Windows 10: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
  1.    11 Jan 2018 #341

    Sonjstar said: View Post
    I've checked with my antivirus and they have applied the fix with the registry. Since I have a AMD machine, I'm wondering if I even attempt to download this patch. I've saw where Microsoft has stopped sending out this update. I did get it, but wondering if I should try to install, since it is messing up some people's computers.
    I would advice you to do a system image backup first ( just in case), and then try to troubleshoot Windows Updates, reboot, and check for updates again. If the latter doesn't give any update, I would try the Update Catalog. At this point, if you still cannot get the update to install, that surely means that you are among those for whom MS has halted the security update for their PC. That also means you will have to wait and see what happens...
    Last edited by IronZorg89; 12 Jan 2018 at 12:23.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Jan 2018 #342

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    I would advice you to do a system image backup first ( just in case), and then try to troubleshoot Windows Updates, reboot, and check for updates again. If the latter doesn't give any update, I would try the Update Catalog. At this point, if you still cannot get the update to install, that surely means that you are among those for which MS has halted the security update for their PC. That also means you will have to wait and see what happens...
    I had already downloaded the stand alone for this up date KB4056892, and it would not install either. So, I've made up my mind to just leave it until I see what Microsoft is going to do. I did a the troubleshooter after it failed on my computer, and all the troubleshooter did was tell me it needed a restart. I just don't think my AMD processor will let it install. Thanks for information and attempt to help me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    12 Jan 2018 #343

    Sonjstar said: View Post
    I had already downloaded the stand alone for this up date KB4056892, and it would not install either. So, I've made up my mind to just leave it until I see what Microsoft is going to do. I did a the troubleshooter after it failed on my computer, and all the troubleshooter did was tell me it needed a restart. I just don't think my AMD processor will let it install. Thanks for information and attempt to help me.
    For now, you are better off pausing Windows Updates and regularly checking for BIOS/UEFI update from your manufacturer site in the meantime. How to pause Windows Updates:

    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/p...ows-10-updates
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    12 Jan 2018 #344

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    For now, you are better off pausing Windows Updates and regularly checking for BIOS/UEFI update from your manufacturer site in the meantime. How to pause Windows Updates:

    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/p...ows-10-updates
    I don't have Win 10 Pro, so there is no way I can pause. I'm using Home Version. I'm just not shutting down my computer, because if I do when I restart, so far, the KB4054517 will starting trying to download on my computer. The KB4056892 is just showing ready to download, on the Update & Security. I'll keep checking the Ten Forum on the News to see if there are new updates. Thanks a lot for trying to help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    12 Jan 2018 #345

    Sonjstar said: View Post
    I don't have Win 10 Pro, so there is no way I can pause. I'm using Home Version. I'm just not shutting down my computer, because if I do when I restart, so far, the KB4054517 will starting trying to download on my computer. The KB4056892 is just showing ready to download, on the Update & Security. I'll keep checking the Ten Forum on the News to see if there are new updates. Thanks a lot for trying to help.
    With Home, set your WiFi / Ethernet connection to Metered. That at least stops big updates from downloading.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Jan 2018 #346

    VBF said: View Post
    With Home, set your WiFi / Ethernet connection to Metered. That at least stops big updates from downloading.
    @Sonjstar,

    I saw @VBF has already answered your question on how to stop WU from downloading/installing in case you only have Windows 10 Home version. I think in your case that is the best thing to do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Jan 2018 #347

    To prevent automatic download & installation of Windows Updates PERMANENTLY, including new builds such as the FCU do the following:

    1) Download Windows Update MiniTool
    2) Go into user interface, on the left hand side you will see 'Automatic Updates', change from 'automatically' to 'Notification mode'

    After doing the above, whenever there are updates, you will get a popup notification that there are updates to install. Run the MiniTool & check for updates. When the one that you don't want to install appears in the list, put a check mark beside it & click on the option to hide it. Then, if you go back and re-run Windows Update, that update will not appear again (IF, by chance, it does show up again after you have hidden it, just hide it again - sometimes this happens maybe due to a minor bug in the program).

    Good luck!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Jan 2018 #348

    Hi, can you confirm that Notify works for Home too on build 1709?
    Winaero's tweaker offers that too- some have said it doesn't work in Home edition, 1709.
    (Notification is also an option in the tutorial on hiding updates).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    14 Jan 2018 #349

    AthanasianCreed said: View Post
    To prevent automatic download & installation of Windows Updates PERMANENTLY, including new builds such as the FCU do the following:

    1) Download Windows Update MiniTool
    2) Go into user interface, on the left hand side you will see 'Automatic Updates', change from 'automatically' to 'Notification mode'

    After doing the above, whenever there are updates, you will get a popup notification that there are updates to install. Run the MiniTool & check for updates. When the one that you don't want to install appears in the list, put a check mark beside it & click on the option to hide it. Then, if you go back and re-run Windows Update, that update will not appear again (IF, by chance, it does show up again after you have hidden it, just hide it again - sometimes this happens maybe due to a minor bug in the program).

    Good luck!!
    Thank you. This Windows Update MiniTool looks excellent. I've just downloaded it and run it with exactly the results I expected!
    However, I am confused (not unusual! )
    It's not an installed program, nor does it set itself to run at startup.
    References to it in the Registry don't seem to relate to running it
    So, how will it notify me before an Update is downloaded?

    Do I need to run it manually periodically or wait for Windows to announce "You need some updates"?
    Or, if it's running will it automatically interrogate the Windows Update process and notify me?
    If so, has anyone set it to run at startup with satisfactory results?
    Finally has anyone used this Integrator?

    Anyone with experience using the mini tool please chime in....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Jan 2018 #350

    Go into user interface, on the left hand side you will see 'Automatic Updates', change from 'automatically' to 'Notification mode'
    That step configures Windows update. So when Windows update scans for updates, you get an Action Centre notification if there are any. That's how I have mine configured:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	172511
    It's making registry changes (as Winaero's tweaker does) or as in the Tutorial here on disabling Windows updates (Option 1 Step 6)
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

    Note- if you want to 'install' something in a zip file that's not intrinsically installable, use NirSofer's zipinstaller.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/zipinst.html
    This creates a folder for the files in the zip file, start menu shortcuts, and an uninstall entry. Convenient.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 1/3: Cumulative Update KB4056892 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054517/windows-10-update-kb4054517 Find Windows 10 Version Number
UPDATE 12/12: Cumulative Update KB4054517 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.125 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963/windows-10-update-kb4051963 See also: Servicing stack update KB4054022 for...
UPDATE 11/30: Cumulative Update KB4051963 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.98 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4048955 163809
UPDATE 11/14: Cumulative Update KB4048955 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.64 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043961 Find Windows 10 Version Number
918929244553482240 917827916217516032 915698213587361792 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16299 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52.
Find Us