Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,826
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #40

    Hi,

    At 50+ that long way to the next birthday, seem it fly's pretty darn fast though.
    Brace yourself. I'll be turning 60+ in a couple of months.

    But if my PS is running like it "should" or if something was wrong, I would want to know, because I do understand, PowerShell, is actually a pretty bad security problem, just by its existence


    It is, isn't it ?

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #41

    Cliff S said:
    I didn't take it as lecturing, don't worry.
    But if my PS is running like it "should" or if something was wrong, I would want to know, because I do understand, PowerShell, is actually a pretty bad security problem, just by its existence

    At 50+ that long way to the next birthday, seem it fly's pretty darn fast though.
    Turning 47 in a couple of months myself....ahh, the golden years, no?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 26,343
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #42

    johngalt said:
    Turning 47 in a couple of months myself....ahh, the golden years, no?
    50+ should be called the "Lead" years, because every year older you get, it feels like the more lead in your a$$
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #43

    Cliff S said:
    50+ should be called the "Lead" years, because every year older you get, it feels like the more lead in your a$$
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #44

    This is the result I got after running all three command lines from PowerShell (Admin) Verification as per Shawn's tutorial (first page):

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-powershell-verification.png

    At one point after the second command line, I was asked if I wanted PowershellGet to install and import the NuGet provider now. I put Yes ("y"). After the third command line, I got the results seen at the bottom of the screenshot with three "false" lines and all the rest is labelled as "True". My confusion is about "Suggested actions" highlighted in the red square with a yellow arrow:

    [Install BIOS/firmware update provided by your device OEM that enables hardware support for the branch target injection mitigation.]

    My PC is about two years old. I am on UEFI and in the suggestion they are talking about BIOS/Firmware. Does that mean they are using the terms Bios & UEFI interchangeably?. And how do I get that update from Intel. Can anyone chime in and show me the light at the end of the tunnel?
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 2,826
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #45

    Hi,

    My PC is about two years old. I am on UEFI and in the suggestion they are talking about BIOS/Firmware. Does that mean they are using the terms Bios & UEFI interchangeably?. And how do I get that update from Intel. Can anyone chime in and show me the light at the end of the tunnel?
    UEFI is still a BIOS although an advanced one so, yes they use it interchangeably. Updates will crop up to "secure" OS and CPU's from either your OEM, Intel, AMD or Microsoft (for the OS part and possibly micro code for the cpu).

    It's still early days as they're all still waking up from the season holidays and such. I'd keep an eye on my MB OEM if it were me and check for BIOS/UEFI updates on a regular basis.
    Currently available micro code updates from Intel aren't fixing anything yet and I very much doubt that those updates could cover both Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities fully.

    Cheeers,
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,557
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #46

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,



    UEFI is still a BIOS although an advanced one so, yes they use it interchangeably. Updates will crop up to "secure" OS and CPU's from either your OEM, Intel, AMD or Microsoft (for the OS part and possibly micro code for the cpu).

    It's still early days as they're all still waking up from the season holidays and such. I'd keep an eye on my MB OEM if it were me and check for BIOS/UEFI updates on a regular basis.
    Currently available micro code updates from Intel aren't fixing anything yet and I very much doubt that those updates could cover both Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities fully.

    Cheeers,
    Thanks a lot for your intervention. Really appreciate it. According to what you are saying, the best approach for now is to wait & see while checking for any updates regarding my MB OEM. If I understood correctly "Spectre" is only concerned with Intel processors and "Meltdown" with all the other processors as far as these speculative execution side-channel attacks may affect one's PC.

    In the meantime, I found a link for Intel Detection Tool:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150?v=t

    I am going to give it a try and see what gives.

    Thanks again :)
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #47

    Well, if this don't beat all. This is the kind of thing where I'd like to take all 3 machines, throw them in the garbage, and look for another hobby. The smart phone too. Get a cheapo dumb phone. If this can't get fixed I just may do that. Off to see if I can find a BIOS update I guess....

    Oh and thanks for the article/tutorial, Shawn.


    Attachment 171101
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 3,446
       #48

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Well, if this don't beat all. This is the kind of thing where I'd like to take all 3 machines, throw them in the garbage, and look for another hobby. The smart phone too. Get a cheapo dumb phone. If this can't get fixed I just may do that. Off to see if I can find a BIOS update I guess....

    Oh and thanks for the article/tutorial, Shawn.
    Attachment 171101
    Hmmm.. that one does need some updating...seems all it has is the Win update fix.... firmware is non-compliant..
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 297
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #49

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-untitled.png
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums