Microsoft needs to refocus on Windows 10 fundamentals - Mary Jo Foley

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #90

    Cr00zng said:
    Well, that explains a lot... So, the guiding principles are relegated to "The Garage". That explains a lot about Windows 10 in general and especially about the updates...

    Let's look at it line by line...

    1. "Customer data is the boss" Really, does 1809 ring a bell?
    2. "Doers not talkers" What is this, stealing Nike's motto of "Just do it"?
    3. "Learn by hypothesis..." Yeah, hypothetically speaking 1809 release had been perfect... not...
    4. "Make innovation the expectation" Did you consider making the "it just works" the expectation?
    5. "Diverse teams make the best thinkers" If you'd listen, yes, but you keep listening to people who'd rather have Candy Crush updated...
    6. "Small is valuable" Don't want to be banned, I am not touching this...
    7. " We don't fail, we learn" I could give you a long list of example, but there's no use....


    Talk is cheap MS, live up to it...
    By the circular logic, step 3 becomes "Fail by hypothesis driven-experience" 1809, QED.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 44
    W 10 Pro, W 7 Pro & XP Pro.
       #91

    dgwin10 said:
    It's would be nice to have new Windows 11 Pro Special Edition without bloatware and less 10 processes running in background.
    Right now, Windows 10 Pro is step backward, They need to stop add features that cause break things few times and time consuming.
    There are plenty paid apps or freeware apps out there for us to choose what we want to install it our own.
    I can just about remember getting Windows 1.0 on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks and have never liked it as an OS, but it's the 'least worse' OS for certain uses.

    My two main PCs run W 7 Pro and I update monthly, by selecting what I want. I wanted a replacement to an old XP portable (Panasonic CF-19 Mk 1), so bought a Surface Pro 4. I've also bought a low cost iOTA One, both with W 10.

    The CF-19 was bought as secondhand refurbished item. Never connected to the internet as it was a field device, so never updated. It was simple to use, with no time wasting caused by the OS. The Surface Pro 4 is a pain-in-the-a......

    The iOTA was updated as soon as I'd bought it. Then I set about removing stuff not wanted. Due to health problems, it was left unused for many months. Then switched on and it updated. All the unwanted stuff had re-appeared! So I now have to waste time removing it, that is if I can as much wont uninstall.

    Windows 10 or 11 Pro needs to be re-named (renaming is Microsoft's prime interest!) as W 11 Home for Games (echoing Windows For Workgroups V-3.11) as it's full of games as some posters above have indicated. I've noting against games on a home PC, but NOT on a Professional PC.

    We need the following versions:-

    Home: for simple domestic use.
    Home for Games: for the games enthusiasts.
    Pro: with only professional features
    Enterprise: for large companies etc.

    Updating should be three separate operations. MSE daily updates, Bug and security updates and new feature updates. All New features should be individually ticked as in Windows 7 Pro.
      My Computer

  3. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,060
    Windows 10 IoT
       #92

    At one time I believe somebody at Microsoft said they were going to reduce the Editions available and not follow on say Windows 7 for example. They actually did it for a while. If I remeber correctly Winodws 8 had Home and Pro and Enterprise. Now they seem to be back to adding Editions. Windows 10 Education, Pro Education, Pro for Worksations, and S mode. And really limiting what consumers can and can't uninstall.
    I stripped a lot of those Microsoft bundled Apps out (the ones with uninstall greyed out) with powershell, IMHO you shouldn't have to go that route.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #93

    Landyman said:
    I can just about remember getting Windows 1.0 on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks and have never liked it as an OS, but it's the 'least worse' OS for certain uses.

    My two main PCs run W 7 Pro and I update monthly, by selecting what I want. I wanted a replacement to an old XP portable (Panasonic CF-19 Mk 1), so bought a Surface Pro 4. I've also bought a low cost iOTA One, both with W 10.

    The CF-19 was bought as secondhand refurbished item. Never connected to the internet as it was a field device, so never updated. It was simple to use, with no time wasting caused by the OS. The Surface Pro 4 is a pain-in-the-a......

    The iOTA was updated as soon as I'd bought it. Then I set about removing stuff not wanted. Due to health problems, it was left unused for many months. Then switched on and it updated. All the unwanted stuff had re-appeared! So I now have to waste time removing it, that is if I can as much wont uninstall.

    Windows 10 or 11 Pro needs to be re-named (renaming is Microsoft's prime interest!) as W 11 Home for Games (echoing Windows For Workgroups V-3.11) as it's full of games as some posters above have indicated. I've noting against games on a home PC, but NOT on a Professional PC.

    We need the following versions:-

    Home: for simple domestic use.
    Home for Games: for the games enthusiasts.
    Pro: with only professional features
    Enterprise: for large companies etc.

    Updating should be three separate operations. MSE daily updates, Bug and security updates and new feature updates. All New features should be individually ticked as in Windows 7 Pro.
    alphanumeric said:
    At one time I believe somebody at Microsoft said they were going to reduce the Editions available and not follow on say Windows 7 for example. They actually did it for a while. If I remeber correctly Winodws 8 had Home and Pro and Enterprise. Now they seem to be back to adding Editions. Windows 10 Education, Pro Education, Pro for Worksations, and S mode. And really limiting what consumers can and can't uninstall.
    I stripped a lot of those Microsoft bundled Apps out (the ones with uninstall greyed out) with powershell, IMHO you shouldn't have to go that route.
    I totally agree, but I don't see why you want to put the time and effort into removing features that will reappear. Just don't use them or use an alternative. W10 is about 20GB in size if you clean up temporary files, etc.

    It is 15-20% of the size of Windows 7, that's the Elvis Presley of MS OSes; used to be feted and lauded, now just fat, bloated and no longer with us.

    I actually am looking for S mode to be pushed to the idiots via a switch; maybe, just maybe they can have their time and I can just get on with mine.
      My Computers

  5. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #94

    This issue did not just pop up out the blue when they released 1809. My wife experienced it several builds back and she is on the slow ring. Fortunately I insisted she do backup and I would do myself on occasion. If she had lost 6000 photos my ass (certainly not anyone at M$) was grass. It had been reported on the Feedback Hub a few months ago. I just didn't believe it. I'll bet that it occurred around the time that MS added the default Downloads folder to Disk Cleanup. Fact is I could posted about till I was blue in the face and it would not have mattered - especially if MS cut some corners. Anybody that has ever worked for a sizable enterprise knows this is the case. This will be a problem for MS until they find a way (new bussiness model) to open source Windows code.
      My Computers

  6. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #95

    winactive said:
    I totally agree, but I don't see why you want to put the time and effort into removing features that will reappear. Just don't use them or use an alternative. W10 is about 20GB in size if you clean up temporary files, etc.

    It is 15-20% of the size of Windows 7, that's the Elvis Presley of MS OSes; used to be feted and lauded, now just fat, bloated and no longer with us.
    Are you seriously suggesting that W7 was a 100+ GB install?

    A clean install of W7 Ultimate 64-bit was ~12 GB on my PC.
    After ~9 years of updates it's ~23GB.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 25
    win10 64x home retail
       #96

    Landyman said:
    We need the following versions:-

    Home: for simple domestic use.
    Home for Games: for the games enthusiasts.
    Pro: with only professional features
    Enterprise: for large companies etc.
    Also a light version , with nothing than bear os stuff, there is allready a store so if you need something get it from there.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #97

    lehnerus2000 said:
    Are you seriously suggesting that W7 was a 100+ GB install?

    A clean install of W7 Ultimate 64-bit was ~12 GB on my PC.
    After ~9 years of updates it's ~23GB.
    Yes, because I know how judicious you are about cutting out bits you don't need. Default install with all the updates and accumulated crud was heading that way, I frequently see 50-70GB.
      My Computers

  9. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,827
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #98

    Microsoft needs to refocus on Windows 10 fundamentals - Mary Jo Foley-1.jpg

    So where's the business incentive for MS to do better? 1 yr + 33%

    They're not being hit in the right place.

    Beyond 12,500 former Nokia employees, who else is Microsoft laying off? | ZDNet

    2014: CEO Satya Nadella is making the investment of core engineering tools a top priority as part of his new strategies for the company. That means he is prioritizing non-sexy internal-facing tooling for things like source code control, collaboration management, and code sharing across divisions, I hear from my contacts.

    Under the new structure, a number of Windows engineers, primarily dedicated testers, will no longer be needed. (I don't know exactly how many testers will be laid off, but hearing it could be a "good chunk," from sources close to the company.) Instead, program managers and development engineers will be taking on new responsibilities, such as testing hypotheses. The goal is to make the OS team work more like lean startups than a more regimented and plodding one adhering two- to three-year planning, development, testing cycles.

    - the testing process needs to be divorced from the development and designed independently of any knowledge of the internal structure of the product.

    - what's a testing hypothesis?

    - MS as a lean startup? Really?
      My Computers

  10. Rocky's Avatar
    Posts : 1,753
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #99

    alphanumeric said:
    At one time I believe somebody at Microsoft said they were going to reduce the Editions available and not follow on say Windows 7 for example. They actually did it for a while. If I remeber correctly Winodws 8 had Home and Pro and Enterprise. Now they seem to be back to adding Editions. Windows 10 Education, Pro Education, Pro for Worksations, and S mode. And really limiting what consumers can and can't uninstall.
    I stripped a lot of those Microsoft bundled Apps out (the ones with uninstall greyed out) with powershell, IMHO you shouldn't have to go that route.


    This makes no sense. What did you gain over simply not using those apps?
      My Computer


 
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums