Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 36
    Windows 10
       #10

    Latest Windows Insider build which supposedly already has the fix applied:



      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7,086
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #11

    Cliff S said:
    Are you guys running as admin?

    It will want to install nuget first if you don't have it installed yet(like if you are a Chocolatey user).
    I got these commends to work by letting PowerShell install nuget and enabling PowerShell scripts (under Settings / Developer Options).

    Change PowerShell Script Execution Policy in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 170
    Win 10 Pro 2004
       #12

    Build 16299.192 & latest BIOS

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-2018-01-05_101719.jpg
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 26,343
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #13

    axe0 said:
    Installed the latest update of Windows and this is how it looks for me, apparently it is for many users like this and means the Spectre bug hasn't been completely patched with a BIOS update. I flashed the latest BIOS version yesterday to patch a previous security problem.
    Attachment 171011
    Yesterday I received both the Cumulative update, and a BIOS update.
    But the BIOS update made no mention about these two problems, or the ME(in BIOS, not the driver inside of Windows) problem. But the SA 00086 tool say's I'm good to go too.
    So ASUS is on the ball(with the new Z370 boards at least)

    Version 1003 2018/01/02
    8.23 MBytes
    ROG MAXIMUS X HERO BIOS 1003
    Improve system performance.
    Improved DRAM compatibility
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 3,446
       #14

    axe0 said:
    Installed the latest update of Windows and this is how it looks for me, apparently it is for many users like this and means the Spectre bug hasn't been completely patched with a BIOS update. I flashed the latest BIOS version yesterday to patch a previous security problem.
    Attachment 171011
    Many OEM's have only the ME bug patch dated pre 12/2017... maybe they are still testing new patches?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #15

    For a laugh, here are the results of my scan on my eVGA X58-based mobo with a Core i7 965 EE (full specs in my profile):

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-processorcheck.png

    I included the full screenshot to show others what exactly I did from the point of opening PowerShell as Admin from the Start context menu.

    Unfortunately, with this hardware being as old as it is, I doubt I will receive any sort of BIOS update for it - the last was almost 7 years ago now.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 26,343
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #16

    johngalt said:
    For a laugh, here are the results of my scan on my eVGA X58-based mobo with a Core i7 965 EE (full specs in my profile):

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-processorcheck.png

    I included the full screenshot to show others what exactly I did from the point of opening PowerShell as Admin from the Start context menu.

    Unfortunately, with this hardware being as old as it is, I doubt I will receive any sort of BIOS update for it - the last was almost 7 years ago now.
    That board(and CPU are definitely EOL
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 25,638
    Windows 11 Pro 22621.1
       #17

    If this is so serious and Microsoft and Intel were informed in June or July..Why so long to even attempt to fix this?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 26,343
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #18

    Josey Wales said:
    If this is so serious and Microsoft and Intel were informed in June or July..Why so long to even attempt to fix this?
    I would guess: because this is something that Intel, their board partners(the OEMs), and the myriad operating system developers, HAVE to get right the first time around.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 573
    Windows 10 Pro 19043.1081
       #19

    Steve C said:
    The above PowerShell com mands don't work for me running the latest version of W10 Pro. What do users need to do to run these commands?
    In Windows 17046 I start Powershell as Administrator. I check policyexecution status. Then I run Install-Module SpeculationControl. I get this:

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities-spec-1.jpg

    What am I doing wrong?

    EDIT: Works okay in 16299.192.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums