Product Key and virtual machine


  1. Posts : 4
    OSX
       #1

    Product Key and virtual machine


    I installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox on my Mac. When installing I entered the Product Key that I got when I purchased Windows 10. Now I am planning to use the same key elsewhere. Should I do something before I delete the virtual Windows 10 from VirtualBox? Thank you.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,281
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    Nothing that will really help. You can remove the product key from the local machine but that won't change anything already stored on Microsoft activation servers.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4
    OSX
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thank you. How can I remove the product key from the local machine? Please note that it is installed on a VirtualBox as a VM. And does that help me to reuse it elsewhere?
      My Computer


  4. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #4

    If it is a retail key, you can reuse it. But you will have to call Microsoft.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,281
    Windows 11 Pro
       #5

    rohithvsm said:
    Thank you. How can I remove the product key from the local machine? Please note that it is installed on a VirtualBox as a VM. And does that help me to reuse it elsewhere?
    It won't help you reuse it because it won't change what Microsoft has stored on their servers. I do not know if Microsoft changed their policy on reusing Windows 10 retail product keys but up through Windows 8.1 Microsoft allows a certain number of automatic internet activations of the same key and then it gets blocked from automatic internet activation and you have to use phone activation and tell the computer you have it installed on only one computer.

    From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

    slmgr /cpky <enter>
    slmgr /upk <enter>

    The /cpky clears the product key from the registry and /upk uninstalls the product key (which deactivates the Windows installation).
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4
    OSX
    Thread Starter
       #6

    NavyLCDR said:
    It won't help you reuse it because it won't change what Microsoft has stored on their servers. I do not know if Microsoft changed their policy on reusing Windows 10 retail product keys but up through Windows 8.1 Microsoft allows a certain number of automatic internet activations of the same key and then it gets blocked from automatic internet activation and you have to use phone activation and tell the computer you have it installed on only one computer.

    From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

    slmgr /cpky <enter>
    slmgr /upk <enter>

    The /cpky clears the product key from the registry and /upk uninstalls the product key (which deactivates the Windows installation).
    Thank you very much.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 4
    OSX
    Thread Starter
       #7

    whs said:
    If it is a retail key, you can reuse it. But you will have to call Microsoft.
    Thank you. I will probably call them.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,281
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    rohithvsm said:
    Thank you. I will probably call them.
    Please come back and tell us what they say.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums