Windows 10: Windows OS security update block for some AMD based devices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    12 Jan 2018 #10

    Brink said: View Post
    Article updated by Microsoft on January 10, 2018.
    The fix by MS to block the update for older AMD CPUs didn't work for me yesterday - see KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,577
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       12 Jan 2018 #11

    I've just checked and that update successfully installed on the 10th, only just got this machine and it's the first AMD I've had my other machines have been Intel.

    It's an HP Envy x360 Convertible. Mind you I've done a check and it seems there are updates from HP for it 3 are recommended but I'm a bit nervous of doing them as one is a BIOS one and there's one for UEFI for AMD, I think I've got those letters right you lot probably know better than me.

    The check said there were 6 updates 3 recommended and 3 optional.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 17,722
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       13 Jan 2018 #12
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Jan 2018 #13

    Steve C said: View Post
    The fix by MS to block the update for older AMD CPUs didn't work for me yesterday - see KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC
    Me too as of this morning
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Jan 2018 #14

    VBF said: View Post
    Me too as of this morning
    I feel your pain. I had to recover from a Reflect backup. All is fine now I've blocked the offending update which in theory I shouldn't have received.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       13 Jan 2018 #15

    Steve C said: View Post
    The fix by MS to block the update for older AMD CPUs didn't work for me yesterday - see KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC
    VBF said: View Post
    Me too as of this morning
    Not sure where MS is at with that kb, but I’m quite sure they would not release it again unless it was able to install. I noticed you two use 3rd party AV. Do you know about the fact that an AV has to be compatible for that kb? It needs to be able to change certain Registry keys in order for the kb to install successfully. More about that in this thread:

    Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums

    Also, the term “bricked” means to render a device absolutely useless. e.g. A BIOS flash or a firmware update gone bad, therefore not able to install anything thereafter rendering it useless. Attempting to install the kb may have borked or broke your system, but not bricked it. My thoughts is that it frightens people when they see that term is all.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    13 Jan 2018 #16

    Tony K said: View Post
    Not sure where MS is at with that kb, but I’m quite sure they would not release it again unless it was able to install. I noticed you two use 3rd party AV. Do you know about the fact that an AV has to be compatible for that kb? It needs to be able to change certain Registry keys in order for the kb to install successfully. More about that in this thread:

    Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums

    Also, the term “bricked” means to render a device absolutely useless. e.g. A BIOS flash or a firmware update gone bad, therefore not able to install anything thereafter rendering it useless. Attempting to install the kb may have borked or broke your system, but not bricked it. My thoughts is that it frightens people when they see that term is all.
    All my PCs use Defender now. I'll update my signature! I guess my PC wasn't bricked by your definition but Auto Repair failed to run and the Macrium Reflect boot repair tool didn't work.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    13 Jan 2018 #17

    Tony K said: View Post
    Not sure where MS is at with that kb, but I’m quite sure they would not release it again unless it was able to install. I noticed you two use 3rd party AV. Do you know about the fact that an AV has to be compatible for that kb? It needs to be able to change certain Registry keys in order for the kb to install successfully. More about that in this thread:

    Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums

    Also, the term “bricked” means to render a device absolutely useless. e.g. A BIOS flash or a firmware update gone bad, therefore not able to install anything thereafter rendering it useless. Attempting to install the kb may have borked or broke your system, but not bricked it. My thoughts is that it frightens people when they see that term is all.
    @Tony K
    My PC isn't bricked - it just refuses to boot after KB4056892 is installed.

    Updating Windows Defender applies the necessary Registry fix, by the way, paving the way for KB4056892 to install,

    Restored it to an earlier build (
    16299.19)) via Macrium and it worked perfectly until I allowed KB4056892 to install, when the whole cycle starts again. So, the version of KB4056892 that's currently available still stops some AMD PCs from booting.

    I did allow some updates through, so presently the PC is at OS Build 16299.125. I've made another image of that and have set
    Set Feature update delay 365 days
    Quality update delay 30 days
    Network METERED

    That'll stop it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    13 Jan 2018 #18

    VBF said: View Post
    @Tony K
    My PC isn't bricked - it just refuses to boot after KB4056892 is installed. Restored it to an earlier build (16299.19)) via Macrium and it worked perfectly until I allowed KB4056892 to install, when the whole cycle starts again. So, the version of KB4056892 that's currently available still stops some AMD PCs from booting.

    I did allow some updates through, so presently the PC is at
    OS Build 16299.125. I've made another image of that and have set
    Set Feature update delay 365 days
    Quality update delay 30 days
    Network METERED

    That'll stop it!
    That should work - else use the method in this Tutorial which I've used to block the single offending update Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       13 Jan 2018 #19

    Steve C said: View Post
    All my PCs use Defender now. I'll update my signature! I guess my PC wasn't bricked by your definition but Auto Repair failed to run and the Macrium Reflect boot repair tool didn't work.
    VBF said: View Post
    @Tony K
    My PC isn't bricked - it just refuses to boot after KB4056892 is installed.

    Updating Windows Defender applies the necessary Registry fix, by the way, paving the way for KB4056892 to install,

    Restored it to an earlier build (
    16299.19)) via Macrium and it worked perfectly until I allowed KB4056892 to install, when the whole cycle starts again. So, the version of KB4056892 that's currently available still stops some AMD PCs from booting.

    I did allow some updates through, so presently the PC is at OS Build 16299.125. I've made another image of that and have set
    Set Feature update delay 365 days
    Quality update delay 30 days
    Network METERED

    That'll stop it!
    Understandably tension are high, especially with this CPU fiasco going on. Then updating fiascos. Believe me, I'm only attempting to be helpful by pointing out some possibilities is all. If the kb doesn't install on some AMDs, that's the first I've heard of it. Happy that you pointed that out.

    Also, I've heard that Macrium Reflect was having issues as well. Don't use it so can't help there.

    So far as the term brick; It actually was introduced by means of unlocking cell phones with firmware, for here in the U.S. our phones were locked. When a firmware hack went bad it rendered the phone useless, so therefore called a brick. So the term is rather scary here.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Source: Surface Guidance for Customers and Partners: Protect your devices against the recent chip-related security vulnerability
    Source: Microsoft releases additional updates to protect against potential nation-state activity - Windows Experience Blog See also: June 2017 security update release MSRC
    Hello, As a Yahoo mail user, what service might I switch to that could be more secure, that are currently available? Thanks for any assistance! glennc
    Hello guys, I'm new here and I've got a problem with my laptop. It started a while ago, since I haven't been able to use my laptop last week. I keep on getting BSODs, particularly the kernel security check failure, followed by a boot loop, then...
    So since I am 12 I am probably going to get a lot for Christmas. So I decided I will make my notebook laptop into a gaming PC. Before you think; Laptop.. Gaming PC? It is a beast of a laptop and it has beaten many desktops at video games,...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:09.
    Find Us