Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 58 of 75 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #570

    Indeed - and I have set Tapatalk to not subscribe to the forum itself, so it did not make me aware of the new post...
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 3,446
       #571

    Sweet..
    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-capture.png

    Vanilla RS4 .. nothing beats a good bios/UEFI ...
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #572

    Superfly said:
    Sweet..
    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-capture.png

    Vanilla RS4 .. nothing beats a good bios/UEFI ...
    Does that mean you have already downloaded and installed the Spring Creators Update (RS4) and it has updated your BIOS/UEFI. I am just trying to understand. I heard that RS4 is supposedly to be released on April 10, 2018...
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #573

    Windows 10 RS4 SCU has (in all probability) already been released as 17133.1, first to IP, next to RP, and we here at 10F are fairly confident that it *is* SCU, and that there will not be another build number for it.

    And Windows does not ever updated the BIOS / UEFI on machines. That is handled by the manufacturer of the motherboard, or in the case of pre-packaged systems, by the OEM that packaged them (Dell, HP, etc.)
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #574

    johngalt said:
    Windows 10 RS4 SCU has (in all probability) already been released as 17133.1, first to IP, next to RP, and we here at 10F are fairly confident that it *is* SCU, and that there will not be another build number for it.

    And Windows does not ever updated the BIOS / UEFI on machines. That is handled by the manufacturer of the motherboard, or in the case of pre-packaged systems, by the OEM that packaged them (Dell, HP, etc.)
    Thanks for the heads-up. I know that MS does not deliver BIOS/UEFI updates, but my understanding brings me to believe that they are working with some of those manufacturers for mobos in order to come up with a patch that will mitigate the vulnerabilities of Spectre & Meltdown. This is usually delivered via Windows Updates.

    I understand that a mitigation patch is not the same as a real BIOS/UEFI firmware update from the manufacturer, but the post from @Superfly screenshotted above made me wonder whether he had actually updated his BIOS/UEFI from the manufacturer or he had had the SCU before the official release date.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 3,446
       #575

    @IronZorg89

    Yep, firmware update only from the Dell website.

    Code:
    +Registry: HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
      BiosMajorRelease: 1
      BiosMinorRelease: 18
      ECFirmwareMajorRelease: 255
      ECFirmwareMinorRelease: 255
      BaseBoardManufacturer: Dell Inc.
      BaseBoardProduct: 0VHKV0
      BaseBoardVersion: A00
      BIOSReleaseDate: 12/08/2017
      BIOSVendor: Dell Inc.
      BIOSVersion: 1.18.6
      SystemFamily: Latitude
      SystemManufacturer: Dell Inc.
      SystemProductName: Latitude E5470
      SystemSKU: 06DE
      SystemVersion:
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #576

    Superfly said:
    @IronZorg89

    Yep, firmware update only from the Dell website.[/CODE]
    Thanks for letting me know. I am not as lucky as you are. HP Support page has not given yet any sign as to when I will get an update for my CPUID: 306C3 (HP Envy)
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 345
    Windows 10
       #577

    IronZorg89 said:
    I understand that a mitigation patch is not the same as a real BIOS/UEFI firmware update from the manufacturer, but the post from @Superfly screenshotted above made me wonder whether he had actually updated his BIOS/UEFI from the manufacturer or he had had the SCU before the official release date.

    If you get the patch from the Microsoft Update Catalog, then Windows will load the microcode update into CPU memory on startup instead of the BIOS/UEFI. That's the only difference.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 345
    Windows 10
       #578

    What's going on with AMD? At one point they said they were going to release microcode updates to address Spectre Variant 2, but as far as I know they haven't.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,020
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.572
       #579

    Ground Sloth said:
    What's going on with AMD? At one point they said they were going to release microcode updates to address Spectre Variant 2, but as far as I know they haven't.
    Yep - no word about anything since the first reply back in January. I to have an AMD system under the HP label that is in need of something. But the good news my Intel machine is safe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-spectr.jpg  
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums