Windows 10: Hyper-V VM has no sound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Dec 2016 #1

    Hyper-V VM has no sound


    This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs.
    Expanding and a device called "Remote Audio" appeared this says it is enabled and working properly. STILL NO SOUNDS.

    What is "Remote Audio" and how do I connect it to the sound system in my Win 10 Pro?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    22 Dec 2016 #2

    MacNala said: View Post
    This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs.
    Expanding and a device called "Remote Audio" appeared this says it is enabled and working properly. STILL NO SOUNDS.

    What is "Remote Audio" and how do I connect it to the sound system in my Win 10 Pro?
    Install Pro using Generation 2. If you installed default it will be first generation. Delete your virtual hard drive in users\public\documents, and start over. Once you have installed, RESTART the OS you have installed in Hyper-V. Your sound should be there.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    22 Dec 2016 #3

    flybynite said: View Post
    Install Pro using Generation 2. If you installed default it will be first generation. Delete your virtual hard drive in users\public\documents, and start over. Once you have installed, RESTART the OS you have installed in Hyper-V. Your sound should be there.

    It make no difference if drive is gen 1 or gen 2 for audio.

    The issue is if the install can use enhanced mode or not.

    For example Windows home in a vm only uses basic mode with no audio as it does not have rdp server.

    Windows pro in a vm can use enhanced mode and audio works as it does have an rdp server.
    Linux installs can often only use basic mode.
    Last edited by cereberus; 23 Dec 2016 at 03:52.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    22 Dec 2016 #4

    Thanks to both.
    However I did read the section which described the generation 1 and 2 before choosing generation 2. I installed Win 10 Pro in my VM.
    So I still need help to get the sound active. A description of Remote Audio might help. Also how do I get to Integration Services which I have read might also be relevant.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 10,076
    Windows 10 Pro
       22 Dec 2016 #5

    As Cereberus already told you, vm generation has nothing to do with vm audio. You need to use Enhanced Mode to connect to vm to get audio working, alternatively use Remote Desktop Connection.

    Windows 8 & 8.1 PRO and Enterprise editions as guest OS, as well as Windows 10 PRO, Education and Enterprise editions fully support Enhanced Mode also in generation 1 vm.

    Tutorial: Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    23 Dec 2016 #6

    MacNala said: View Post
    Thanks to both.
    However I did read the section which described the generation 1 and 2 before choosing generation 2. I installed Win 10 Pro in my VM.
    So I still need help to get the sound active. A description of Remote Audio might help. Also how do I get to Integration Services which I have read might also be relevant.
    Have you clicked the enhanced mode button?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    23 Dec 2016 #7

    cereberus said: View Post
    Have you clicked the enhanced mode button?
    What does it look like or where is it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    23 Dec 2016 #8

    MacNala said: View Post
    What does it look like or where is it.
    on toolbar

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_12_23_10_10_421.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	114538
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    23 Dec 2016 #9

    cereberus said: View Post
    on toolbar

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_12_23_10_10_421.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	114538
    Thanks.
    When I hover over it, it says basic Session, after clicking it says Enhanced session.
    Which raises a question.
    When in Enhanced mode the audio works when in Basic mode it does not. There is a another difference when in enhanced mode it is not possible to use a PIN to unlock or open Win 10 in basic mode it is. There is also a difference in the screen aspect ratio. Where can I get info on what is happening?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    23 Dec 2016 #10

    MacNala said: View Post
    Thanks.
    When I hover over it, it says basic Session, after clicking it says Enhanced session.
    Which raises a question.
    When in Enhanced mode the audio works when in Basic mode it does not. There is a another difference when in enhanced mode it is not possible to use a PIN to unlock or open Win 10 in basic mode it is. There is also a difference in the screen aspect ratio. Where can I get info on what is happening?
    For clarity, it is a little confusing. When you hover over the button, it tells you the mode it will change to if you click it ie if you see basic, it is in enhanced and vice versa!

    Aspect ratios are customisable in enhanced mode. I will try and explain how when I get a chance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello, i am having trouble installing the Windows 10 mobile emulator for Visual Studio 2015 First I got this message when I attemped to install the first time (see screenshot 1) Dropbox - install microsoft emulator 1st try.PNG So I went...
I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on...
I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The...
Hi, I just created a virtual machine with Windows XP. Now I'd like to get the sound working in the virtual machine. But I can't see how. Can anyone help, please?
Solved Hyper-V no sound in Virtualization
Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums