Windows 10: Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17101 Fast + 17604 Skip Ahead Feb. 14 Insider

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,639
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       22 Feb 2018 #350

    Wynona said: View Post
    Nope, nope, nope! Hybernate presents too many problems in my estimation, so I never let it enable.
    Odd how experiences differ. I've been routinely using 'shut the lid and hibernate' on my laptops without any problems - first in '95, then XP, Win7 and now Win10. All were Toshibas, which may be relevant. I have heard that some other brands could be 'problematic'.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 34,576
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       22 Feb 2018 #351

    Bree said: View Post
    Odd how experiences differ. I've been routinely using 'shut the lid and hibernate' on my laptops without any problems - first in '95, then XP, Win7 and now Win10. All were Toshibas, which may be relevant. I have heard that some other brands were 'problematic'.
    My Surface Pro 3, also. Same thing. Fine on lappy.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,534
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       22 Feb 2018 #352

    I have hibernation enabled on both my laptop and my desktop.

    I use Dell's High Performance power scheme for my laptop (with tweaks of my own in the various configuration, including disabling sleep (but lowering the monitor down) and enabling hibernation if AC power cuts off and ht battery gets to ~15%).

    I've set the same settings in the High Perf scheme on my desktop - because my desktop is connected to an APC UPS with a USB cable connecting both as well, so the Windows 10 monitors what the battery is doing. It's a lot different than running PowerChute, but this far it was worked pretty well.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,459
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17711/Windows Server 2019 IP Build 17692/Debian Unsttable
       23 Feb 2018 #353

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    lol yeah my first action usually with cmd :)
    Code:
    Powercfg -h off
    Same here. Usually followed by PS>set-executionpolicy unrestricted.
    Last edited by Brink; 23 Feb 2018 at 10:24. Reason: fixed quote box
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    23 Feb 2018 #354

    Something changed with updates in 17604 ?. First time it downloaded and installed update for AMD graphic drivers and screwed it up royally . AMD has own driver updater (optional) so I relied on it to announce new version and than I download it from their site.
    Update really, but REALLY needs an option to refuse particular update. I always had it set to "Notify only" but that doesn't stop it from updating once is started. Now I had notification about 2 updates, one for WD and one for display driver and couuldn't stop former one and only install WD update.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    23 Feb 2018 #355

    martyfelker said: View Post
    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    lol yeah my first action usually with cmd :)
    Code:
    Powercfg -h off

    Same here. Usually followed by PS>set-executionpolicy unrestricted.
    Is it a good idea to set execution policy unrestricted permanently from a security view point?
    Last edited by Brink; 23 Feb 2018 at 10:25. Reason: fixed quote box
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,223
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 Feb 2018 #356

    cereberus said: View Post
    Is it a good idea to set execution policy unrestricted permanently from a security view point?
    Running powercfg command in PowerShell does not require any execution policy be set, command can be run also when policy is Restricted (running scripts disabled). A command or cmdlet is not a script.

    Anyway, running a command or a script, PowerShell execution policy can be bypassed. In this case the command would be:

    powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass [ScriptName.ps1 OR command with options]

    When command is given like this, it can also be given simply from RUN (WIN + R) dialog:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	178247

    This is just an example, all this being unnecessary. The powercfg command can of course be run, and is in fact easiest and fastest to run directly as standalone command from RUN:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	178246

    No need to open Command Prompt or PowerShell for this.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,459
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17711/Windows Server 2019 IP Build 17692/Debian Unsttable
       23 Feb 2018 #357

    cereberus said: View Post
    Is it a good idea to set execution policy unrestricted permanently from a security view point?
    Possibly not. However I don't run remote powershell scripts.
    Last edited by Brink; 23 Feb 2018 at 10:25. Reason: fixed quote box
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,459
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17711/Windows Server 2019 IP Build 17692/Debian Unsttable
       23 Feb 2018 #358

    A saying from Wanda the Fish while running Linux and VMware Server.

    beta test, v:
    To voluntarily entrust one's data, one's livelihood and one's
    sanity to hardware or software intended to destroy all three.
    In earlier days, virgins were often selected to beta test volcanos.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    23 Feb 2018 #359

    Kari said: View Post
    Running powercfg command in PowerShell does not require any execution policy be set, command can be run also when policy is Restricted (running scripts disabled). A command or cmdlet is not a script.

    Anyway, running a command or a script, PowerShell execution policy can be bypassed. In this case the command would be:

    powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass [ScriptName.ps1 OR command with options]

    When command is given like this, it can also be given simply from RUN (WIN + R) dialog:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	178247

    This is just an example, all this being unnecessary. The powercfg command can of course be run, and is in fact easiest and fastest to run directly as standalone command from RUN:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	178246

    No need to open Command Prompt or PowerShell for this.

    Kari
    I do not think OP meant he did the powershell execution policy change for powercfg but just as one of first things he does with a new installation which is why I queried if it is a good idea.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 11/22: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17046 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 931221002532503552 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17040 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE 11/16: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast+Skip Ahead Build 17040 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 928321775498170368 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17035 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
913162233252892672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17004 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
UPDATE: 9/27: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 908013519697616896 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16362 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog
903302171319427076 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16353 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15.
Find Us