Windows 10: KB4078130 Update to Disable Mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 136
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 64-bit
       2 Weeks Ago #11

    Glad I didn't touch any of the microcookies from Intel then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 165
    Windows 10 Pro x64 16299.248 (Fresh Install)
       2 Weeks Ago #12

    The update changes the "FeatureSettingsOverride" setting from 0 to 1.

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "FeatureSettingsOverride"=dword:00000001
    "FeatureSettingsOverrideMask"=dword:00000003
    
    ; 3 = Disable both
    ; 2 = Disable meltdown (Kernel VA Shadow)
    ; 1 = Disable spectre (Branch Target Injection)
    ; 0 = Enable both
    ;
    ; FeatureSettingsOverrideMask is always 3
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5,962
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1709
       2 Weeks Ago #13

    Thanks. I just checked and both dwords are set to 1.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    2 Weeks Ago #14

    Not updating anything else until the likes of Intel and Microsoft can demonstrate that they actually know what they doing, which so far I'm seeing little signs of.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 5,962
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1709
       2 Weeks Ago #15

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    2 Weeks Ago #16

    Polo6RGTI said: View Post
    The update changes the "FeatureSettingsOverride" setting from 0 to 1.

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "FeatureSettingsOverride"=dword:00000001
    "FeatureSettingsOverrideMask"=dword:00000003
    
    ; 3 = Disable both
    ; 2 = Disable meltdown (Kernel VA Shadow)
    ; 1 = Disable spectre (Branch Target Injection)
    ; 0 = Enable both
    ;
    ; FeatureSettingsOverrideMask is always 3
    Hah! I wondered what it did. Suspected this since it appeared to do nothing when I ran the executable.
    I had already disabled that Spectre variant through the registry when word first same out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    2 Weeks Ago #17

    I downloaded it and then tried to open the downloaded file, but nothing happened. What do I need to do after I download it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    2 Weeks Ago #18

    ChristineL said: View Post
    I downloaded it and then tried to open the downloaded file, but nothing happened. What do I need to do after I download it?
    Apparently all it does is change a registry setting, and it probably did that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,259
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       2 Weeks Ago #19

    I've got Meltdown patches in place now, according to InSpectre, but not Spectre patches. So, I have no need to install this in the first place.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    2 Weeks Ago #20

    johngalt said: View Post
    I've got Meltdown patches in place now, according to InSpectre, but not Spectre patches. So, I have no need to install this in the first place.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Source: AMD Processor Security | AMD See also: Windows OS security update block for some AMD based devices - Windows 10 Forums
Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
See: Windows: Moving Beyond Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) - Windows 10 Forums Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums Update: How to Change Exploit Protection Settings from...
Read more: Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading, warn researchers | ZDNet
Source: Moving Beyond EMET Defense See also: How to Change Exploit Protection Settings from Windows Defender Security Center in Windows 10
Hello All, Let me just start by saying that this is not the first time I attempt to mess with registries, system files, and I have a pretty firm grasp on what I'm doing. However, I couldn't find a single place that gave me any relevant...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:29.
Find Us