Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused


  1. Posts : 264
    Windows 10 Pro
       #930

    Well I just noticed after a Custom install of Win 10 Pro V1803 17134.320

    I can not change the default program for opening a .log file from note pad to notepad++.
    Matter of fact I can not change it for any type of text files...like .xml or .txt either.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 29,078
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #931

    And . . . while we're on the subject of backup, backup, backup!

    I have a 5 TB external drive dedicated to my backups. It sits on top of my tower and doesn't bother anyone. However!

    After this fiasco, from now on, I will definitely unplug it when it's again time for updates! I'll also unplug the other external drive, which has research material on it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 19,518
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #932

    AndreTen said:
    I have a lots of them, and know people who have their all collection going way back, on their Pcs
    First fax was invented 1843 so it's even older but that and scanning are not digital photography. In any case, anything you want to keep should be secured and if you don't it's your bloody fault. Whatever it is, people wouldn't keep valuable china for instance in harms way, keep money in a safe but wouldn't place valuable files in safe place.
    Also, if you have or want to use a tool PC is a tool too) you better learn how to use it. Even simple tool like hammer f you use it inadequately, you'll end up with sore thumb.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 430
    Windows 10 Pro
       #933

    Wynona said:
    And . . . while we're on the subject of backup, backup, backup!

    I have a 5 TB external drive dedicated to my backups. It sits on top of my tower and doesn't bother anyone. However!

    After this fiasco, from now on, I will definitely unplug it when it's again time for updates! I'll also unplug the other external drive, which has research material on it.
    @Wynona Good idea! I even eject my thumb drives that contain personal data files, USB HDs are disconnected and unplugged immediately after backups.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3,352
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #934

    reddice said:
    Lesson is don't delete your older Macrium restore points when you install a new Redstone build.
    I always keep the last 5 system partition Macrium backups. That may be overkill, but slim chances I'll be left wanting.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 68
    Windows 10
       #935

    To those people who got the update and haven't yet lost files or maybe use hibernate mode, beware there are reports of people who only lost files a day later after the next full reboot. There was a post earlier in this thread that might confirm this about profiles being incorrectly set to delete at the next reboot.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 502
    Win 11 Pro 64 bit
       #936

    Boulder said:
    To those people who got the update and haven't yet lost files or maybe use hibernate mode, beware there are reports of people who only lost files a day later after the next full reboot. There was a post earlier in this thread that might confirm this about profiles being incorrectly set to delete at the next reboot.
    Luckily I have rebooted numerous time since my upgrade. Would have been too late if I had any issues. All four computers working flawlessly (so far).
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 433
    10
       #937

    Just found out about this today. So does this mean no patch Tuesday update this coming week? Also I have not noticed any files being deleted myself thank God.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 856
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 build 19045.2193 Dual Boot Linux Mint
       #938

    Boulder said:
    To those people who got the update and haven't yet lost files or maybe use hibernate mode, beware there are reports of people who only lost files a day later after the next full reboot. There was a post earlier in this thread that might confirm this about profiles being incorrectly set to delete at the next reboot.
    Numerous reboots on the three PC's on 1809 no problems with missing files data or anything else, two on local accounts, one on a Microsoft Account.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 68
    Windows 10
       #939

    clam1952 said:
    Numerous reboots on the three PC's on 1809 no problems with missing files data or anything else, two on local accounts, one on a Microsoft Account.
    No one is saying it happens to everyone, just to be careful to anyone who hasn't lost files immediately after the upgrade that SOME PEOPLE are reporting it has happened to them after a reboot a day later.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:01.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums