Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused


  1. Posts : 579
    Windows10 Home 64 bit v. 22H2 bld. 19045.2604
       #1680

    f14tomcat said:
    Think he means deprecating.
    Yes, my bad. De-contenting is an automotive term for essentially the same thing, removing features that existed in an earlier version of a vehicle.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 15,480
    Windows10
       #1681

    Dirk Gently said:
    System Image Backup still works so well and is so simple. It's just there, wanting to be used. It's sad to think it might be removed. I restored my 1803 Backup with it just this week A really fast and painless job.
    Many users here have had variable experiences here, and do not trust it (including me).

    The forum's favourite tool by a mile is Macrium Reflect.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 31,608
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1682

    Dirk Gently said:
    System Image Backup still works so well and is so simple. It's just there, wanting to be used. It's sad to think it might be removed. I restored my 1803 Backup with it just this week A really fast and painless job.
    Obviously you don't have the 32-bit version of 1803...

    1803 creating a system image fails with RPC server error 0x800706BA
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-rpc-server-unavailable.png

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-1803-x86-restore-fail.jpg

    This has been fixed in 1809 though, so seems some work is still being done on it.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #1683

    alphanumeric said:
    Yes, I know that. Thing is people have been going on and on that you should not leave your files in the default location. If you watch the video I linked too, its the people that have moved their files that are getting hit with the lost files. Not the ones that used the stock locations. If what he says is correct?


    Exactly, that is what we have been saying for the last few days. I am glad that you are beginning to understand what the video is all about.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,099
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #1684

    Rocky said:
    Exactly, that is what we have been saying for the last few days. I am glad that you are beginning to understand what the video is all about.
    Well all my data is on D: I haven't lost anything that I have been able to find missing I haven't watched the video
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-2018-10-12_22-36-56-my-d-data-drive.png
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 15,480
    Windows10
       #1685

    Rocky said:
    Exactly, that is what we have been saying for the last few days. I am glad that you are beginning to understand what the video is all about.
    Well the $64,000 question with data loss is if MS have identified ALL the data loss reasons. I know for sure that the KFR issue is fixed though.

    But was it the only reason?e

    See @Kari posts about friends of his losing data without any folder redirection.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1686

    Hi there
    one of the typical problems with User data on "C" is that that most browsers automatically choose the downloads folder to store their downloads in and for inexperienced users changing the default download location to somewhere else is not always easy (for them) or intuitive.

    Personally -- I might be in a minority here -- though I don't muck about with the default locations -- just so long as I back up data in documents and downloads.

    If you are creating new data though most programs have a "Save AS" option as well as a "SAVE" so I would recommend people to use the SAVE AS option in the application programs rather than just the SAVE option. If you use that option you can store the file(s) anywhere you like without problems.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 93
    Win10Pro 64bit
       #1687

    cereberus said:
    Well the $64,000 question with data loss is if MS have identified ALL the data loss reasons. I know for sure that the KFR issue is fixed though.

    But was it the only reason?e

    See @Kari posts about friends of his losing data without any folder redirection.
    Have you checked the other method of moving user files....

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-storage.jpg
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1688

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    one of the typical problems with User data on "C" is that that most browsers automatically choose the downloads folder to store their downloads in and for inexperienced users changing the default download location to somewhere else is not always easy (for them) or intuitive.

    Personally -- I might be in a minority here -- though I don't muck about with the default locations -- just so long as I back up data in documents and downloads.

    If you are creating new data though most programs have a "Save AS" option as well as a "SAVE" so I would recommend people to use the SAVE AS option in the application programs rather than just the SAVE option. If you use that option you can store the file(s) anywhere you like without problems.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    No, a lot of browsers default action is to save to C:\Users\%username%\Downloads you need to set the default action of the browser to 'Ask me where to save downloads'
      My Computers


  10. VBF
    Posts : 602
    Win 10 Pro
       #1689

    don1952 said:
    Have you checked the other method of moving user files....

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused-storage.jpg
    AFAIK that will just save NEW data in the chosen location. I don't believe it moves the existing locations, like Documents just adds new ones in your chosen location.
    For that KFR is the method and i've always done both on my machines.

    I am still on 1803 though and stand to be corrected on the above.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums