Exporting VM with hyper-v

  1. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #1

    Exporting VM with hyper-v


    When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original?

    I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it basically the same for Hyper-v?
      My Computer

  2. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,555
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #2

    cereberus said:
    When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original?

    I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it basically the same for Hyper-v?
    Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    In Hyper-V it works just like a real machine using Macrium Reflect.
      My Computers

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Cliff S said:
    Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    In Hyper-V it works just like a real machine using Macrium Reflect.
    I understand how to do it - my question is if the backup retains the same virtual hardware id as original when you import the backup.

    If not the backup copy could become deactivated if using digital licences as windows will think it is a new machine. I do not want to use RS1 transfer ability as that only can be done a limited number of times.

    I guess I will just have to experiment.
      My Computer

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,555
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #4

    I'm not good at explaining some things, that's why we have Kari.
    I understand the stuff and pick it up fast, but to put what I know, into words, is sometimes hard for me.
    @Kari use VM's daily, and has told me to use the export, so if I really screw up, or get infected, ransomed...etc. I have my machine still and the activation.
    Is this what you are asking?
    Or have I misunderstood something?
    Also in the Video thread, Kari has wiped the VM's disk, then clean installed into ´same VM some so the ID and Digital License remains.
    Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 113 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,484
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #5

    Hi there

    VM's may or may not require re-activation when you move them on to new hardware -- I'm not sure what the criterion is --sometimes you "get lucky" other times you get a prompt -- and then if you are still "lucky" it will activate.

    I suppose it depends on how "para-virtualized" the VM is - and how much the VM is using REAL rather than "Virtualised" hardware.

    I'd just try it and see -- you don't lose activation of your original VM.

    Ms has never been particularly happy with VM's - but It would be really nice to get say an "Individual developers" license where you could get a load of activations while testing stuff - and this should be at an affordable price for individuals and hobbyists - not some mega expensive corporate licensing deal or even an OEM deal - both too expensive for "casual" developers. !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  6. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,328
       #6

    cereberus said:
    I understand how to do it - my question is if the backup retains the same virtual hardware id as original when you import the backup.

    If not the backup copy could become deactivated if using digital licences as windows will think it is a new machine. I do not want to use RS1 transfer ability as that only can be done a limited number of times.

    I guess I will just have to experiment.
    Seems Hyper-V can behave similar to changing UUID in VMware's .vmx - just needs to be done via WMI.

    http://monox.mono-software.com/blog/post/Mono/142/Setting-hardware-UUID-in-Hyper-V-and-ProxMox/
      My Computer

  7. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    cereberus said:
    When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original?

    I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it basically the same for Hyper-v?
    Exporting a Hyper-V vm keeps everything, GUID always remains the same, original. It's the importing that determines if old GUID and for instance activation will be kept or not.

    If imported registering vm in-place or restoring vm, GUID is kept (green highlight in screenshot below). If importing copying vm a new GUID will be created (red highlight). See tutorial Method One Step 6 for explanation for these three import methods: Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Import in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Exporting VM with hyper-v-image.png




    Kari
      My Computer

  8. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,555
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #8

    Kari said:
    Exporting a Hyper-V vm keeps everything, GUID always remains the same, original. It's the importing that determines if old GUID and for instance activation will be kept or not.

    If imported registering vm in-place or restoring vm, GUID is kept (green highlight in screenshot below). If importing copying vm a new GUID will be created (red highlight). See tutorial Method One Step 6 for explanation for these three import methods: Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Import in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Exporting VM with hyper-v-image.png




    Kari
    Damn! I forgot that you told me about that.
    I should have remembered, but such things, I remember only as I do them.
    Would rep you, but I got to spread the love first
      My Computers

  9. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thanks guys - I understand now.

    Marked as solved.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums