Windows 10: Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

  1.    11 May 2017 #1

    Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware


    Hi Folks

    I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc.

    Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found it merits a read.

    The Real Threat to VMware: KVM -- Virtualization Review

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 May 2017 #2

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi Folks

    I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc.

    Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found it merits a read.

    The Real Threat to VMware: KVM -- Virtualization Review

    Cheers
    jimbo
    They say KVM is being adopted in the mass market. I think that is bs - does anybody even know anybody who uses KVM (apart from you I am guessing)?

    It may have a good penetration in the linux market but as far as I can tell this is not a tool for beginners. In the Windows market, clearly virtualbox/vmware are market leaders for Home users and Hyper-V for Pro users etc.

    You say article is reasoned and informative - I thought pretty much the opposite - lots of words but no backup evidence or substance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    11 May 2017 #3

    cereberus said: View Post
    They say KVM is being adopted in the mass market. I think that is bs - does anybody even know anybody who uses KVM (apart from you I am guessing)?

    It may have a good penetration in the linux market but as far as I can tell this is not a tool for beginners. In the Windows market, clearly virtualbox/vmware are market leaders for Home users and Hyper-V for Pro users etc.

    You say article is reasoned and informative - I thought pretty much the opposite - lots of words but no backup evidence or substance.

    Hi there

    I think that's the point - It isn't intended really for the Home market -- there's utterly no reason for it - unless you like "Tinkering" etc.

    What it does show that companies who use loads of servers etc might (and do) save themselves oodles of dosh by looking at solutions based on KVM rather than the fairly substantial costs incurred by using VMWARE.

    On the Windows side using the Ms AZURE cloud for businesses isn't cheap either -- if robust (stable) cheaper solutions can be found then there is a HUGE market for this stuff.

    The base KVM is simply Linux's version of a built in hypervisor akin to Windows HYPER-V - loads of companies providing computing infrastructure via individualized servers to their clients use masses and masses of VM's - Red Hat is an example of a hugely successful company providing service like this.

    The world's open source leader

    The idea of course is to have the "bare metal" Os'es to consume as minimal resources as possible giving the GUESTS maximum flexibility with hardware and performance. The hosting company has all the servers while the client companies run their computing infrastructure on the personalized Guest OS'es.

    Again this is of very small significance to a typical Home user running a few VM's for learning / enjoyment or whatever - but is of very great commercial relevance in the business world -- especially these days where even saving a few cents per device means either making loads of money or going bust.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 May 2017 #4

    From an end users perspective, running a hypervisor on their own local machines, VMWare and Hyper-V are still much better.

    It's true that some companies are finally starting to provide turnkey KVM solutions for the enterprise, but those solutions still fall behind in areas such as storage management (VMWare's vMotion and Hyper-V's Live Motion). KVM has something called savevm and loadvm, which is a lot more complex to manage than either of the other solutions.

    It is improving rapidly though, and may soon achieve some level of feature parity. However, these enterprise solutions are just as expensive as the commercial ones, and the whole "open source" argument is irrelevant since it's not really free (cost-wise, which is the only real reason most enterprises use open source in many cases).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 May 2017 #5

    I have not seen a business using KVM. I have seen Vmware, some Hyper-V, AWS and some talk about Azure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 May 2017 #6

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I think that's the point - It isn't intended really for the Home market -- there's utterly no reason for it - unless you like "Tinkering" etc.

    What it does show that companies who use loads of servers etc might (and do) save themselves oodles of dosh by looking at solutions based on KVM rather than the fairly substantial costs incurred by using VMWARE.

    On the Windows side using the Ms AZURE cloud for businesses isn't cheap either -- if robust (stable) cheaper solutions can be found then there is a HUGE market for this stuff.

    The base KVM is simply Linux's version of a built in hypervisor akin to Windows HYPER-V - loads of companies providing computing infrastructure via individualized servers to their clients use masses and masses of VM's - Red Hat is an example of a hugely successful company providing service like this.

    The world's open source leader

    The idea of course is to have the "bare metal" Os'es to consume as minimal resources as possible giving the GUESTS maximum flexibility with hardware and performance. The hosting company has all the servers while the client companies run their computing infrastructure on the personalized Guest OS'es.

    Again this is of very small significance to a typical Home user running a few VM's for learning / enjoyment or whatever - but is of very great commercial relevance in the business world -- especially these days where even saving a few cents per device means either making loads of money or going bust.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Yeah but way article was written, it sort of implied otherwise.

    I just get irritated by articles that do not back it up with some real statistics. Mind you, 95% of all statistics are made up.

    I could see this is worrying for VMWare - probably less so for Virtualbox?

    Hard to say what impact it would have on the MS Server market?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 May 2017 #7

    pparks1 said: View Post
    I have not seen a business using KVM. I have seen Vmware, some Hyper-V, AWS and some talk about Azure.
    There are a lot of hosting companies that use OpenStack, which uses KVM as the default hypervisor. A lot of others use Xen, but KVM has been eating Xen's marketshare.

    VMWare is losing the lower-end market to KVM.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Read more: Could the future of Android be Windows? | ZDNet
The Future of Pen: Windows Ink in Windows 10 News
Source: The Future of Pen: Windows Ink | Windows Experience Blog
The FUTURE OF WINDOWS OS in General Support
What do you think Windows 10 will be like in the future? Will there ever be another Windows? I get the feeling that Windows 10 will not end up being the last Windows we will ever see no matter how many times they update it. I also think Microsoft...
Although I have seen nothing on the official site I have seen this bouncing around other sites on the web. Here is one of those sites: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/ Wondering...
Hi there Problem with installing VMWARE tools with Windows 10 x-64 using Windows host. Works fine on LINUX host !!!! (VMware workstation rel 10.0.3 build-1895310) Cheers jimbo
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28.
Find Us