Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 17074.1002 - Jan. 11 Insider

Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
  1.    15 Jan 2018 #270

    AndreTen said: View Post
    For removing windows.old, or .old(1) you can use this command:
    I haven't had problems removing windows.old recently as it's been deleted via Disk Cleanup as it should be. But past problems when Disk Cleanup wouldn't delete it haven't been as easily solved. Efforts to delete from within Windows get a report that windows.old doesn't exist. And most of it doesn't. There will just be a file or 2 buried somewhere deep in subfolders, apparently corrupted and keeping windows.old from going away totally. Your command gets rid of it for me in these cases, but only by running Command Prompt outside Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Jan 2018 #271

    Wasn't it an old DOS command line ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 20,904
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       15 Jan 2018 #272

    CountMike said: View Post
    Wasn't it an old DOS command line ?
    Yes RMDIR - ReMove DIRectory. RD is the short form. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb490990.aspx
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 3,443
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       15 Jan 2018 #273

    larc919 said: View Post
    I haven't had problems removing windows.old recently as it's been deleted via Disk Cleanup as it should be. But past problems when Disk Cleanup wouldn't delete it haven't been as easily solved. Efforts to delete from within Windows get a report that windows.old doesn't exist. And most of it doesn't. There will just be a file or 2 buried somewhere deep in subfolders, apparently corrupted and keeping windows.old from going away totally. Your command gets rid of it for me in these cases, but only by running Command Prompt outside Windows.
    Exactly! (except for running outside of Windows, one can manually remove file locks too)

    RD does not work unless you first manually delete the "not found"-file using the DOS (short) name. Then the rest can be removed by using RD and a few switches on windows.old(1 .. n).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 20,904
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       15 Jan 2018 #274

    slicendice said: View Post
    Exactly! (except for running outside of Windows, one can manually remove file locks too)

    RD does not work unless you first manually delete the "not found"-file using the DOS (short) name. Then the rest can be removed by using RD and a few switches on windows.old(1 .. n).
    I've never had to remove any files RD /S Windows.old in an admin command has always done it for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,391
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       15 Jan 2018 #275

    kado897 said: View Post
    I've never had to remove any files RD /S Windows.old in an admin command has always done it for me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 1,545
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17711/Windows Server 2019 IP Build 17692/Debian Unsttable
       15 Jan 2018 #276

    I should have saved what remained of windows.old. However, if it means anything was that the subdirectory that was not deleted by Disk Cleanup was c:\windows.old\users.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 1,545
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17711/Windows Server 2019 IP Build 17692/Debian Unsttable
       15 Jan 2018 #277

    Like I posted unlocker 1.92 is what I use and it never fails. I a file is in use it requires a reboot to get rid of it but that holds for any OS including Linux. But the discussion begs the question. Disk Cleanup should be deleting windows.old and in many cases it does.

    The latest canary Is 17078 compiled last Thursday so there is a good chance we will see either that build or 17079 compile Friday or perhaps 10780. On the other hand today, Monday, is a holiday in the US so that might throw the schedule off. An announcement from the Sphinx should come tomorrow or Weds.
    0.0.17078.1000 (rs_prerelease.180111-1437)

      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 37,567
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       15 Jan 2018 #278

    Odd thing I found in Edge. Not sure if it's a new feature or what. Nothing mentioned in the OP blog, nor is it in its settings. It's in caret browsing mode. Saw it the first time in a word game. Anyone seen this before?


    Attachment 172737
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 14,272
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       15 Jan 2018 #279

    Tony K said: View Post
    Odd thing I found in Edge. Not sure if it's a new feature or what. Nothing mentioned in the OP blog, nor is it in its settings. It's in caret browsing mode. Saw it the first time in a word game. Anyone seen this before?


    Attachment 172737
    What exactly? Coves? Or was it suggested word, while typing? Can't tell from your picture…

    Like this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	172743
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hello,this is my first post here and unfortunately it is with a problem.I installed windows 10 pro clean install version 1709 no problems and it updated itself with the feature update.It then downloaded 17074 and it will not install at all.It will...
Hi, I am in the slow ring, an the latest update failed after the second restart and windows installation rolls back to previous insider build. The symptoms are very similar to what's described here...
Source: Announcing Windows Server Insider Preview Build 17074 - Windows Experience Blog 953332203680710656 This is a prototype "dashboard" for Windows Insiders to quickly identify the latest Insider Preview releases for PC, Server, IoT, and...
UPDATE 9/26: Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 16296 for PC - Windows 10 Forums 911319835648204800 910247567849426945 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16291 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
903740172344336384 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16278 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02.
Find Us