Windows 10: Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

  1.    1 Week Ago #610

    Superfly said: View Post
    I think it only checks the Intel site - it's still up to the OEM or MS to include it in a released version if I understand that new functionality correctly
    You are probably correct about that, but at least now the microcode update is finally available and it really feels good to know that...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    1 Week Ago #611

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    You are probably correct about that, but at least now the microcode update is finally available and it really feels good to know that...
    I really hope you get that MC sorted... I know it's frustrating...hopefully SCU (when it finally arrives -- will have it built in)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    1 Week Ago #612

    Superfly said: View Post
    I really hope you get that MC sorted... I know it's frustrating...hopefully SCU (when it finally arrives -- will have it built in)
    Hopefully..SCU was supposed to be released on April 10, 2018. We got a cumulative update instead of a "Feature" one on that date.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    1 Week Ago #613

    I finally got a bios update for my PowerSpec Desktop. I had to go the the Asus site to get it. Now InSpectre shows that my desktop is protected and the performance is good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #614

    Hi All
    I'm using Build 17639.1000 RS5 and it is updating microcode on two out of three my very old machines. These two now pass the InSpectre tests. (I have NOT updated any BIOS)
    Intel i7-2600, Sandy Bridge, CPUID 206A7
    Intel i7-920, Bloomfield, CPUID 106A5
    Both are still very responsive machines but SSD 4K single thread random I/O is 10-30% slower

    The third machine, is NOT getting updated microcode with this build (unsure why this is being skipped?)
    Intel i5-520M, Clarkdale, CPUID 20655

    Build 17133.73 RS4 did NOT update the microcode when tried.
    Last edited by MUser; 1 Week Ago at 15:26.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 19,826
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       1 Week Ago #615

    New InSpectre release #8: GRC

    Release #8 — Now shows whether an Intel microcode patch is (ever) available for Spectre.
    Intel has finished designing microcode update patches for its processors. On April 2nd, 2018, they announced that processors that have not yet been patches will never be patched. Their full statement is available in this PDF document. In that document, Intel specifies which of their many processors do have patches and which of their more recent processors will never receive updated firmware. Now that the industry has this information, this 8th release of InSpectre incorporates that list of CPUIDs and displays whether microcode firmware updates exist for the system's Intel CPU.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #616

    wasn't MS releasing uCode updates through KB4090007? Does anyone know why they stopped updating the file to include more CPUs? They supported only the last 3 gens of Intel CPUs...what about the rest? Apparently, and if i'm not mistaken, it looks like that the only chance of getting a uCode update for the other cpus is to upgrade to the latest build of windows 10 SCU, am i right? All of the above is obviously considering the lack of official support from MOBO manufacturers such as Asus which have publicly stated that they won't release a bios update for their older models. That's very unfortunate, to say the least.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 19,826
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       1 Week Ago #617

    MartinMDL said: View Post
    wasn't MS releasing uCode updates through KB4090007? Does anyone know why they stopped updating the file to include more CPUs? They supported only the last 3 gens of Intel CPUs...what about the rest? Apparently, and if i'm not mistaken, it looks like that the only chance of getting a uCode update for the other cpus is to upgrade to the latest build of windows 10 SCU, am i right? All of the above is obviously considering the lack of official support from MOBO manufacturers such as Asus which have publicly stated that they won't release a bios update for their older models. That's very unfortunate, to say the least.
    Click the link to the PDF in my post above and read the header
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,446
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       1 Week Ago #618

    MartinMDL said: View Post
    wasn't MS releasing uCode updates through KB4090007? Does anyone know why they stopped updating the file to include more CPUs?
    Cliff S said: View Post
    Click the link to the PDF in my post above and read the header
    That PDF says that microcode for my CPU is in Production. But like MartinMDL I'm puzzled as to why MS haven't released it in KB4090007 (my only hope, as my OEM has stated categorically that there will be no BIOS update for this model).

    The mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll that KB4090007 installs is dated 1st March, MS has not added any new microcode released since then.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    1 Week Ago #619

    @Cliff S
    from what i can see in that pdf of yours Intel has by all means released updated uCodes to the public and to OEMs for some of the most common cpus out there such as the sandy and ivy bridge ones, or the haswell one including its refresh. All of those should have been made available by ms through that KB, but that hasn't happened and i sincerely don't understand why.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  

    Related Threads
    The PowerShell script execution policies enables you to determine which Windows PowerShell scripts (if any) will be allowed to run on your computer. Windows PowerShell has four different execution policies: Execution Policy Description ...
    Source: Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog See also update: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums
    Source: Google Online Security Blog: Disclosing vulnerabilities to protect users
    Windows 10 - Need some guidance on recovery in Installation and Upgrade
    One of my spare Windows 10 machines is on life support. I must have clobbered it somehow when I was tweaking the multiple display settings ( to incorporate a HDMI projector). It actually worked fine all week, but today, when I tired to set it...
    Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-offers-it-guidance-to-prepare-for-windows-as-a-service/
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03.
    Find Us