Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC Insider

Page 76 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       11 Jan 2018 #750

    johngalt said: View Post
    After my clean reinstall of FCU and joining Insiders, I got 17063 again - and sets is still there.

    Haven't played much with it.

    On a lighter note, even with my brand new install, Timeline is showing stuff going back to the original 17063 install, and from apps like KeePass and IrfanView, not just stock M$ apps, so that is a plus.

    Going to try to play with Sets today some more - right now all my default apps are stock, so that might make a difference, because my system usually has Browser Chooser 2 set as default browser so I can force links (from any app) and URLs to open in the browser is my choosing. But that seemed to interfere with Sets, because instead of automatically opening a tab, BC2 threw its usual popup to pick a browser, do I wasn't really able to explore Sets at all.
    Thanks, John. I'm not expecting perfection at this point for I know it's not complete, but there's a lot missing that's puzzling me is all. I guess I'm chomping on the bits too much.

    IMO this is the real cat's meow. And wow, I wish I had this when in the contracting business. 5, 6, 7 apps open (Office apps and others) tabbing back and forth doing research on estimating a project what is known in the industry as a "takeoff" (taking off the plan/blueprint via an Excel spreadsheet). Then, of course, there's proposals, contracts, bookeeping, inventory, contacts/telephony, scheduling, etc. Even watching the weather for scheduling. You have to get trucks loaded and ready in the late afternoon for the work to do "tomorrow".

    This will be a real time-saver. I can envision it all to be neatly organized as per project. Get 2, 3, 4 projects going in the field along with planned future ones it got to be quite hairy. Also, we now have multiple desktops to even further the organization in that it keeps it all seperated when one may work on more more than one project. Hats off to the MS team that thought of and developed these features.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       11 Jan 2018 #751

    kevin2017 said: View Post
    I Just got sets on one of my machine but not on the others
    Thanks. Please let us know how it goes and what you think of it either way.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,524
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       11 Jan 2018 #752

    Tony K said: View Post
    Thanks, John. I'm not expecting perfection at this point for I know it's not complete, but there's a lot missing that's puzzling me is all. I guess I'm chomping on the bits too much.

    IMO this is the real cat's meow. And wow, I wish I had this when in the contracting business. 5, 6, 7 apps open (Office apps and others) tabbing back and forth doing research on estimating a project what is known in the industry as a "takeoff" (taking off the plan/blueprint via an Excel spreadsheet). Then, of course, there's proposals, contracts, bookeeping, inventory, contacts/telephony, scheduling, etc. Even watching the weather for scheduling. You have to get trucks loaded and ready in the late afternoon for the work to do "tomorrow".

    This will be a real time-saver. I can envision it all to be neatly organized as per project. Get 2, 3, 4 projects going in the field along with planned future ones it got to be quite hairy. Also, we now have multiple desktops to even further the organization in that it keeps it all seperated when one may work on more more than one project. Hats off to the MS team that thought of and developed these features.
    My version of time saver is multiple monitors lol. I find tabbing between applications tedious to having them open side by side, in dual monitors. But when you start talking about more than 4 apps, tabbing becomes the de facto standard on how you do things.

    I am still not convinced that Sets will be all that great, but I am reserving my judgment until I can truly play with it and see for myself. After all, being able to see 2 (or, with large enough widescreen monitors, 3, or even 4) applications simultaneously without having to tab back and forth, is something I have been doing now for very close to 20 years. Using Sets, as I understand it, means I see only one tab at a time (unless I can disconnect the tab from the application and moved it to another monitor).
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,791
    64-bit Win10 Pro Insider Build 17672
       11 Jan 2018 #753

    cereberus said: View Post
    Your jury would be dismissed by the Judge who would have instructed them to vote on it being an oversight. It is just not credible to deliberately design it to be irreversible.

    Occams Razor Principle - The simplest answer is usually correct.

    - obviously an inability to see wood for trees..
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 19,805
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       11 Jan 2018 #754

    johngalt said: View Post
    My version of time saver is multiple monitors lol. I find tabbing between applications tedious to having them open side by side, in dual monitors. But when you start talking about more than 4 apps, tabbing becomes the de facto standard on how you do things.
    Same here, John. When I clean installed FCU, for some odd reason, my second monitor wouldn't show up. I kept wanting to look at the other monitor, but there was nothing there. When I'm working on something, and need comparison, dual monitors are the way to go. If I can see four apps at once, that would be nice, but if I have to tab to see each one ... Until I get into it (haven't had time to play yet), I really don't know what I'm talking about.

    johngalt said: View Post
    I am still not convinced that Sets will be all that great, but I am reserving my judgment until I can truly play with it and see for myself. After all, being able to see 2 (or, with large enough widescreen monitors, 3, or even 4) applications simultaneously without having to tab back and forth, is something I have been doing now for very close to 20 years. Using Sets, as I understand it, means I see only one tab at a time (unless I can disconnect the tab from the application and moved it to another monitor).
    The only drawback to the old method is the "customization of size" necessary to see four apps at once. It can work, but I don't need to buy any more monitors to get up to 27" or 32". :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,791
    64-bit Win10 Pro Insider Build 17672
       11 Jan 2018 #755



    - any news on the update.. (??)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 33,123
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       11 Jan 2018 #756

    BugMeister said: View Post


    - any news on the update.. (??)
    Only the usual. "D" has said nothing, one way or the other. Which means maybe, or no, or yes. Wait till around 1pm ET.....maybe or no or yes.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       11 Jan 2018 #757

    johngalt said: View Post
    My version of time saver is multiple monitors lol. I find tabbing between applications tedious to having them open side by side, in dual monitors. But when you start talking about more than 4 apps, tabbing becomes the de facto standard on how you do things.

    I am still not convinced that Sets will be all that great, but I am reserving my judgment until I can truly play with it and see for myself. After all, being able to see 2 (or, with large enough widescreen monitors, 3, or even 4) applications simultaneously without having to tab back and forth, is something I have been doing now for very close to 20 years. Using Sets, as I understand it, means I see only one tab at a time (unless I can disconnect the tab from the application and moved it to another monitor).
    I agree. I understand what you're saying and, yes, monitors are much larger now and can have multiple to perform your method. Also keep in mind that one may using a laptop or a tablet and not only a desktop PC. For now it looks like tabs can't be torn off. That is a must for this to be useful on a desktop PC for sure.

    Foremost to me it's about organization. When a Set is created with multiple tabs, it stores a memory of all those tabs to open in the future as it showed in the video. In this way we can organize a project or multiple projects. A tab could be torn off to view as one likes, being it side-by-side or on multiple monitors as you say. Here's the trick > If a tab could be torn off to do so, will it continued to be "remembered" after closing out the Sets session? If not, then it's a waste of time.

    Also, we should be able to title these Sets as we like and simply open all the tabs when the Set is opened. Perhaps a keyboard or mouse click context menu with an option to get rid of of a tab as well. All sorts of ideas that I'll be posting in the Hub or in Insiders Corner.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1,524
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       11 Jan 2018 #758

    Wynona said: View Post
    Same here, John. When I clean installed FCU, for some odd reason, my second monitor wouldn't show up. I kept wanting to look at the other monitor, but there was nothing there. When I'm working on something, and need comparison, dual monitors are the way to go. If I can see four apps at once, that would be nice, but if I have to tab to see each one ... Until I get into it (haven't had time to play yet), I really don't know what I'm talking about.



    The only drawback to the old method is the "customization of size" necessary to see four apps at once. It can work, but I don't need to buy any more monitors to get up to 27" or 32". :)
    Win X makes it easy with the shortcuts to move Windows to half the screen, using Winkey + store keys. Having large enough widescreen monitors (only 23”, but @ 1900 * 1280 resolution) I can easily have 4 items spaced evenly across both my monitors.

    I *think* the shortcuts were there in win 8, also, cannot remember if they were in win 7....
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1,524
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       11 Jan 2018 #759

    Tony K said: View Post
    I agree. I understand what you're saying and, yes, monitors are much larger now and can have multiple to perform your method. Also keep in mind that one may using a laptop or a tablet and not only a desktop PC. For now it looks like tabs can't be torn off. That is a must for this to be useful on a desktop PC for sure.

    Foremost to me it's about organization. When a Set is created with multiple tabs, it stores a memory of all those tabs to open in the future as it showed in the video. In this way we can organize a project or multiple projects. A tab could be torn off to view as one likes, being it side-by-side or on multiple monitors as you say. Here's the trick > If a tab could be torn off to do so, will it continued to be "remembered" after closing out the Sets session? If not, then it's a waste of time.

    Also, we should be able to title these Sets as we like and simply open all the tabs when the Set is opened. Perhaps a keyboard or mouse click context menu with an option to get rid of of a tab as well. All sorts of ideas that I'll be posting in the Hub or in Insiders Corner.
    Now *that* is helpful, indeed. But in that case I would say that tearing off of tabs, while useful, would ultimately become less useful, because there would not be an easy way to remember all tabs *and* windows (which, in effect, a turn off tab would become a new window of the same app).

    Hmmmmmmmmm.

    TBH, Sets seems to be an OS level-implementation of basically the same thing I do in FX (and all my browsers, really), as I constantly open links in New tabs from sites to not lose my place on the original site.... And if that is the case, I could easily start using Sets the same way I do now in my browsers...
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 76 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    UPDATE 11/22: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17046 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 931221002532503552 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17040 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
    UPDATE 12/19: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17063 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 938852438303371264 933395243109564416 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17046 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
    UPDATE 11/16: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast+Skip Ahead Build 17040 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 928321775498170368 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17035 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
    918976964165230592 918950777619484672 918884711891550208 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17017 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
    900402809685721088 900405174786695168 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16273 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:22.
    Find Us