Windows 10: KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - September 13

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
  1.    31 Aug 2018 #320

    andyouf said: View Post
    The registry entries, shown in the post.
    I see. So the updated ucode in BIOS causes an update to the registry which tells it that KB100347 is unnecessary. So some people don't even get that update.
    The BIOS/UEFI update doesn't change anything in the registry.
    Without being a Microsoft engineer, I think that in clients, regardless of the existence of the registry entries, you will be updated if your current μcode is older than the one included in the Microsoft update. But again to be on the safe side, just add the two registry entries.
    I didn't have them, since I never used the Microsoft μcode, as hp is very fast in BIOS updates, but I did add them. They don't harm anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Aug 2018 #321

    ddelo said: View Post
    The BIOS/UEFI update doesn't change anything in the registry.
    Without being a Microsoft engineer, I think that in clients, regardless of the existence of the registry entries, you will be updated if your current μcode is older than the one included in the Microsoft update. But again to be on the safe side, just add the two registry entries.
    I didn't have them, since I never used the Microsoft μcode, as hp is very fast in BIOS updates, but I did add them. They don't harm anything.
    Point is you should have them, otherwise the fixes are not automatic nor controllable. The OS updates should set the registry entries, hence why tools like InSpectre could 'disable' the mitigations.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    31 Aug 2018 #322

    winactive said: View Post
    Point is you should have them, otherwise the fixes are not automatic nor controllable. The OS updates should set the registry entries, hence why tools like InSpectre could 'disable' the mitigations.
    Exactly as you said, "The OS updates should set the registry entries".
    If someone (me for instance) has never run the Microsoft updates, he doesn't have them and should add them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Aug 2018 #323

    I'll just go ahead and download it back on from the Windows Update Catalog if you all think that is a good idea. It says "last updated 5/18" which is confusing but this is the right one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Aug 2018 #324

    ddelo said: View Post
    Exactly as you said, "The OS updates should set the registry entries".
    If someone (me for instance) has never run the Microsoft updates, he doesn't have them and should add them.
    These uCode updates are not OS patches. They should only contain the uCode (newer version of the .dll) they do not contain registry settings.

    Plus the patches are only effective if the OS code is updated. You can change the registry settings all you like but you can't activate a patch if it isn't present.

    e.g. If you do not have 17134.228 or higher you can't enable against L1TF.

    The Powershell script will tell you if the uCode is sufficient (Hardware), it will also tell you if the registry switch and the cumulative update is active (OS).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    31 Aug 2018 #325

    So I'm at 17134.254 does that mean I don't need KB100347 since I'm already at a higher level?

    it will also tell you if the registry switch and the cumulative update is active (OS)
    The Powershell script (I assume you are talking about the second one ddelo posted; I won't understand that output.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Aug 2018 #326

    andyouf said: View Post

    The Powershell script (I assume you are talking about the second one ddelo posted; I won't understand that output.
    To understand the output, of the Microsoft script, read this document
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Aug 2018 #327

    Thanks. I went ahead and reinstalled KB100347 since winactive recommended it be on there anyway and said it doesn't interfere with present updates unless it is newer. Hopefully registry entries are set properly. I don't understand the registry switch being active and hopefully this did not mess up anything since I installed KB4346783 earlier and that is a more recent update than this. Should I uninstall/reinstall KB4346783 to put them back in chronological order?

    Side Question: Do cumulative updates build off each other? If I were to not install one but then install the one after would that include all the fixes from the previous update or would I not be able to install it because the previous was never installed?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 Aug 2018 #328

    andyouf said: View Post
    Hopefully registry entries are set properly.
    Why don't you check them and tell us if they are installed and with what values?


    andyouf said: View Post
    Should I uninstall/reinstall KB4346783 to put them back in chronological order?
    Yes you should.


    andyouf said: View Post
    Side Question: Do cumulative updates build off each other? If I were to not install one but then install the one after would that include all the fixes from the previous update or would I not be able to install it because the previous was never installed?
    That's what cumulative means. They include all previous ones.
    If there are prerequisites by an update, it's stated clearly which one it is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    31 Aug 2018 #329

    You've just hit the definition of Cumulative Update on the head almost.

    The latest update contains all the fixes since 17134.1 (base version 1803) to date. You don't need interim OS patches.

    Run the PowerShell script as @ddelo says; that tells you if everything is OK

    Edit: looks like we cross-posted
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091666/kb4091666-intel-microcode-updates See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode updates KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - Windows 10 Forums KB4090007 Intel...
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091664/kb4091664-intel-microcode-updates See also: KB4346087 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1607 - August 21 - Windows 10 Forums See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode...
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091663/kb4091663-intel-microcode-updates See also: KB4346085 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1709 - August 21 - Windows 10 Forums See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode...
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode updates KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - Windows 10 Forums KB4091663 Intel microcode...
Solved Intel microcode updates for 1803? in Drivers and Hardware
Is this available for download?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.
Find Us