Windows 10: Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    26 Feb 2016 #1

    Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v


    Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed. When I run the VM, it runs the install from the iso file, and gives several options for the install, the first of which is to create a new install, erasing all data from the existing hard drives.
    I'd just like confirmation, before I hit go, that the install will erase all data only from the VM drive/folder selected, and not my complete Windows 10 installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 21,752
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       26 Feb 2016 #2

    mpeill said: View Post
    Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed. When I run the VM, it runs the install from the iso file, and gives several options for the install, the first of which is to create a new install, erasing all data from the existing hard drives.
    I'd just like confirmation, before I hit go, that the install will erase all data only from the VM drive/folder selected, and not my complete Windows 10 installation.
    As long as you are doing this in your Hypervisor, it will not affect your system at all. It's just your VHD(virtual hard disk) that gets formatted.
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,227
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       26 Feb 2016 #3

    mpeill said: View Post
    Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed. When I run the VM, it runs the install from the iso file, and gives several options for the install, the first of which is to create a new install, erasing all data from the existing hard drives.
    I'd just like confirmation, before I hit go, that the install will erase all data only from the VM drive/folder selected, and not my complete Windows 10 installation.
    I have less than minimum knowledge on Ubuntu.
    However, I have had some experience running Linux 17.2 "live CD" on my Windows 10 Home laptop.
    Insert the Live CD to the dvd drive to run Linux > remove CD to return to Win 10 Home.
    That simple.
    You can do exactly the same with a Live CD Ubuntu.
    You can mess up anyway you want while running Ubuntu and it won't affect your Windows 10 one bit.

    What's my point ?
    That you can save the trouble of creating a VM and installing Ubuntu/Linux into it.
    Just thought I would offer an alternative.
    Sorry if I have gone off topic.
    Last edited by davidhk; 27 Feb 2016 at 00:40.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,932
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       26 Feb 2016 #4

    It will run rally slow. Get one of the lighter weight Distro's out there. It will still be Ubuntu, just a faster GuI.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,932
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       26 Feb 2016 #5

    davidhk you can run Linux on a USB microSD card or stick. You need to use a Class 10 device.

    I run Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry Pi 2 that is a Armv7 Quad 700mhz, 1 GB RAM. Makes for a nice test bench for playing with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,227
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       26 Feb 2016 #6

    bro67 said: View Post
    It will run rally slow. Get one of the lighter weight Distro's out there. It will still be Ubuntu, just a faster GuI.

    When I ran Linux 17.2 in Live CD, it did not appear to be slow at all.

    However, Speed is relative.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,227
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       26 Feb 2016 #7

    bro67 said: View Post
    davidhk you can run Linux on a USB microSD card or stick. You need to use a Class 10 device.

    I run Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry Pi 2 that is a Armv7 Quad 700mhz, 1 GB RAM. Makes for a nice test bench for playing with.
    Thank you.
    I already have one installed on my DVD.
    It still works flawlessly, although I seldom "play" with it lately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Feb 2016 #8

    I run Mint Mate in virtual and the performance is great. If it ran any faster, I would get whiplash.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,418
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       27 Feb 2016 #9

    davidhk said: View Post
    When I ran Linux 17.2 in Live CD, it did not appear to be slow at all.

    However, Speed is relative.
    Mine ls Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on a 3GHz Dell Optiplex Desktop and a 2GHz HP Notebook [both 64-bit] and have quite acceptable performance, in some instances better than Win7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,227
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       27 Feb 2016 #10

    Berton said: View Post
    Mine ls Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on a 3GHz Dell Optiplex Desktop and a 2GHz HP Notebook [both 64-bit] and have quite acceptable performance, in some instances better than Win7.
    Mine is Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The...
Solved would like to go to Ubuntu in Installation and Upgrade
Hi all, thanks to the downloads on the 24th I have lost most of my programs (kindly listed by Microsoft) , my gmail account remained. I cannot go back to 8.1, but would like to go to Ubuntu. Can someone tell me how to uninstall win 10 . thanks R
When I boot PC, it takes me to the automatic repair thing & says that it couldn't fix my problem. It has the system restore, etc. When I try to reset it says a disk is locked or something, either way none of the options worked. I tried booting...
Solved Deleting Ubuntu in Installation and Upgrade
All over the net there are tons of fanboys yelling at how windows sucks and Linux is a gift from god, I decided I wanted to try it out to see what the whole fuss was about. I am not computer illiterate by any means so I installed ubuntu 15.04, it...
I thought I would try out Hyper-V for the first time ever. However I'm getting an error message when installing it. 32482
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27.
Find Us