Windows 10: Cumulative Update KB4103721 Windows 10 v1803 Build 17134.48 - May 8

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1.    09 May 2018 #180

    ksio89 said: View Post
    I pray to God He won't let that ever happen. And the day MS kills Win32 to push UWP is the day I switch to Linux.
    Let's not "Cry wolf". To put it bluntly, they simply can't, because of all the heavy, tremendous repercussions without forgetting about Windows 10 S. If we take a look at the latter, one can say without the slightest doubt that the intention is there. And, as you put it, if they do, lots of users will probably consider making the switch to Linux..
    Last edited by IronZorg89; 10 May 2018 at 16:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
       09 May 2018 #181

    ksio89 said: View Post
    Same issue here with one laptop. Was able to install this CU into another one just fine, though. Ironically, I had the spinning wheel problem with 17134.5 in that other laptop. Just wondering, are the 3 PC you mentioned desktops or laptops, or both?
    I have 6 desktops. On three of them (BIOS) the update installed with minor glitches.
    On the rest three desktops (1 BIOS, 2 UEFI) the update renders them unbootable.

    It seems that the update messes up with the os drive letter (check via console with bcdedit)
    The hard part it that bootrec /scanos can't identify any windows installation on the disc

    Also, attempting startup repairs fails to fix the problem
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 752
    Windows 10 Home (Insiders Build 17134.5)
       09 May 2018 #182

    dimitris123 said: View Post
    I have 6 desktops. On three of them (BIOS) the update installed with minor glitches.
    On the rest three desktops (1 BIOS, 2 UEFI) the update renders them unbootable.

    It seems that the update messes up with the os drive letter (check via console with bcdedit)
    The hard part it that bootrec /scanos can't identify any windows installation on the disc

    Also, attempting startup repairs fails to fix the problem
    It's just insane. I have pretty much given up. This is probably one of the worst Windows 10 upgrades yet, which is saying something. It's just too over-built, and nobody understands it. The simplest issues seem to be immune to fixes. This after delay upon delay. It's seems like it's gotten away from them...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 May 2018 #183

    ksio89 said: View Post
    I pray to God He won't let that ever happen. And the day MS kills Win32 to push UWP is the day I switch to Linux.
    I always liked Windows and dont have any bad feelings toward Microsoft. In fact, I like MS. But I dont use the Store or Universal apps. All I do with them is uninstall the ones that come with an uninstaller and ignore the rest. Till now I have been able to use my W10 pretty much identically to how I used XP and W7. As long as MS keeps Windows balanced (users being able to use what they want) and I can continue to use Windows the way I use it, I ll be happy but if they push apps and only apps, that would also push me away from Windows.

    Bo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,767
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       09 May 2018 #184

    bo elam said: View Post
    .... I like MS. But I dont use the Store or Universal apps. All I do with them is uninstall the ones that come with an uninstaller and ignore the rest. ....

    Bo
    There are ways to uninstall most of the Universal apps There are actually tutorials here for that purpose using PowerShell scripting, or the easier way with applications such as CCLeaner

    Uninstall Apps in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 May 2018 #185

    dimitris123 said: View Post
    I have 6 desktops. On three of them (BIOS) the update installed with minor glitches.
    On the rest three desktops (1 BIOS, 2 UEFI) the update renders them unbootable.

    It seems that the update messes up with the os drive letter (check via console with bcdedit)
    The hard part it that bootrec /scanos can't identify any windows installation on the disc

    Also, attempting startup repairs fails to fix the problem
    Tried installing this CU in other laptop and guess what, I got good ol' black screen with spinning circle again. I thought it only happened to laptops with integrated graphics, but I'm a bit less worried as you stated your desktops became unbootable as well. Microsoft devs are very, very amateur to release an update in this state.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Faith's Avatar
    Posts : 439
    Windows 10 Home April 2018 Update 64-bit
       09 May 2018 #186

    Ramoats said: View Post
    Installed this update this morning ... no major problems .... But something is off .... windows thinks it needs to reboot in order to install this update, even though I have rebooted several times.... Update history shows it was successfully installed .... Update wants a restart or a scheduled restart .... Also shows on the power off list ... update and shut down or update and reboot ....
    I managed to fix it. Let Windows idle for a while and the screen will be filled with an update message in the non-active hours. If you click Update Now on that message it should restart the PC and the restart pending message should go away in Windows Update. Restarting the PC the traditional way didn't work and this was the only way I fixed it. I hope it can help some of you seeing this strange behavior.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2
    windows 10 Pro x64
       09 May 2018 #187

    Mooly said: View Post
    @pfcooper I always clean install along these lines. Having a definite plan in mind not only speeds up the process but also (imo) makes for a more reliable and trouble-free installation. It might help give you some ideas.

    How do YOU clean install ? Do you follow a plan ?
    thanks, quite comprehensive.
    my pc has a 32GB SSD, how should partitions be allocated?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 May 2018 #188

    Faith said: View Post
    I managed to fix it. Let Windows idle for a while and the screen will be filled with an update message in the non-active hours. If you click Update Now on that message it should restart the PC and the restart pending message should go away in Windows Update. Restarting the PC the traditional way didn't work and this was the only way I fixed it. I hope it can help some of you seeing this strange behavior.
    I also managed to fix the problem.
    Updated to Newest Nvidia Driver , used Msconfig to Stop Iobit advanced system care service, and changed my active hours so I appeared non active at the time. It installed correctly then, and left me with a Red message, Your organization manages some settings, I clicked update and it disappeared. Final reboot and reenabled IOBit Service... All fine now. Before was black screen with the spinning circling dots that never changed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,639
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       09 May 2018 #189

    Finally!!!


    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Still puzzled as to why latest flash is still yet to be pushed through windows update
    And it's about time too!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows update 1803.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	188069
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I have tried many different ways of installing Dropbox: regular download through their website, ninite.com, and their offline installer of the latest stable build (48.4.58) - none are letting me successfully install this app. As mentioned in the...
Source: HoloLens RS4 Preview - Mixed Reality | Microsoft Docs
Solved Update History missing in Builds 17134.1 and 17134.5 in Windows Updates and Activation
After updating to 17134.1 and .5 my update History was cleared and new updates would not show in History. I got these Builds from the Insider RP ring. I have now left the Insider program, removed the .5 update and my 3 systems are now on Build...
Source: HoloLens RS4 Preview - Mixed Reality | Microsoft Docs
Source: HoloLens RS4 Preview - Mixed Reality | Microsoft Docs
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:17.
Find Us