Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused

  1.    4 Weeks Ago #1820

    Ah ok, it explains how the file deletion worked for anyone that didn't know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    4 Weeks Ago #1821

    I was doing some video editing tonight in 1809. My CPU hums at such a high frequency now, the neighborhood dogs start barking.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,795
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       4 Weeks Ago #1822

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Indeed they should but what I don't get is why this only effects some users and not others. Look at my specs , I have a quite old system and without any problems.
    kado897 said: View Post
    I don't think we will ever know unless MS fesses up.
    I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't know why it happened.
    These things "just happen" when you try to install millions of lines of code.

    An anecdote about my W7 installs.

    I installed the official consumer version of W7 in January 2010.
    Everything seemed to work, but I didn't like the way the Fonts folder behaved.
    When I mentioned it on SevenForums, other members said their installs didn't behave that way.

    In 2012, I did a clean install after my original install developed a couple of problems I couldn't fix (a broken calculator display and the inability to hold a static IP).
    Afterwards I noticed that my Fonts folder behaved the way that other SevenForums members said theirs behaved.

    Here's a novel idea.
    Instead of just randomly installing the latest W10 "Upgrade", Windows should warn users that it is about to happen.
    A dialogue window should appear stating:
    • Once started this operation may take an entire day
    • This is your one-and-only chance to back up your valuable personal files
    • Once you click the "Proceed" button it will be too late to back up your files
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 4 Weeks Ago at 00:29. Reason: Additional
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       4 Weeks Ago #1823

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't know why it happened.
    These things "just happen" when you try to install millions of lines of code.

    An anecdote about my W7 installs.

    I installed the official consumer version of W7 in January 2010.
    Everything seemed to work, but I didn't like the way the Fonts folder behaved.
    When I mentioned it on SevenForums, other members said their installs didn't behave that way.

    In 2012, I did a clean install after my original install developed a couple of problems I couldn't fix (a broken calculator display and the inability to hold a static IP).
    Afterwards I noticed that my Fonts folder behaved the way that other SevenForums members said theirs behaved.

    Here's a novel idea.
    Instead of just randomly installing the latest W10 "Upgrade", Windows should warn users that it is about to happen.
    A dialogue window should appear stating:
    • Once started this operation may take an entire day
    • This is your one-and-only chance to back up your valuable personal files
    • Once you click the "Proceed" button it will be too late to back up your files
    This is perhaps true. Most users don't know their Feature Upgrade from their Patch Tuesday or their Out Of Band update.

    Part of me thinks "How brainwashed am I to think of these things as normal?"

    Part of me thinks "Well this is a situation not of my making but I have a way of dealing with it, because the bottom line is ignorance will get you nowhere."
    Last edited by winactive; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:39.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    4 Weeks Ago #1824

    Dirk Gently said: View Post
    With the exception of my soundcard, i've only used the MS supplied Drivers. The only times i've had to do otherwise is when my Hardware is newer than the OS i'm using. Then i would have to go with Manufacturer software
    Microsoft lost my trust with drivers when they started forcing an "updated" driver for my TP-Link wireless adapter with each new Insider build. Trouble was that driver slowed a 70MB Internet connection down to less than 5MB. It was necessary to delete the MS supplied driver and replace it with the older one from TP-Link with each new build to regain speed. I complained numerous times via Feedback as did many others, but it did absolutely no good. TP-Link still doesn't have that lame driver version available. I switched to another adapter and everything is fine now since MS hasn't forced any drivers on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    4 Weeks Ago #1825

    Hi @larc919


    Your luckier than me - MS keeps throwing a single band driver at my wifi card, gotta change it every time theres an upgrade.

    Roy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    4 Weeks Ago #1826

    hawkman said: View Post
    Hi @larc919


    Your luckier than me - MS keeps throwing a single band driver at my wifi card, gotta change it every time theres an upgrade.

    Roy
    Why not just turn off driver updates? Your spec says Windows 10 Preview which was always Pro functionality so you could disable it in gpedit. Until they remove that functionality from Pro I guess.

    It still works for me on the Pro version I got free from the 10 Preview.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    4 Weeks Ago #1827

    Warning: Do NOT try to install this update. Microsoft has pulled the October 2018 Update after reports of users losing their documents during upgrade. If youíre planning to upgrade, do it at your own risk, and perform a full backup before proceeding. Youíve been warned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       4 Weeks Ago #1828

    BC66 said: View Post
    Warning: Do NOT try to install this update. Microsoft has pulled the October 2018 Update after reports of users losing their documents during upgrade. If you’re planning to upgrade, do it at your own risk, and perform a full backup before proceeding. You’ve been warned.
    Is this really news 183 pages into this thread?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 867
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       4 Weeks Ago #1829

    [QUOTE=BC66;1488004]Warning: Do NOT try to install this update. Microsoft has pulled the October 2018 Update after reports of users losing their documents during upgrade. If you’re planning to upgrade, do it at your own risk, and perform a full backup before proceeding. You’ve been warned.[/QUOTE

    Maybe a little late with your post. Were up to 1827 post on this very topic. Beginning the very day MS Pulled the upgrade.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: .NET Core October 2018 Update | .NET Blog
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013876/freeing-up-space-to-install-the-latest-windows-10-update See also: Windows 10 October 2018 Update: Dump your files to avoid crashes, warns Microsoft | ZDNet How to Free Up Drive Space...
Read more: Announcing Cumulative Updates for .NET Framework for Windows 10 October 2018 Update | .NET Blog
Windows Insiders should get the final build of Windows 10 October 2018 Update in September. The public rollout will be started in October, 2018. Source: Showcasing new computing possibilities at IFA - Windows Experience Blog
Microsoft today announced that the name of its next Windows 10 feature update will be the "October 2018 Update," following the format set earlier this year with the April 2018 Update. It appears Microsoft isn't trying to name updates after themes...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:04.
Find Us