Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused


  1. Posts : 118
    Windows 10
       #1600

    VBF said:
    You have to in order to survive with Windows!
    The next thing would be to learn to live without it!

    r/windows 10 has come alive with bug reports from disgruntled punters today. There's nary a gruntled user anywhere to be found!
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 12 Oct 2018 at 07:37.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 14,055
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint
       #1601

    Dirk Gently said:
    The next thing would be to learn to live without it!

    r/windows 10 has come alive with bug reports from disgruntled punters today. There's nary a gruntled user anywhere to be found!
    For most things I could get along quite happily with Linux Mint, a few things I need aren't yet available for Linux. Most of my work with clients requires having Windows so I have to try to keep up.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 118
    Windows 10
       #1602

    Berton said:
    For most things I could get along quite happily with Linux Mint, a few things I need aren't yet available for Linux. Most of my work with clients requires having Windows so I have to try to keep up.
    I'm also somewhat married to a few Windows only programs that i would find very hard to let go of. I'm not sure i have it in me to learn how to Linux right now either. Old dog, new tricks.
      My Computer


  4. VBF
    Posts : 602
    Win 10 Pro
       #1603

    Dirk Gently said:
    I'm also somewhat married to a few Windows only programs that i would find very hard to let go of. I'm not sure i have it in me to learn how to Linux right now either. Old dog, new tricks.
    I know the feeling! I have an old PC with Lubuntu on it and I've been "going to get around" to doing something with it for a considerable time... Life gets in the way!
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1604

    I think everyone is getting a little over excited about a problem that's affected a tiny proportion of users and one that would affect them anyway if they do not really exercise good file management and backup procedures.

    I don't change the default folders because I like my Windows as near default as possible, as I do software.

    You can argue it's insecure or dangerous or whatever all you like but I have hit the issue with either dividing disks up (you lose all partitions in the event of a failure), not having the choice of adding disks (laptops) having to move the partitions if your sizing requirements change, etc.

    I didn't change anything, I do use One Drive for convenience, but nothing mission critical.

    I haven't been affected by the code this time around. I think the issue is not the specific bug but the amount of bad decisions that are cropping up on the OS development side and the nightmare that is patching.

    There are too many active builds, feature updates should revert to annually; there is nothing in the bi-annual releases that would suffer from being delayed until they worked properly or to actually provide something substantial to see a measurable change. This bi-annual cadence is the problem.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 15,502
    Windows10
       #1605

    I can categorically state that my test of a vm starting with redirected folders in 1803 and upgrading to 1809 has been successful i.e. my test files remained intact.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 19,520
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #1606

    winactive said:
    I think everyone is getting a little over excited about a problem that's affected a tiny proportion of users and one that would affect them anyway if they do not really exercise good file management and backup procedures.

    I don't change the default folders because I like my Windows as near default as possible, as I do software.

    You can argue it's insecure or dangerous or whatever all you like but I have hit the issue with either dividing disks up (you lose all partitions in the event of a failure), not having the choice of adding disks (laptops) having to move the partitions if your sizing requirements change, etc.

    I didn't change anything, I do use One Drive for convenience, but nothing mission critical.

    I haven't been affected by the code this time around. I think the issue is not the specific bug but the amount of bad decisions that are cropping up on the OS development side and the nightmare that is patching.

    There are too many active builds, feature updates should revert to annually; there is nothing in the bi-annual releases that would suffer from being delayed until they worked properly or to actually provide something substantial to see a measurable change. This bi-annual cadence is the problem.
    Except it's not as "tiny" as MS would let believe.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1607

    On a Spectre mitigation tip, the registry settings to enable Speculative Store Bypass (variant 4) CVE2018-3639 are not carried over an upgrade from 1803 to 1809.

    I would assume that a clean install will also leave the mitigation disabled.

    I have witnessed the 2018-09 (v3) KB4100347 superceding the KB4346084 patch in 1803 and DOWNGRADING the protection if you do not have the 07/08/18 uCode in UEFI BIOS.

    1809 has the same level of uCode in the .dll as the KB4100347 patch (either v2 or v3).
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 118
    Windows 10
       #1608

    winactive said:
    There are too many active builds, feature updates should revert to annually; there is nothing in the bi-annual releases that would suffer from being delayed until they worked properly or to actually provide something substantial to see a measurable change. This bi-annual cadence is the problem.
    One feature update a year would be more than enough. Had they created Windows 10 with a clear idea of what they wanted in the first place, it wouldn't have been released in such a pitifully unready state and wouldn't require so much fixing now.

    Measure twice, cut once. Right?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,205
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 build 19042.685
       #1609

    CountMike said:
    Except it's not as "tiny" as MS would let believe.
    No one can say with absolute certainty and with strong evidence that what Microsoft said about the number of affected users is not correct, those who say that are based only on conjecture, speculation and opinions and not on a large-scale investigation.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums