Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused


  1. Posts : 283
    WIN10
       #2020

    dalchina said:
    Does anyone with 1809 happen to know if issues relating to setting default programs had been at all resolved, or is that as problematic as it seems to have become in 1803?
    Running 1809 LTSC 17763.55, and yeah it's a bit wonky, but I've managed to get all mine associated how I want them. The biggest problem is a lot of my programs are portable (MPC-BE media player for example) and there is a bit of right click > open with for me to do and some did not want to stick until I did it a couple/few times, like .midi, .mid kept going back to windows Media Player...which I want to open exactly NOTHING...ever...by default.

    It's no worse to me than any version of Windows I've ever used having some bug or annoyance to work around though.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 31,871
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2021

    dalchina said:
    Does anyone with 1809 happen to know if issues relating to setting default programs had been at all resolved, or is that as problematic as it seems to have become in 1803?
    I have no trouble changing default apps in 1809, but them I didn't have a problem in 1803 either. It would be a useful test if the OP tries using another account (creating a new one to test, if necessary). It may just be this one user profile that has the problem.

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-1809-change-default-apps.png
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 118
    Windows 10
       #2022

    I would suggest anyone who has had this bug since the recent CU, try uninstalling the update and see if it helps.

    TomBrennan said:
    Thanks roy111, and you're not the only one. I was getting pretty frustrated with this error today. Control panel methods also failed to set the associations on my machine. Oddly, I could change a previously assigned association but only once. New file types could not be assigned at all. Removing KB4462919 fixed the problem. I read somewhere the problem may also be fixed with 1809.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 18 Oct 2018 at 12:03.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,191
    Windows 11 Pro x64
       #2023

    slicendice said:
    You do realize that a big chunk of your RAM is also compressed?
    Of course I do.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 43,199
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #2024

    The default program problem seems related to one update:
    After CU KB4462919 W 10 v1803: can you change default program?Y/N - Windows 10 Forums

    KB4462919 applies to both 1803 and 1809, but not 1709.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 264
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2025

    For me the default program bug seems only related to text files. Like txt, log, xml etc. So make sure you can change these types of files before you go off thinking your system is OK.
      My Computer


  7. VBF
    Posts : 602
    Win 10 Pro
       #2026

    flhthemi said:
    For me the default program bug seems only related to text files. Like txt, log, xml etc. So make sure you can change these types of files before you go off thinking your system is OK.
    Just tried exactly that - using the modern UI dialog changed .txt files which were set to the default of Notepad to open with Wordpad - OK. Went to Settings, changed .txt to open with Notepad - OK

    Here is what i just posted on the other thread:

    After CU KB4462919 W 10 v1803: can you change default program?Y/N - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

    I'm still on 1803, KB4462919 was installed over a week ago, and I have seen this problem once:


    I double-clicked on a Zip file and the modern UI dialog appeared. Similar to @winactive I chose 7-Zip File Manager which WAS PREVIOUSLY the associated app and it worked. That was a few days ago and the PC has been restarted twice since then.

    I Just double-clicked on some zip files and they correctly opened with 7
    -Zip File Manager. As far as i can tell, all my other app associations have remained set.

    I've looked at the
    associations in both CP and Settings and they all look OK
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 3,453
       #2027

    Just did my first clean install of the Halloween Update.. is ths normal .. I mean no skip.. I'll do this later?
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-capture.jpg

    Then it jumps to Edge when complete with a news channel (BTW I didn't know Diana was more over Harry than William...no really! but whatever)

    Anyway this VM activated with the OEM key of the PC firmware (again)...and linked to a newly created MSA - I'll post further elsewhere as I'm testing the transference of licences.

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-capture1.jpg
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 985
    Windows 10 Home 21H1
       #2028

    Superfly said:
    Just did my first clean install of the Halloween Update.. is ths normal .. I mean no skip.. I'll do this later?
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-capture.jpg

    Then it jumps to Edge when complete with a news channel (BTW I didn't know Diana was more over Harry than William...no really! but whatever)

    Anyway this VM activated with the OEM key of the PC firmware (again)...and linked to a newly created MSA - I'll post further elsewhere as I'm testing the transference of licences.

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-capture1.jpg
    Yeah.. The Create a Pin screen is normal. If I remember rightly when it goes to the next screen where you are asked to enter your Pin..what you have to do is Don't enter a pin..select Cancel instead. Even then it trys again to get you to Set a pin by asking you if you're sure!!! You have to confirm again that you don't want a PIn
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,453
       #2029

    Oh!.. but it's a bit stupid to Create Pin then Cancel? Strange navigation!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums