Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC Insider

Page 62 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,826
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #610

    Hi,

    I didn't have to do that script enabling step - is that something that is not default for IP buil
    No idea what the default setting is for IP nowadays. But all my RTM machines have it set to "disabled". Seems more secure to me like that and I returned it to that after I read the scripts results.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 56,050
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #611

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,



    No difference really. This is OS related not CPU brand.

    Cheers,
    Thanks! I know just enough about Powershell to be dangerous! :)
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2,491
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #612

    BlackScout said:
    @Jack07

    I guess Insiders aren't fully protected. (And Dona just said the next build is delayed lol)

    I guess whoever said that Insiders were not affected by the Meltdown and Spectre bugs was affected was wrong. Here's my output from a Virtualbox 17063 VM

    h Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC-virtualbox_windows-10-build-17046_05_01_2018_15_03_18.png


    Build 17070 is up. Compiled Jan 2. Thus a guess would be we'd get Build 1073 co compiled today. Now per D.S. tweet that they were working on bugs Insiders reported who will fess up that they told the Inside Team r about the CPU bugs.
    Last edited by martyfelker; 05 Jan 2018 at 15:49.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 298
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (Insider)
       #613

    17073 would make sense, since it's the first one to contain the fix for Firefox. That would mean no build until Wednesday at the earliest, though, and even then only if everything goes perfectly.

    @f14tomcat, which build is that screenshot from, Insider? Because I thought 5715 wasn't actually mitigated.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 56,050
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #614

    rseiler said:
    17073 would make sense, since it's the first one to contain the fix for Firefox. That would mean no build until Wednesday at the earliest, though, and even then only if everything goes perfectly.

    @f14tomcat, which build is that screenshot from, Insider? Because I thought 5715 wasn't actually mitigated.
    FCU
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 3,446
       #615

    Just a heads-up...

    If you set the ExcecutionPolicy to Unrestricted when running this, make sure you set it back to Restricted thereafter... else you are leaving your system vulnerable.

    Btw: the accepted way of excecuting unsigned scripts is with RemoteSigned not Unrestricted.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 61,516
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #616

    Superfly said:
    Just a heads-up...

    If you set the ExcecutionPolicy to Unrestricted when running this, make sure you set it back to Restricted thereafter... else you are leaving your system vulnerable.

    Btw: the accepted way of excecuting unsigned scripts is with RemoteSigned not Unrestricted.

    If you used the command in the news post below to set the execution policy, it will only be temporary for that session until you close the PowerShell window.

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 298
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (Insider)
       #617

    rseiler said:
    On a related note, is anyone seeing the "PCID optimization is enabled" line coming back as FALSE with a CPU that you know supports PCID? That's what's currently baffling me. Tools like Coreinfo.exe show that PCID is available, but the PowerShell script is saying otherwise. I think some setting in Windows must be running interference.
    Finally found the answer to the PCID mystery. Yes, my CPU supports it, but it doesn't support "Invpcid," and PCID needs that. Without it, no PCID.

    You can see the Invpcid state by running the Powershell command with the undocumented switch: -verbose

    The upshot is without the PCID optimizations, the slowdown that occurs with the Meltdown fix will be more pronounced. Fortunately, I never noticed a slowdown in the first place. It would be more of a problem, I think, if this were a server.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3,446
       #618

    Brink said:
    If you used the command in the news post below to set the execution policy, it will only be temporary for that session until you close the PowerShell window.

    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities - Windows 10 Forums
    Hmmm... OIC it's been scoped... haven't seen many using that tho'.. just want to make all aware.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,491
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #619

    rseiler said:
    17073 would make sense, since it's the first one to contain the fix for Firefox. That would mean no build until Wednesday at the earliest, though, and even then only if everything goes perfectly.

    @f14tomcat, which build is that screenshot from, Insider? Because I thought 5715 wasn't actually mitigated.
    That's just what I was figuring. I think I can wait. Running Debian Sid with kernel 4.14 I get up to 70 updates a day and the system is qluite stable. I am using Nightly - don't know if it's patched but I assume so. 3 17063 VMs as well. Cheers
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums