Windows 10: Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

  1. Posts : 19,853
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       1 Week Ago #620

    MartinMDL said: View Post
    @Cliff S
    from what i can see in that pdf of yours Intel has by all means released updated uCodes to the public and to OEMs for some of the most common cpus out there such as the sandy and ivy bridge ones, or the haswell one including its refresh. All of those should have been made available by ms through that KB, but that hasn't happened and i sincerely don't understand why.
    I believe Microsoft has only released the ones for the last 3gen CPU(Skylake thru coffee lake), but that is only a patch really, best is when the motherboard OEMs provide an update.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 6,487
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       1 Week Ago #621

    Cliff S said: View Post
    ... best is when the motherboard OEMs provide an update.
    Which, as stated by my OEM, is NOT going to happen. So if neither MS or Toshiba can be bothered with older models how do I get the microcode which Intel have taken the trouble to produce for my CPU?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 19,853
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       1 Week Ago #622

    Bree said: View Post
    Which, as stated by my OEM, is NOT going to happen. So if neither MS or Toshiba can be bothered with older models how do I get the microcode which Intel have taken the trouble to produce for my CPU?
    Basically, like with my laptop and my Lenovo all in one, it's not going to happen.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    1 Week Ago #623

    In my case, even though inSpectre's latest version from GRC said a microcode update is available for my CPUID: 306C3, I don't see anything yet either from KB4090007 or from HP Support page. Rumor has it that some users in the fast ring, who have already installed RS4, got a firmware update for their processor, but some did not.

    I think I will have to wait and see what happens when SCU is finally released.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #624

    Bree said: View Post
    Which, as stated by my OEM, is NOT going to happen. So if neither MS or Toshiba can be bothered with older models how do I get the microcode which Intel have taken the trouble to produce for my CPU?

    I don't know if it would be feasible in your particular situation, but you could move the computer to Linux. Linux has protection against Spectre Variant 2 built into the Linux kernel (Retpoline). And if you want Linux to update the CPU microcode, you can download the update directly from Intel and install it manually. Intel provides instructions.

    Download Linux* Processor Microcode Data File
    Last edited by Ground Sloth; 2 Days Ago at 21:24.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    1 Week Ago #625

    Bree said: View Post
    Which, as stated by my OEM, is NOT going to happen. So if neither MS or Toshiba can be bothered with older models how do I get the microcode which Intel have taken the trouble to produce for my CPU?
    Have sneaky suspicion that those OEM's not providing updates don't have any old PC's / Laptops to test a bios update on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #626

    clam1952 said: View Post
    Have sneaky suspicion that those OEM's not providing updates don't have any old PC's / Laptops to test a bios update on.
    Nah - they just are not prepared yo spend any money on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    1 Week Ago #627

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    In my case, even though inSpectre's latest version from GRC said a microcode update is available for my CPUID: 306C3, I don't see anything yet either from KB4090007 or from HP Support page. Rumor has it that some users in the fast ring, who have already installed RS4, got a firmware update for their processor, but some did not.

    I think I will have to wait and see what happens when SCU is finally released.
    RS5, Skip ahead, gave me new microcode.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 2,477
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       1 Week Ago #628

    cereberus said: View Post
    Nah - they just are not prepared yo spend any money on it.
    I posted recently Gigabyte have produced a new BIOS for some of their older motherboards but can't be bothered to post them on the motherboard support page - see Ridiculous Gigabyte BIOS Support vs. Spectre / Meltdown

    You have to submit a support ticket and Gigabyte will send you the BIOS,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    1 Week Ago #629

    Only asrock provided until now patches for z97 h97 x99 chipsets and above for all motherboards.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

    Related Threads
    The PowerShell script execution policies enables you to determine which Windows PowerShell scripts (if any) will be allowed to run on your computer. Windows PowerShell has four different execution policies: Execution Policy Description ...
    Source: Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog See also update: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums
    Source: Google Online Security Blog: Disclosing vulnerabilities to protect users
    Windows 10 - Need some guidance on recovery in Installation and Upgrade
    One of my spare Windows 10 machines is on life support. I must have clobbered it somehow when I was tweaking the multiple display settings ( to incorporate a HDMI projector). It actually worked fine all week, but today, when I tired to set it...
    Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-offers-it-guidance-to-prepare-for-windows-as-a-service/
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23.
    Find Us