Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused


  1. Posts : 324
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #1850

    Do you guys have any info or estimation on when they will finally release the fixed version?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 10,311
    Wndows 10 Pro x64 release preview channel
       #1851

    It really is crazy as the last Insiders release was great. MS must have changed things without changing the build number.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 56,827
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #1852

    DooGie said:
    It really is crazy as the last Insiders release was great. MS must have changed things without changing the build number.
    Or something in the Setup.exe process was much different than the Insider one. Only guessing here, no facts or evidence, but the whole thing went belly-up during the "put together" final stages, where it gets all the user data and settings put back after the code is updated. I'm speaking in non-tech terms here. That last phase, when it reboots at 75% just before the "HI!" part. it's putting all your "stuff" back together. That's where I'm assuming (hate that word) it rearranged life for a bunch of users. Just IMO.......
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #1853

    rezpower said:
    Do you guys have any info or estimation on when they will finally release the fixed version?


    I have heard a lot of talk around certain circles that they will eventually just skip this feature update and move onto 1903 next year. That seems the most likely.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,248
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 19043.1110)
       #1854

    Rocky said:
    I have heard a lot of talk around certain circles that they will eventually just skip this feature update and move onto 1903 next year. That seems the most likely.
    Doesn't sound at all likely to me. First of all, lots of people are running 1809 already (e.g., my self), so they can't just forget about it. The toothpaste is out of the tube. They'll make it right sooner or later.

    More likely to me would be that they just skip 1903, make it 1906 or something, revert to ONE FEATURE UPDATE PER YEAR. No, that's not very likely either, I suppose.

    Windows 10 has gotten away from them. In my opinion, their organizational procedures and technical chops are insufficient to deal with the complexity of what they're trying to do, with all the versions, and rings, and builds flying around, and the frequency of pushing bits out. IMO, they really really need to stop and take stock of just what the heck is going on.

    I am actually quite concerned about the future of Windows at this point. MS is flailing and floundering in a way I don't think I've ever seen before.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,811
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #1855

    lx07 said:
    Why not just turn off driver updates? Your spec says Windows 10 Preview which was always Pro functionality so you could disable it in gpedit. Until they remove that functionality from Pro I guess.

    It still works for me on the Pro version I got free from the 10 Preview.
    Users shouldn't have to tell their OS, "Don't self-destruct!"

    Until IT product/services are treated the same as real products/services, this sort of debacle will keep happening.

    sgage said:
    I am actually quite concerned about the future of Windows at this point. MS is flailing and floundering in a way I don't think I've ever seen before.
    MS knows they won't be punished, so why should they care.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 15 Oct 2018 at 21:11. Reason: Quote Added
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,248
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 19043.1110)
       #1856

    lehnerus2000 said:
    Users shouldn't have to tell their OS, "Don't self-destruct!"

    Until IT product/services are treated the same as real products/services, this sort of debacle will keep happening.


    MS knows they won't be punished, so why should they care.
    Maybe they've already decided/realized that the future of MS is not Windows...
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 87
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1809
       #1857

    sgage said:
    Maybe they've already decided/realized that the future of MS is not Windows...
    They have and here's why:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-msft-20product-20growth.png  
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,248
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 19043.1110)
       #1858

    bumboola said:
    They have and here's why:
    Though that's year on year growth, and not percentage of current corporate income, the writing seems to be clearly on the wall...
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,811
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #1859

    Pay-per-Click


    "Pay-per-Click Cloud OS", which is exactly what a lot of people predicted when W8 came out and they were laughed at and abused.

    Since almost all businesses depend on it, the US Government should declare Windows to be "Public Domain".
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums