Windows 10: Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Jan 2018 #200

    what is that tool you all use is it from intel??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Jan 2018 #201

    Hi,

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    Has anybody found or heard anything yet for Intel?. I have an HP Envy 700-329 with CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz. So far, when I check the Intel's site for either a BIOS/UEFI firmware update or the Display Adapter driver update (NVIDIA GeForce GT 635) , there is nothing past December 2017. Last time I checked was yesterday afternoon.
    HP is supposed to make an update available for you, not Intel.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    14 Jan 2018 #202

    Tonyb said: View Post
    what is that tool you all use is it from intel??
    It's linked here:

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities - Page 18 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    14 Jan 2018 #203

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    HP is supposed to make an update available for you, not Intel.

    Cheers,
    Thanks for clarifying on the matter. Maybe I misspoke, but here is the site I usually check for any available update:

    https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00007682
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Jan 2018 #204

    Hi,

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    Thanks for clarifying on the matter. Maybe I misspoke, but here is the site I usually check for any available update:

    https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00007682
    That's it. It may take them a while as a machine with a Haswell cpu is already out of their zone of direct interest commercially spoken. I happen to have a Fujitsu machine (amongst others) with the exact same cpu as you do and no more love from its maker either.

    That said, I don't worry too much about it. If someone decides to hack it then so be it, nothing of interest there just the OS. Anything else is on external drives.
    Just for info, I had it running on a 4790K at one point and it's still a very fast machine compared to machines running I7 6700 and even I7 7700K. It's a keeper.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 179
    Windows 10 (2), Win 8.1 (1), Win 7 (1)
       15 Jan 2018 #205

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    Has anybody found or heard anything yet for Intel?. I have an HP Envy 700-329 with CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz. So far, when I check the Intel's site for either a BIOS/UEFI firmware update or the Display Adapter driver update (NVIDIA GeForce GT 635) , there is nothing past December 2017. Last time I checked was yesterday afternoon.
    I have a HP Envy 700-030 with the same processor and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX645 graphics chip. At the beginning of this thread is a list of manufacturer websites with info about BIOS updates for their systems. When I checked HP's site when this was first posted, it indicated that there would be a BIOS update for the 700-xxx series coming in late February, but the ID for the BIOS was not the same as I currently have. Now that entry is gone. So I don't know what is up. We may be SOL.

    JohnD
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Jan 2018 #206

    Hey JohnD,
    I"m not sure what's up with HP, myself. I've got an HP Envy 17 m7-k010 (i7 4710HQ) and it was listed on HP's site, but the link to the updated bios pointed to the wrong SPxxxx. Now it's been removed from the list and according to HP I'm not vulnerable, despite every tool I run saying I am.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    15 Jan 2018 #207

    johnpd said: View Post
    I have a HP Envy 700-030 with the same processor and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX645 graphics chip. At the beginning of this thread is a list of manufacturer websites with info about BIOS updates for their systems. When I checked HP's site when this was first posted, it indicated that there would be a BIOS update for the 700-xxx series coming in late February, but the ID for the BIOS was not the same as I currently have. Now that entry is gone. So I don't know what is up. We may be SOL.

    JohnD
    The info you provided is really welcome. To tell you the truth, I was not expecting an update anytime soon. I suppose this type of problem with Spectre & Meltdown being able to cause these Speculative Execution Side Channel attacks can take a while to figure out how to fix it. We are talking about a flaw in the architecture of all CPUs. My only concern is that they (manufacturers) don't come out with an update that can cause more harm than good. Let them take their time..:)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    15 Jan 2018 #208

    i my self am patiently waiting on MSI they assure me a fix is coming but now ETA
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    15 Jan 2018 #209

    Eagle51 said: View Post
    Now it's been removed from the list and according to HP I'm not vulnerable, despite every tool I run saying I am.
    :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Related Threads
The PowerShell script execution policies enables you to determine which Windows PowerShell scripts (if any) will be allowed to run on your computer. Windows PowerShell has four different execution policies: Execution Policy Description ...
Source: Mitigating speculative execution side-channel attacks in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog See also update: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums
Source: Google Online Security Blog: Disclosing vulnerabilities to protect users
Windows 10 - Need some guidance on recovery in Installation and Upgrade
One of my spare Windows 10 machines is on life support. I must have clobbered it somehow when I was tweaking the multiple display settings ( to incorporate a HDMI projector). It actually worked fine all week, but today, when I tired to set it...
Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-offers-it-guidance-to-prepare-for-windows-as-a-service/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:52.
Find Us