Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,568
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #680

    Ground Sloth said:
    Why was the CPU microcode update patch for 1709 designed to work only in 1709? They'll probably release the patch new Tuesday. I'm glad I bought a new computer last week and now have the BIOS loading the microcode update.
    you should read MS support KB article 4093836.
    there were other Intel CPU microcode updates for other versions of Win10 listed there, including the RTM/1507 release. also no microcode updates were released for the 1511 version of Win10 and for Win7 & 8.1.

    no microcode updates are available for the 1803 release until perhaps May 8 and Microsoft will have to update their security advisory and support KB article 4073119 to actually mention about the new updates for the 1803 release.

    I'm actually glad I did not update to the 1803 version yet since the updated microcodes are not yet implemented on there. I may updated to that version in the middle of May when MS does release those updates.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,561
    Windows 10 Home 20H2 64-bit
       #681

    My X99 got a BIOS update today, but MSi doesn't recommend me updating to it and it's labeled as beta Guess I'll wait.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 345
    Windows 10
       #682

    erpster4 said:
    you should read MS support KB article 4093836.
    there were other Intel CPU microcode updates for other versions of Win10 listed there, including the RTM/1507 release. also no microcode updates were released for the 1511 version of Win10 and for Win7 & 8.1.

    no microcode updates are available for the 1803 release until perhaps May 8 and Microsoft will have to update their security advisory and support KB article 4073119 to actually mention about the new updates for the 1803 release.

    I'm actually glad I did not update to the 1803 version yet since the updated microcodes are not yet implemented on there. I may updated to that version in the middle of May when MS does release those updates.

    I've had those webpages bookmarked for at least a couple months. What I would like to know is why different versions of Windows 10 require different versions of the CPU microcode update patch. I don't think Microsoft has explained the reason.

    I expect the patch for 1803 will include additional microcode from Intel to mitigate the most serious of the new Spectre exploits that are supposed to revealed next week.
    Last edited by Ground Sloth; 04 May 2018 at 15:11.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,826
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #683

    Hi,

    What I would like to know is why different versions of Windows 10 require a different version of the CPU microcode update patch. I don't think Microsoft has explained the reason.
    Was wondering about that too. Seems like every new version of W10 is like a new OS all on its own....
    After all, this is only a MC emulation, right ?

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #684

    Yeah. More fun. I'm still waiting to see if AMD is asfected....

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,



    Seems like way too fast to have a patch ready by then.

    Cheers,
    Agreed. Even with advanced notice of 3 months....

    This is Micro$oft, after all

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,



    Was wondering about that too. Seems like every new version of W10 is like a new OS all on its own....
    After all, this is only a MC emulation, right ?

    Cheers,
    lmfao - nice one....
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 800
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 19044.1706
       #685
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 19,207
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #686

    My Asus MB just got a new BIOS with a patch for remaining Ryzen vulnerability: (SMU):
    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-image.png
    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-image.png
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 853
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1706
       #687

    Thanks for that, checked my Asus Prime B350-Plus, same bios update 4011 now confirmed as protected. AMD kept that pretty quiet on what they were doing!
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 19,207
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #688

    clam1952 said:
    Thanks for that, checked my Asus Prime B350-Plus, same bios update 4011 now confirmed as protected. AMD kept that pretty quiet on what they were doing!
    That's patch for vulnerability (Spectre2) that some Israeli company found barely a month ago, quite fast reaction.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 2,295
    Win10 202H
       #689

    Faith said:
    My X99 got a BIOS update today, but MSi doesn't recommend me updating to it and it's labeled as beta Guess I'll wait.
    Same Issue with Asus X99 Series , it is suggested that X99 is EOL or beyond Warranty as the reason for this on TechpowerUp , however my X99 is not even two years old yet.....

    ASUS Begins Rolling Out 9-series Chipset Spectre/Meltdown Hardening BIOS Updates | TechPowerUp
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums