Cumulative Update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 - Jan. 31

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

  1. Posts : 24,601
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #110

    Bree said:
    ...Attempting to Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 counts up to 20% then immediately jumps to 'The operation completed successfully' - patently not true, as /AnalyzeComponentStore still reports 1 reclaimable package and recommends a clean up.

    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.16299.15
    Image Version: 10.0.16299.214
    [===========                20.0%                          ]
    The operation completed successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    The problem of the 46MB that cannot be cleaned seems to be in the files and/or manifest for KB4058258. Some mismatch seems to be preventing Disk Clean up or DISM from removing some of the previous updates. The Cumulative Update KB4074588 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.248 - Feb. 13 has not fixed this, there's still 46MB left in Disk Clean up and DISM still exits at 20%.

    I've tried uninstalling the latest cumulative update and reinstalling it, but this doesn't seem to remove whatever was causing this problem. The only solution I've found that removes all trace of KB4058258 is to perform an in-place repair install. This puts you back to build 16299.15.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    Then check for updates and go directly to build 16299.248 with KB4074588. After this, both Disk Clean up and DISM's StartComponentCleanup option seem to work normally again.

    Cumulative Update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 - Jan. 31-dism-ok-now.png
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #111

    After waiting to see if the next tuesday updates would fix my issue of undeleteble 46MB and KB4058258 not insallable, I also went for this in-place upgrade and all went fine...
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 24,601
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #112

      My Computers


  4. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #113

    Matioupi said:
    After waiting to see if the next tuesday updates would fix my issue of undeleteble 46MB and KB4058258 not insallable, I also went for this in-place upgrade and all went fine...
    Good to know that a repair install can get rid of those pesky 46 MB from Windows Update after an elevated Disk Cleanup. I would probably give it a try after the next patch Tuesday or next CU.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 24,601
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #114

    IronZorg89 said:
    Good to know that a repair install can get rid of those pesky 46 MB from Windows Update after an elevated Disk Cleanup. I would probably give it a try after the next patch Tuesday or next CU.
    To be honest, if it was just the 46MB showing in Disk Clean-up I wouldn't have bothered testing if a repair install would fix it.

    The more serious fault that bothered me deeply was that DISM would end prematurely at 20% when restoring health. That was why I tried the repair install, reporting the successful results in post #111.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #115

    Bree said:
    To be honest, if it was just the 46MB showing in Disk Clean-up I wouldn't have bothered testing if a repair install would fix it.

    The more serious fault that bothered me deeply was that DISM would fail to restore health at 20%. That was why I tried the repair install, reporting the successful results in post #111.
    Maybe, I probably have the same problem with DISM which I haven't run in a long while. I will have to check it out and post back. Thanks for the insight (heads-up).
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #116

    @Bree,

    I just ran DISM (Restorehealth) and I got a clean bill of health. I cannot say the same for those 46.0 MB leftover from Windows Update in Disk Cleanup still lurking around, as evidenced in the following screenshots:

    Cumulative Update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 - Jan. 31-dism-february-03-2018.png

    Cumulative Update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 - Jan. 31-46.0-mb-still-around-disk-cleanup.png
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 2,826
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #117

    Hi,

    If it's any consolation I'm pretty much convinced it's Diskcleanup itself that's at fault here. These 46Mb just aren't there any more.
    I have one machine with two W10 FCU installs and one of them shows the full CU (2.4 Gb) still on disk in diskcleanup.
    I can assure you it's long gone but diskcleanup still thinks it isn't.

    Hopefully it will vanish into thin air with the next CU.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #118

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,

    If it's any consolation I'm pretty much convinced it's Diskcleanup itself that's at fault here. These 46Mb just aren't there any more.
    I have one machine with two W10 FCU installs and one of them shows the full CU (2.4 Gb) still on disk in diskcleanup.
    I can assure you it's long gone but diskcleanup still thinks it isn't.

    Hopefully it will vanish into thin air with the next CU.

    Cheers,
    To tell you the truth, I don't really give it much thought. It is not the first time I am seeing leftovers from Windows Update in Disk Cleanup. Like you said, at one point, it will vanish away. This one is definitely on Microsoft's end of the bargain. They will have to fix it, unless there is reason under the hood for that to happen.
    Thanks for your reassurance. You have been very helpful in all threads of tensforum. Keep up the good work. :)
    Last edited by IronZorg89; 05 Mar 2018 at 14:00.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 2,826
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #119

    Hi,

    Thank you for the compliment.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums