Windows 10: Hyper V or VMWare?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    20 Feb 2016 #21

    Hello Kari,

    Thank you so much for your extensive help in this thread!

    On quick question: Where do I find the menu you have shown in your screenshot so that I can have better integrated services? (in the attachment link in your comment quoted below)

    Thank you much!
    LIOTB


    Kari said: View Post
    Yes. Depending on your needs you can assign a vm an external virtual switch (full network & Internet connectivity), an internal switch (full network connectivity, no Internet) or a private switch (network connectivity only between virtual machines using the same private switch, no connection to host, no Internet).


    Again, depending on the switch you have assigned to vm. External and Internal switches = full network connections between host and virtual machines, private = no connection to host.


    Enhanced Mode (guest w. 8 or later, Server 2012 or later, Red Hat Linux Enterprise, CentOS Linux) all host devices can be used, see below. On guests running 7 or older Windows or other than mentioned Linux the same can be achieved by using Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the vm.

    In enhanced mode it can see everything:
    The enhanced mode basically brings the best of RDP to Hyper-V.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    21 Feb 2016 #22

    Hi there

    Main disadvantages in HYPER-V from my point of view are :

    1) Hideous USB support so quite difficult to add any sort of specialized hardware to the GUEST OS if done via USB connection

    2) Sound support on the GUEST is limited (if even possible --Kari would have a better answer for that)

    3) You need W8/8.1/W10 PRO or above editions to run it --won't work on HOME premium editions as HYPER-V isn't installed on those editions (or even available).

    4) fiddly sharing HDD's on your network with the Guest.

    I have an XP VM machine that has a load of specialized hardware - the hardware drivers install just fine in the VM itself when running VMWARE workstation.

    It really depends on what you want your guest to do -- whether you need to add a load of hardware or just for "Officy" things and general Windows testing.

    If you don't like VMware VBOX is another alternative to HYPER-V.

    What I would be interested in seeing working is a HYPER-V type of installation without the Windows overhead (rather like Esxi) with some passthru to the VM of actual hardware --that would make for a very interesting use of HYPER-V for running a decent load of Virtual Servers -- any help here Kari !!!!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,436
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709 (FCU build 16299.248)
       01 Mar 2018 #23

    I have not really tested Hyper-V, I used only 1-2 times, but I have tested VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox and old Microsoft Virtual PC. From these VMWare is by far the best and more featured. Pity it is not free, but good things come at a price.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Mar 2018 #24

    spapakons said: View Post
    I have not really tested Hyper-V, I used only 1-2 times, but I have tested VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox and old Microsoft Virtual PC. From these VMWare is by far the best and more featured. Pity it is not free, but good things come at a price.
    Hi there
    VMWARE PLAYER is free for home (i.e non commercial) users. You can create VM's etc with it - perfectly good if you don't need the full functionality of VMware workstation which is a chargeable professional product.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,436
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709 (FCU build 16299.248)
       05 Mar 2018 #25

    You are right. Once you have created (or downloaded) the virtual machine, then you can use VMWare Player for free to load it. The only disadvantage is that you cannot create a new virtual machine with the player (you could modify an existing one though...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Mar 2018 #26

    spapakons said: View Post
    You are right. Once you have created (or downloaded) the virtual machine, then you can use VMWare Player for free to load it. The only disadvantage is that you cannot create a new virtual machine with the player (you could modify an existing one though...)
    When has that changed? All the VMware testing I have done, I have always used the free Player version, always being able to create virtual machines.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 744
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)
       05 Mar 2018 #27

    That was the case quite a few years ago (10?) but is no longer the case. VMWarePlayer is perfectly capable of creating new VMs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    06 Mar 2018 #28

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Main disadvantages in HYPER-V from my point of view are :

    1) Hideous USB support so quite difficult to add any sort of specialized hardware to the GUEST OS if done via USB connection

    2) Sound support on the GUEST is limited (if even possible --Kari would have a better answer for that)

    3) You need W8/8.1/W10 PRO or above editions to run it --won't work on HOME premium editions as HYPER-V isn't installed on those editions (or even available).

    4) fiddly sharing HDD's on your network with the Guest.

    I have an XP VM machine that has a load of specialized hardware - the hardware drivers install just fine in the VM itself when running VMWARE workstation.

    It really depends on what you want your guest to do -- whether you need to add a load of hardware or just for "Officy" things and general Windows testing.

    If you don't like VMware VBOX is another alternative to HYPER-V.

    What I would be interested in seeing working is a HYPER-V type of installation without the Windows overhead (rather like Esxi) with some passthru to the VM of actual hardware --that would make for a very interesting use of HYPER-V for running a decent load of Virtual Servers -- any help here Kari !!!!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Ok, I know this is an old post but this thread has been resurrected.

    Just want to say items 1,2 and 4 only really applies to basic mode nowadays.

    All these items are easy in enhanced mode now.

    Item 1 is still partly true when attaching usb devices other than usb drives though to be fair.

    Also item 3 is true but there is a simple "fix" to enable enhanced mode on Home but remains true for other OSs of course.

    I only say this as things have moved on since original post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Related Threads
    Vmware or virtualbox? in Virtualization
    I have tested out vmware workstation and virtualbox and can't decide which is best, can you help me?
    VMWare 11.1 is out in Virtualization
    For those who are always in the need to keep up to date on software then let it be known VMWare 11.1 and VMWare Player 7.1 are out and, on the street.
    VMWARE webcast in Software and Apps
    https://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/Server.nxp?LASCmd=AI:1;F:US!100&PreviousLoginCount=0&ForceProfileToBeFilledOut=0&DisplayItem=NULL&ShowFrameFormatOverride=NULL&RandomValue=1422009193203
    HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network....
    Hi there Problem with installing VMWARE tools with Windows 10 x-64 using Windows host. Works fine on LINUX host !!!! (VMware workstation rel 10.0.3 build-1895310) Cheers jimbo
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:55.
    Find Us