Windows 10: KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - September 13

Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,566
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       4 Weeks Ago #190

    Jigsaw99 said: View Post
    Guys please tell me if it is a bad thing that this Intel Microcode update was installed yesterday in my PC which uses AMD FX 6300.Sorry for asking again but I'm really nervous since yesterday!
    winactive said: View Post
    It doesn't matter. You don't have an Intel CPU.
    If you look in C:\Windows\System32 you will find two files, mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll and mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll. These are installed by default on any clean install of Windows 10. Each contains all known microcode updates at the time they were published.

    At boot only the appropriate one for your processor (Intel or AMD) will be checked to see if it has newer microcode for your specific CPU than is currently loaded, only if it does will the microcode be uploaded to the processor.

    On my Intel system KB4100347 has updated my 'GenuineIntel' one to the latest version while my 'AuthenticAMD' is still dated as it was when Windows was installed. I suspect if @Jigsaw99 looks at the dates of theirs it will be the other way round.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    4 Weeks Ago #191

    According to the first post from Microsoft/Intel, for my Broadwell U CPU (306D4), I must have microcode version 0x2A. That's what I had since Feb. 2018, until hp provided a BIOS update in June and it took it up to version 0x2B.
    Today I was offered the KB4100347 update, although at a higher version and I used the wushowhide.diagcab to hide it.
    Although successfully hidden, it's still offered by WU, as I didn't install it when it was offered and I must force a recheck to hopefully get rid of it, since it seems to be redundant.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    4 Weeks Ago #192

    Bree said: View Post
    If you look in C:\Windows\System32 you will find two files, mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll and mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll. These are installed by default on any clean install of Windows 10. Each contains all known microcode updates at the time they were published.

    At boot only the appropriate one for your processor (Intel or AMD) will be checked to see if it has newer microcode for your specific CPU than is currently loaded, only if it does will the microcode be uploaded to the processor.

    On my Intel system KB4100347 has updated my 'GenuineIntel' one to the latest version while my 'AuthenticAMD' is still dated as it was when Windows was installed. I suspect if @Jigsaw99 looks at the dates of theirs it will be the other way round.
    Thanks for the reply man!I looked the files you said and the AMD.dll has the date 12/4 which is when I installed Windows10 and the Intel.dll has the date 11/7.I don't have the knownledge all the other guys around here have but since everything is working well,I guess I just have to leave it alone and not try to break something that is working good!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    4 Weeks Ago #193

    ddelo said: View Post
    According to the first post from Microsoft/Intel, for my Broadwell U CPU (306D4), I must have microcode version 0x2A. That's what I had since Feb. 2018, until hp provided a BIOS update in June and it took it up to version 0x2B.
    Today I was offered the KB4100347 update, although at a higher version and I used the wushowhide.diagcab to hide it.
    Although successfully hidden, it's still offered by WU, as I didn't install it when it was offered and I must force a recheck to hopefully get rid of it, since it seems to be redundant.
    Just because it's not needed doesn't mean you need to go to the trouble of hiding it.

    If your BIOS level is higher, it's disregarded, it won't affect anything. If it is updated and you don't get a BIOS update, then you'll have hidden it.

    I can tell you I have the same CPU and Acer have not provided an update for me, KB4100347 even in it's revised form contains 0x2A.

    I am now hopeful that the scope of KB4346084 is extended to older CPUs. This I think is how Microsoft will achieve the patch granularity that I hoped for.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,566
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       4 Weeks Ago #194

    Jigsaw99 said: View Post
    ...the AMD.dll has the date 12/4 which is when I installed Windows10 and the Intel.dll has the date 11/7.I don't have the knownledge all the other guys around here have but since everything is working well,I guess I just have to leave it alone and not try to break something that is working good!
    The intel one will just be ignored at boot as you have an AMD. There wasn't really any point in updating it, but as it plays no part in your AMD system there's no harm done either.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM
       4 Weeks Ago #195

    I have an i5 6600k. Wondering if there are any performance hit WRT gaming.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    4 Weeks Ago #196

    ern88 said: View Post
    I have an i5 6600k. Wondering if there are any performance hit WRT gaming.
    Pure CPU scores are affected in benchmarks (currently based around game engines with settings maxed out) this affects your GPU framerate so I have elected to block uCode updates on my gaming desktop, use the last release uCode from 2017-11 and turn off the protections via registry.

    I'm scoring higher benchmarks than before Spectre patches were enabled, in-game performance has improved by a few FPS on average. My desktop is Haswell-based.

    On my laptop that I use for work, all the updates are enabled (as far as it goes) and patched all bar CVE 2018-3639 (SSB).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    4 Weeks Ago #197

    winactive said: View Post
    Pure CPU scores are affected in benchmarks (currently based around game engines with settings maxed out) this affects your GPU framerate so I have elected to block uCode updates on my gaming desktop, use the last release uCode from 2017-11 and turn off the protections via registry.

    I'm scoring higher benchmarks than before Spectre patches were enabled, in-game performance has improved by a few FPS on average. My desktop is Haswell-based.

    On my laptop that I use for work, all the updates are enabled (as far as it goes) and patched all bar CVE 2018-3639 (SSB).
    Have you checked this link for v 1.33 update for your model: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answ...ulnerabilities
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    4 Weeks Ago #198

    brummyfan said: View Post
    Have you checked this link for v 1.33 update for your model: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answ...ulnerabilities
    Thanks yes, it contains 0x2A not 0x2B. I have a support ticket open with Acer (who weren't aware 1.33 was even released as it's not on the product page). Embarassing!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    3 Weeks Ago #199

    winactive said: View Post
    Just because it's not needed doesn't mean you need to go to the trouble of hiding it.

    If your BIOS level is higher, it's disregarded, it won't affect anything. If it is updated and you don't get a BIOS update, then you'll have hidden it.

    I can tell you I have the same CPU and Acer have not provided an update for me, KB4100347 even in it's revised form contains 0x2A.

    I am now hopeful that the scope of KB4346084 is extended to older CPUs. This I think is how Microsoft will achieve the patch granularity that I hoped for.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion. What you said is quite valid, meaning that if it is updated and hp doesn't timely provide an updated BIOS version the MS update will be hidden.

    On the other hand, the fact is that I have the privilege to be a member in tenforums and news in here travel faster than fast. So if a new updated microcode comes up, I'll get notified, as we do have Shawn @Brink to keep us away from "evil".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091666/kb4091666-intel-microcode-updates See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode updates KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - Windows 10 Forums KB4090007 Intel...
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091664/kb4091664-intel-microcode-updates See also: KB4346087 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1607 - August 21 - Windows 10 Forums See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode...
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091663/kb4091663-intel-microcode-updates See also: KB4346085 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1709 - August 21 - Windows 10 Forums See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode...
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates See also: KB 4093836 Summary of Intel microcode updates KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - Windows 10 Forums KB4091663 Intel microcode...
Solved Intel microcode updates for 1803? in Drivers and Hardware
Is this available for download?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:33.
Find Us