Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 14
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 build 18363.778
       #1

    Slow download speed after creating Hyper-V External Virtual Switch


    Hello.
    After buying a new PC (its specs are on my profile), enabling Hyper-V and creating a new External Virtual Switch, I notice that the download speed drops dramatically. My internet conneciton is 1Gbps down and 200Mbps up.

    Without External Virtual Switch:

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • Iperf with a host on the same LAN (upload 911Mbps, download 777Mbps):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png
    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png


    • Lan Speed test (746 Mbps upload and 716 Mbps download):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    With External Virtual Switch:


    • CPU usage while on Speedtest (notice the first core is fully maxed out):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • Lan Speed Test (742 Mbps upload and 596Mbps download):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • Iperf with a host on the same LAN (upload 861 Mbps, download 583 Mbps):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png
    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • CPU usage while on Iperf (download) - Notice, once again, Core 1 fully maxed out​:

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png


    Conclusion

    When the External Virtual Switch is enabled, I assume the download speed is lower due to the fact one CPU core is being maxed out, my question is why? Why isn't the load spread throughout the cores?
    Is anyone experiencing a similar issue?

    Regards.
    Last edited by Portugal; 30 Oct 2017 at 20:34.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1
    W10
       #2

    I have the exact same problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 14,404
    Windows10
       #3

    Portugal said:
    Hello.
    After buying a new PC (its specs are on my profile), enabling Hyper-V and creating a new External Virtual Switch, I notice that the download speed drops dramatically. My internet conneciton is 1Gbps down and 200Mbps up.

    Without External Virtual Switch:

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • Iperf with a host on the same LAN (upload 911Mbps, download 777Mbps):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png
    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png


    • Lan Speed test (746 Mbps upload and 716 Mbps download):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    With External Virtual Switch:


    • CPU usage while on Speedtest (notice the first core is fully maxed out):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • Lan Speed Test (742 Mbps upload and 596Mbps download):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • Iperf with a host on the same LAN (upload 861 Mbps, download 583 Mbps):

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png
    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png

    • CPU usage while on Iperf (download) - Notice, once again, Core 1 fully maxed out​:

    Slow download speed after creating External Virtual Switch-image.png


    Conclusion

    When the External Virtual Switch is enabled, I assume the download speed is lower due to the fact one CPU core is being maxed out, my question is why? Why isn't the load spread throughout the cores?
    Is anyone experiencing a similar issue?

    Regards.
    Have you set the number of cores to 8 in hyer-v settings (virtual processor). No idea otherwise.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #4

    As of 1709 a Default Switch is created so you may not need an external switch.

    Details about the Default Switch

    The switch named “Default Switch” or “Layered_ICS”, allows virtual machines to share the host’s network connection. Without getting too deep into networking (saving that for a different post), this switch has a few unique attributes compared to other Hyper-V switches:
    • Virtual machines connected to it will have access to the host’s network whether you’re connected to WIFI, a dock, or Ethernet.
    • It’s available as soon as you enable Hyper-V – you won’t lose internet setting it up.
    • You can’t delete it.
    • It has the same name and device ID (GUID c08cb7b8-9b3c-408e-8e30-5e16a3aeb444) on all Windows 10 hosts so virtual machines on recent builds can assume the same switch is present on all Windows 10 Hyper-V host.
    Hyper-V virtual machine gallery and networking improvements | Virtualization Blog

    You could try that instead (upgrade from 1703 to 1709 and delete external switch) - I don't see this issue on 1709 but then my connection is perhaps too slow (100 Mbps up/down).
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 14
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 build 18363.778
    Thread Starter
       #5

    cereberus said:
    Have you set the number of cores to 8 in hyer-v settings (virtual processor). No idea otherwise.
    Hello cereberus.
    I was not clear in my first post. The slow download speed is not a problem of a virtualized OS, but the Windows original installation. The speed drops as soon as I enable the External Virtual Switch.
    lx07 said:
    As of 1709 a Default Switch is created so you may not need an external switch.
    Hyper-V virtual machine gallery and networking improvements | Virtualization Blog
    You could try that instead (upgrade from 1703 to 1709 and delete external switch) - I don't see this issue on 1709 but then my connection is perhaps too slow (100 Mbps up/down).
    Hello lx07, I already have the 1709, but form what I've read so far, the thing with the Default switch is it used NAT, and I want my VM's to have access to my internal network.

    Regards.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #6

    Portugal said:
    I already have the 1709, but form what I've read so far, the thing with the Default switch is it used NAT, and I want my VM's to have access to my internal network.
    That is true.

    There are a couple of suggestions here if you didn't see it already - either disable VMQ on the NIC or make sure RSS Base processor number is set to 0.

    server 2012 hyper-v vSwitch performance is terrible
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 14
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 build 18363.778
    Thread Starter
       #7

    lx07 said:
    That is true.

    There are a couple of suggestions here if you didn't see it already - either disable VMQ on the NIC or make sure RSS Base processor number is set to 0.

    server 2012 hyper-v vSwitch performance is terrible
    Hello lx07, my NIC does not support VMQ, even using powershell :-(

    Regards.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 v1709
       #8

    I had the same problem and updating my network adapter drivers (in Device Manager) fixed my problem.

    I just installed Windows 10 Pro on a Dell M6800 in Dec 2017, so I thought that all of my drivers were up to date, apparently they were not.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17
    Windwos 10 Pro
       #9

    Try disabling 'Intel Technology Access Filter Driver' on Hyper-V swtch


    Portugal said:
    When the External Virtual Switch is enabled, I assume the download speed is lower due to the fact one CPU core is being maxed out, my question is why? Why isn't the load spread throughout the cores?
    Is anyone experiencing a similar issue?
    I had a similar issue (I was not so thorough as to check all the resource usage graphs though!). In my case, the Hyper-V host (Win 10 Pro) experienced slow networking on downloads only (uploads were just fine), after creating an External Hyper-V virtual switch. Trashing the Hyper-V switch reliably restored download performance.

    My physical adapter is an 'Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V #2'.

    At my wit's end, chasing down driver updates, fussing with RSS paramters (clearly, it was a 'receive side' problem), stressing over absent 'VMQ' attributes allegedly present on some adapters (but not mine) as directed in mindless ways by people on the internet who don't know how to read ....
    ... I finally wondered if one of the protocols bound to the Hyper-V switch was interfering with it. Recall, that when Hyper-V sets up an external switch, it automatically (and blindly) migrates almost all the protocols bound to that NIC, to the new virtual NIC.

    Spotting 'Intel(R) Technology Access Filter Driver' enabled, I reasoned that it may not apply to a Hyper-V virtual NIC, and turned it off.
    Success! Full download speed returned!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17
    Windwos 10 Pro
       #10

    Wherefore the Intel Technology Access Driver, anyway?


    dtbullock said:
    Spotting 'Intel(R) Technology Access Filter Driver' enabled, I reasoned that it may not apply to a Hyper-V virtual NIC, and turned it off.


    "I had better educate myself about what this driver actually does", I thought to myself. Well, if you choose that route, I hope you have better luck than me. This creepy page was the best information I could find about it: Intel Management Engine software now includes an NDIS filter driver

    Cynically, one is tempted to feel that Intel needed a quick & dirty way to help out a US intel agency hit a target, and wrote a handy little app which snuck in via the Management Engine software. That would explain both the denials at Issue with Intel Technology Access Driver |Intel Communities and the current un-informative and defunct product page at Downloads for Intel® Technology Access
    Last edited by dtbullock; 12 Apr 2018 at 20:31. Reason: double-pasted
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:36.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums