installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,119
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    installing Win 10 into Microsoft Virtual Machine - no tutorial?


    I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing something, because I can't get the VM to recognize that USB drive.

    x509
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    x509 said:
    I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing something, because I can't get the VM to recognize that USB drive.
    You can't really use USB drives like that with Hyper-V. You should instead use an ISO image, which you can assign to the VM as a CD-Rom.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,119
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Mystere said:
    You can't really use USB drives like that with Hyper-V. You should instead use an ISO image, which you can assign to the VM as a CD-Rom.
    Sorry for being so dense here. I downloaded the ISO, but I can't seem to get the VM to detect that ISO. Drag-and-drop did not work. Selecting the ISO and doing a right-click didn't help either.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       #4

    x509 said:
    I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing something, because I can't get the VM to recognize that USB drive.

    x509
    See if this helps:

      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,119
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Slartybart said:
    See if this helps:
    Slartybart,

    You betchum!

    This tutorial is what I was looking for but did not find, probably becuase I was looking in the wrong place. I'm printing it out now, and I will study it tomorrow and follow the steps. But even a quick scan shows that it will help me out completely.

    x509
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,119
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    x509 said:
    Slartybart,

    You betchum!

    This tutorial is what I was looking for but did not find, probably becuase I was looking in the wrong place. I'm printing it out now, and I will study it tomorrow and follow the steps. But even a quick scan shows that it will help me out completely.

    x509
    I just wanted to tell you guys that the tutorial was easy to follow and I had no problems (unlike before) in creating a Hyper-V VM and then installing Windows 10.

    Only weird thing is that after doing this, I couldn't acceess the internet. I opened up Properties (or Configuration, forget which) and discovered that all the check boxes were unchecked! So i fixed that, rebooted twice, and now I have internet access again.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       #7

    Glad you got is sorted
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 13,545
    Windows10
       #8

    x509 said:
    I thought I could use the same USB created with the Media Creation tool, that I used to create a regular Win 10 installation. But I'm missing something, because I can't get the VM to recognize that USB drive.

    x509
    Not directly related, but you can get hyper-v to recognise usb drives - see posts 10 to 17 on

    Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    cereberus said:
    Not directly related, but you can get hyper-v to recognise usb drives - see posts 10 to 17 on

    Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    Yes, but this is through the Enhanced session functionality. The drive can't be recognized when installing the OS because you're not running in Enhanced mode at that time.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 13,545
    Windows10
       #10

    Mystere said:
    Yes, but this is through the Enhanced session functionality. The drive can't be recognized when installing the OS because you're not running in Enhanced mode at that time.
    That is why I said not directly related. I actually looked on web how to use a usb (not for installing) and all the articles said it was not possible, difficult etc. The articles were over two years old. I did not see any recent articles though explaining how to do it with enhanced mode.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums