Windows 10: Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
  1.    05 Jan 2018 #20

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I would guess: because this is something that Intel, their board partners(the OEMs), and the myriad operating system developers, HAVE to get right the first time around.
    Yup huge rep damage if this is not handled properly... and we know how cosy Intel and MS are... right?

    BTW check the share drop in Intel vs the rise in AMD on Jan 3rd. It's correcting now tho'
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Jan 2018 #21

    tracit99 said: View Post
    In Windows 17046 I start Powershell as Administrator. I check policyexecution status. Then I run Install-Module SpeculationControl. I get this:

    Attachment 171030

    What am I doing wrong?

    EDIT: Works okay in 16299.192.
    Glad it worked for you bud... still can't figure the prob .. really weird!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 19,728
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Jan 2018 #22

    tracit99 said: View Post
    In Windows 17046 I start Powershell as Administrator. I check policyexecution status. Then I run Install-Module SpeculationControl. I get this:

    Attachment 171030

    What am I doing wrong?

    EDIT: Works okay in 16299.192.
    I'm running admin as PS C:\Users\cliff> where as you are running as system32
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	171031
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 531
    Windows 10 Pro 17133.73
       05 Jan 2018 #23

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I'm running admin as PS C:\Users\cliff> where as you are running as system32
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	171031
    Switched to PS C:\Users\rmt. I still get the same results.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 19,728
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Jan 2018 #24

    tracit99 said: View Post
    Switched to PS C:\Users\rmt. I still get the same results.

    Have you already perchance installed it, and need only to run the information command?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	171032
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    05 Jan 2018 #25

    system32 is where Admin resides... seems PS does not recocognise the module to install?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 19,728
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Jan 2018 #26

    Superfly said: View Post
    system32 is where Admin resides... seems PS does not recocognise the module to install?
    But I am running it as admin, but then again with powershell I never know what I'm doing, just copy & paste a command
    No! Really!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    05 Jan 2018 #27

    Hi,

    But I am running it as admin
    Not when you were taking that screenshot, @Cliff S

    But it should work either way unless you have scripting disabled.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1,466
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       05 Jan 2018 #28

    Cliff S said: View Post
    That board(and CPU are definitely EOL
    Ya think? And yet it is breezing through IP builds like no tomorrow.

    Of course, that EOL hardware is also backed by 12 GB of triple channel DDR3, dual SSDs for \System and \Users, and an nVidia GTX 970 for main graphics and GTX 560 Ti 448 Core dedicated to PhysX. So it is doesn't feel nearly as ancient as it actually is....

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    If this is so serious and Microsoft and Intel were informed in June or July..Why so long to even attempt to fix this?
    Ummm, didn't they have a 'product launch right after that? which , for all intents and purposes, still contains the bug....

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I would guess: because this is something that Intel, their board partners(the OEMs), and the myriad operating system developers, HAVE to get right the first time around.
    Which is my argument as to why they pushed back on 10nm builds yet again.

    Superfly said: View Post
    Yup huge rep damage if this is not handled properly... and we know how cosy Intel and MS are... right?

    BTW check the share drop in Intel vs the rise in AMD on Jan 3rd. It's correcting now tho'
    Oh Intel has already badly damaged its public face with its naysaying posts about how there is nothing really wrong - they followed up their initial blog on 3 Jan about how nothing is bad a day later with actual specifics, but in other posts are basically saying "OK, if we're going down we're taking everyone else, including AMD and ARM, with us!"

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I'm running admin as PS C:\Users\cliff> where as you are running as system32
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	171031
    Superfly said: View Post
    system32 is where Admin resides... seems PS does not recocognise the module to install?
    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    Not when you were taking that screenshot, @Cliff S

    But it should work either way unless you have scripting disabled.

    Cheers,
    Yeah, I ran mine directly as admin, and my screenshot shows the entirety of steps performed from start to finish.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 19,728
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Jan 2018 #29

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    Not when you were taking that screenshot, @Cliff S

    But it should work either way unless you have scripting disabled.

    Cheers,
    Make a bet?
    right click run as:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 003.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	171048

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	171049
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    The PowerShell script execution policies enables you to determine which Windows PowerShell scripts (if any) will be allowed to run on your computer. Windows PowerShell has four different execution policies: Execution Policy Description ...
    Source: Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog See also update: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums
    Source: Google Online Security Blog: Disclosing vulnerabilities to protect users
    Windows 10 - Need some guidance on recovery in Installation and Upgrade
    One of my spare Windows 10 machines is on life support. I must have clobbered it somehow when I was tweaking the multiple display settings ( to incorporate a HDMI projector). It actually worked fine all week, but today, when I tired to set it...
    Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-offers-it-guidance-to-prepare-for-windows-as-a-service/
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57.
    Find Us