Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC Insider

Page 43 of 82 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #420

    Wynona said:
    And I updated from 17046 just fine . . . go figure.

    Another thing that makes me wonder about non MS support of creating our own ISOs and clean installing, is that Kari has continually helped us with tutorials and instruction on same. So, it can be assumed that Kari's aiding and abetting creating our own ISOs and clean installing, yet he has recently been awarded an MVP. Just doesn't compute that Microsoft would be unaware of Kari's work on our behalf. If they really, really don't want us to have this procedure in our arsenals, it would seem that they'd tell Kari not to do it anymore.

    The issues I have with Build 17063 are minor, but annoying. Today will tell the tale of whether a clean install will eliminate those.

    IMHO it's not that MS doesn't want us to clean install using homemade ISOs. They just will not support using this method.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 607
    latest Win10 Insider build
       #421

    dencal said:
    Everything running smoothly apart from Bluetooth speakers....each time I sort it out it reoccurs on next start up.....keyboard, mouse are also Bluetooth yet are working perfectly.To say its a bloody nuisance is an understatement.....there is no set way to get reconnected, apart from fiddling around such as reinstalling, removing USB, troubleshooting sound problems etc etc.
    Bluetooth speakers working perfectly well for me. I have added, played, turned off, and turned back on two different bluetooth speakers, and each time it performed absolutely as it should. No problems.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 626
    Latest Preview Build
       #422

    17063 is working perfect on this silly little laptop:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC-17063.png  
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,080
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #423

    smactilactus said:
    Bluetooth speakers working perfectly well for me. I have added, played, turned off, and turned back on two different bluetooth speakers, and each time it performed absolutely as it should. No problems.
    The strange thing is on the same desktop I have a quick swop hard drive front mounted....two separate SSD,s....one RTM...the other Insider.
    Both use the same setup.....RTM speakers work.....Insiders I get to work after frustratingly fiddling around.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 3,869
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #424

    bordi said:
    17063 is working perfect on this silly little laptop:)
    Same here. An old Tosh originally with Vista. BIOS and MBR disc.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 13,567
    Windows10
       #425

    Winuser said:
    IMHO it's not that MS doesn't want us to clean install using homemade ISOs. They just will not support using this method.
    Well, they do issue ISOs for Slow Ring, so they DO support it. They just do not issue for Fast Ring, presumably because they would need to keep updating it all the time.

    The update system is designed to cope with either. All they would not officially support is self made isos (and why would they as they have no control over said isos?).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,869
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #426

    Timeline?


    As for Timeline it recognises Edge, Notebook and Photos apps. Not working very well if it ignores everything else including other browsers. Anyone else having better success with Timeline?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 56,050
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #427

    Winuser said:
    IMHO it's not that MS doesn't want us to clean install using homemade ISOs. They just will not support using this method.
    Agree. Unless it's from a released ISO from their servers (generally available to public), they will balk at offering support or listening to complaints. Rightly so. Doesn't make it illegitimate or shady, though. People will turn to whatever tool works for them, and as long as nothing is harmful or illegal, and it's used with common sense, ok. IMHO......
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 2,663
    Windows 11 21H2 (22000.593)
       #428

    f14tomcat said:
    Thanks, John, for all you've pointed out. There may be a little misunderstanding. I am not having any issues with clean installing anything. My issue is the MS accepted and approved method of upgrading from one build to the next. In this specific case, from 17046 to 17063. It simply will not do. Rolls back every time. This is the first time I have had so many problems with it in many, many months. It has always worked fine before. Not this time. The issue is all over Feedback and Dona & Brandon's Twitter. So it's not just me.
    Sorry, I didn't come across clearly enough - what I meant to say was that I suspect that users who have clean installed a fast ring build that was not released to slow ring will probably be asked to try clean installing a slow ring build and then to try to upgrade that way. I'm not saying it should or should not work (while I do believe that it should work even in a clean install situation) but I am saying that that is what I suspect they will say.

    Wynona said:
    And I updated from 17046 just fine . . . go figure.

    Another thing that makes me wonder about non MS support of creating our own ISOs and clean installing, is that Kari has continually helped us with tutorials and instruction on same. So, it can be assumed that Kari's aiding and abetting creating our own ISOs and clean installing, yet he has recently been awarded an MVP. Just doesn't compute that Microsoft would be unaware of Kari's work on our behalf. If they really, really don't want us to have this procedure in our arsenals, it would seem that they'd tell Kari not to do it anymore.

    The issues I have with Build 17063 are minor, but annoying. Today will tell the tale of whether a clean install will eliminate those.
    It's not that they don't want us to have it in our arsenals - its just that, on the scale of the size and breadth of the Insider Program, it's easier for them to not support methods of installation that they themselves have not outlined. There are a lot of things that we can do using third party instructions, but for the sake of testing, since the general public will be receiving OS upgrades via Windows Update, and not by a new .ISO released every time a Fast ring build is published, that is what they want to focus on - what the general public will generally do (pun intended).

    AndreTen said:
    Thanks John. Not sure about jumping to 59.0 alpha Rumors are, they'll fix it in 58 and 57, on the other hand 57.0.3 is out and no fixes, nor in 58...
    Understandable. I use it as a daily driver because I was (until the move to WebExtensions API) testing more than a few addons in the Nightly builds to help devs get a better idea of some of the idiosyncrasies that they might face when the builds went down stream to RTM.

    With WebExtensions throwing a lot of old addons for a major loop, with many, many new bugs being files because WE-based addons don't have near as much access to the vast majority of the Firefox UI as the old XUKL based addons, and that is a big part of the problem for many of the old (aka legacy) addons. One of my favorites is facing an uphill challenge, TabMixPlus....

    Winuser said:
    IMHO it's not that MS doesn't want us to clean install using homemade ISOs. They just will not support using this method.
    Exactly.

    cereberus said:
    Well, they do issue ISOs for Slow Ring, so they DO support it. They just do not issue for Fast Ring, presumably because they would need to keep updating it all the time.

    The update system is designed to cope with either. All they would not officially support is self made isos (and why would they as they have no control over said isos?).
    The method mentioned was using home-brewed .ISOs made from files for builds that were not released as official .ISOs (normally most Fast Ring builds). IOW, if they release an .ISO of the build officially, they support clean installing with that particular build - all others they don't support. That is the issue we were discussing.

    f14tomcat said:
    Agree. Unless it's from a released ISO from their servers (generally available to public), they will balk at offering support or listening to complaints. Rightly so. Doesn't make it illegitimate or shady, though. People will turn to whatever tool works for them, and as long as nothing is harmful or illegal, and it's used with common sense, ok. IMHO......
    Again, agreed. They don't officially support alternate methods - but they aren't going to penalize you for using said methods.

    Like my moving of the \Users tree to a separate drive - it works for me and the way I want to do things, but it is not officially supported by them. I face no penalties and won't be given any warnings other than "We don't support moving those folders to another drive" if I have a problem.

    But, in some viewers' eyes, the refusal to support alternate methods is, in and of itself, the penalty being enforced upon them, so, I suppose it is mostly dependent upon one's PoV. Me, personally, I agree with you - I use what works for me and don;t see their lack of support as a penalty, just a reality.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #429

    cereberus said:
    Well, they do issue ISOs for Slow Ring, so they DO support it. They just do not issue for Fast Ring, presumably because they would need to keep updating it all the time.

    The update system is designed to cope with either. All they would not officially support is self made isos (and why would they as they have no control over said isos?).
    I didn't say they don't support ISOs. I said they will not support homemade(UUPtoISO)ISOs.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums