Windows 10: Cumulative Update KB4074588 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.248 - Feb. 13

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1.    19 Feb 2018 #80

    Gator5000e said: View Post
    Is anyone seeing any performance issues after the installation of KB4074588? A number of my programs are running and opening much slower them before. Is this tied to the Spectre fixes?

    Also, I see that KB4074588 was installed twice on my computer, once on Feb 13th and another time on Feb 15th. Both have the exact same title. Anyone know what that is about? Could that be the cause of my slow down?

    Thanks for any thoughts.
    When one is having problems with Windows updates, oftentimes we are inclined to blame Microsoft, but it certainly has to do with the way one's computer is configured. In your case, I would certainly try a repair install (in-place upgrade). It doesn't take long to do and most of all, you don't loose any of your data files nor your already installed applications. My experience is that this ought to resolve the issue more often than not.

    So why not give it a try. Have a go at it:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials

    When you are finished, check for Windows updates again and see if your winver is at:OS build 16299.248.
    I really hope that helps
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    19 Feb 2018 #81

    Thanks but I am very hesitant to do this. this is my work computer and I really can't afford to lose the way I have things set up right now. I don't feel like Repair Install is very clear as to what it keeps and what it changes. And I get confused with the terms Apps and Programs. So I will just see if the problem persists.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Feb 2018 #82

    Gator5000e said: View Post
    Thanks but I am very hesitant to do this. this is my work computer and I really can't afford to lose the way I have things set up right now. I don't feel like Repair Install is very clear as to what it keeps and what it changes. And I get confused with the terms Apps and Programs. So I will just see if the problem persists.
    Why not use free Macrium to make an image? If things go wrong, restore is very easy. I always make images before I update stuff.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 Feb 2018 #83

    Hi,

    meebers said: View Post
    Why not use free Macrium to make an image? If things go wrong, restore is very easy. I always make images before I update stuff.
    Was thinking the exact same thing. Always the best policy.
    Windows will keep everything you added to it if you tell it to keep all your personal stuff, programs and apps. I find it to work quite well actually.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    19 Feb 2018 #84

    OK, thanks all. Appreciate the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Feb 2018 #85

    My wife's PC is not in great shape after the recent KB4074588 updates. It has an AMD chip and was up to date until Wednesday when the update failed and the PC just will not operate correctly. So I am trying to build a USB ISO to rebuild Windows 10. That didn’t work so now resetting her PC and go from there and building a USB ISO only same type PC. Updates are not like they used to be and recently some have failed and I have had to download the ISO and go form there. Wish MS would find all their engineers that knew what that were doing. A super cluster-F these updates are getting to be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 32,454
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       19 Feb 2018 #86

    For those not being offered the Feb. 2018 Cumulative, the same MS rules apply regarding compliant AV products. The old Spectre/Meltdown boogie-boo. This is an excerpt from MS:



    Note: Customers will not receive the January 2018 Windows security updates (or any subsequent Windows security updates) and will not be protected from security vulnerabilities unless and until their antivirus software vendor sets the following registry key:
    Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”

    Data="0x00000000”



    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...virus-software

    DL'ing it from the catalog gets around this, or following the suggestion in the article.

    Not assuming this is your particular issue, but it's possible.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 6,443
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       19 Feb 2018 #87

    Gator5000e said: View Post
    Thanks but I am very hesitant to do this. this is my work computer and I really can't afford to lose the way I have things set up right now. I don't feel like Repair Install is very clear as to what it keeps and what it changes...
    I have done a repair install a few times now. All installed apps, programs and user documents are kept. Most settings are kept too. The (very) few settings that change are things like Fast Start up gets turned back on (if you had it turned off before). Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to spot any differences after a repair install (apart for the things it fixed).

    And, like any other upgrade, you can revert to your previous system for 10 days after the upgrade (it creates a windows.old folder).
    Last edited by Bree; 19 Feb 2018 at 18:02.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 32,454
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       19 Feb 2018 #88

    Bree said: View Post
    I have done a repair install a few times now. All installed apps, programs and user documents are kept. Most settings are kept too. The (very) few settings that change are things like Fast Start up gets tuned back on (if you had it turned off before). Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to spot any differences after a repair install (apart for the things it fixed).

    And, like any other upgrade, you can revert to your previous system for 10 days after the upgrade (it creates a windows.old folder).
    Only two others I can think of that consistently get changed. If you have a font set in REGEDIT, it gets reset to default. An Superfetch service gets enabled again. (I keep it off with an SSD)

    Fast Startup will remain off (and invisible) if you have hibernation off. powercfg -h off.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    19 Feb 2018 #89

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    For those not being offered the Feb. 2018 Cumulative, the same MS rules apply regarding compliant AV products. The old Spectre/Meltdown boogie-boo. This is an excerpt from MS:



    Note: Customers will not receive the January 2018 Windows security updates (or any subsequent Windows security updates) and will not be protected from security vulnerabilities unless and until their antivirus software vendor sets the following registry key:
    Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”

    Data="0x00000000”



    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...virus-software

    DL'ing it from the catalog gets around this, or following the suggestion in the article.

    Not assuming this is your particular issue, but it's possible.
    That's nice, but now I have to reinstall all of the apps and programs because MS can't make their updates work. Getting annoying to say the least.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    UPDATE 1/3: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054517/windows-10-update-kb4054517 Find Windows 10 Version Number
    Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709 Direct download link for KB4073290 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog: :arrow: Download KB4073290 MSU for Windows 10...
    Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073291/january-18-2018-kb4073291-os-build-16299-201 Direct download link for KB4073291 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog: :arrow: Download KB4073291 MSU for Windows 10 v1709 32-bit (x86)...
    UPDATE 11/30: Cumulative Update KB4051963 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.98 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4048955 163809
    UPDATE 11/14: Cumulative Update KB4048955 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.64 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043961 Find Windows 10 Version Number
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.
    Find Us