build 17763.107 Oct. 30 Insider

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
  1. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 2,432
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #130

    The answer is to have a custom downloads folder and not use the default one.

    I'm upgrading Skip/Fast again - it is certainly possible I ticked Downloads by accident but the point is it should not be in the list to begin with. Why should I setup a new folder like My Downloads? I guess maybe MS is hoping you will delete 3rd party programs by accident and replace them with inferior "universal" apps. Trick or treat.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #131

    martyfelker said:
    The answer is to have a custom downloads folder and not use the default one.

    I'm upgrading Skip/Fast again - it is certainly possible I ticked Downloads by accident but the point is it should not be in the list to begin with. Why should I setup a new folder like My Downloads? I guess maybe MS is hoping you will delete 3rd party programs by accident and replace them with inferior "universal" apps. Trick or treat.
    The answer is it's a user folder and should remain untouched.

    If people can't be bothered with file management then it's their problem if they are out of space or create huge backup images simply because they are copying ages old Flash installers, Chrome installers, Java installers, iTunes installers, six copies of every download; numbered (1) through (5); Adobe Reader installers, numerous stub installers, webpages named download.htm with a corresponding folder, programs that haven't been around since Windows 98, etc.
      My Computers

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #132

    martyfelker said:
    The answer is to have a custom downloads folder and not use the default one.

    I'm upgrading Skip/Fast again - it is certainly possible I ticked Downloads by accident but the point is it should not be in the list to begin with. Why should I setup a new folder like My Downloads? I guess maybe MS is hoping you will delete 3rd party programs by accident and replace them with inferior "universal" apps. Trick or treat.
    What is bizarre is this change was made after it was announced disk cleanup is deprecated.

    All they had to do was put the downloads check box visually in a separate isolated box on the popup and always make sure it is unchecked ie does not default to previous state.

    Putting it in middle of all other checkboxes is what makes it more prone to risk.

    Also, like the warning about deleting system installation files, they could warn users if box is checked.
      My Computer

  4. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,411
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #133

    cereberus said:
    What is bizarre is this change was made after it was announced disk cleanup is deprecated.

    All they had to do was put the downloads check box visually in a separate isolated box on the popup and always make sure it is unchecked ie does not default to previous state.

    Putting it in middle of all other checkboxes is what makes it more prone to risk.

    Also, like the warning about deleting system installation files, they could warn users if box is checked.
    I don't use the old Disk Cleanup. I use Clean Now in settings and it's in there too.
      My Computer

  5. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #134

    kado897 said:
    I don't use the old Disk Cleanup. I use Clean Now in settings and it's in there too.
    Yeah but in settings, there is a separate setting to set deleting downloads to NEVER which is clear, and you would have to work hard to accidentally delete the files.

    My main beef with the new Storage Sense menus is that you do not get a progress bar, and it can seem if the cleanup has crashed.
      My Computer

  6. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,644
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #135

    cereberus said:
    Yeah but in settings, there is a separate setting to set deleting downloads to NEVER which is clear, and you would have to work hard to accidentally delete the files.

    My main beef with the new Storage Sense menus is that you do not get a progress bar, and it can seem if the cleanup has crashed.
    A good software design practice is to ALWAYS provide feedback to the user when some block of your application or service is doing some task that takes longer than a few seconds or impact system performance. MS has not quite figured this one out yet.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #136

    slicendice said:
    A good software design practice is to ALWAYS provide feedback to the user when some block of your application or service is doing some task that takes longer than a few seconds or impact system performance. MS has not quite figured this one out yet.
    Disk Cleanup was also similar. Seems to progress in stages but then the progress bar seems to stall indefinitely. Plus, it has an ungracious exit of just terminating without confirmation that the process is complete.

    It also seems to stop responding but I check for activity in the process Disk Cleanup Manager for Windows (often 0%) after DISM has finished and the Windows Modules Installer Worker. Once they go down to background after quitting a hung process you can either launch it again or restart.
      My Computers

  8. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,644
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #137

    winactive said:
    Disk Cleanup was also similar. Seems to progress in stages but then the progress bar seems to stall indefinitely. Plus, it has an ungracious exit of just terminating without confirmation that the process is complete.

    It also seems to stop responding but I check for activity in the process Disk Cleanup Manager for Windows (often 0%) after DISM has finished and the Windows Modules Installer Worker. Once they go down to background after quitting a hung process you can either launch it again or restart.
    Yeah, there's something seriously flawed in the Windows Scheduler and the event system. Events come and go as they please, very often with no connection to the time when the actual event occurred. The thread scheduler is horrible when running multicore CPUs like the Threadripper. Linux does not have any of these issues and performance can often be 4x and more there.
      My Computers

  9. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #138

    winactive said:
    Disk Cleanup was also similar. Seems to progress in stages but then the progress bar seems to stall indefinitely. Plus, it has an ungracious exit of just terminating without confirmation that the process is complete.

    It also seems to stop responding but I check for activity in the process Disk Cleanup Manager for Windows (often 0%) after DISM has finished and the Windows Modules Installer Worker. Once they go down to background after quitting a hung process you can either launch it again or restart.
    True but you knew when it was at deleting system installation files, it would take a while, so you at least felt confident it would get there. You have no idea what stage you are at via settings menu.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #139

    cereberus said:
    True but you knew when it was at deleting system installation files, it would take a while, so you at least felt confident it would get there. You have no idea what stage you are at via settings menu.
    I don't know about "confident"
      My Computers


 
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:36.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums