install 32 windows 10 on previously installed 64 bit version

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. reddwarf4ever's Avatar
    Posts : 1,244
    windows 10 PRO
       #1

    install 32 windows 10 on previously installed 64 bit version


    I upgraded a PC from windows 64 bit W8 to W10 64bit but some old software I have only runs on W10 32 bit. can I reinstall W10 32 bit, or restore the PC to windows 8 64 bit and then upgrade to W10 32 bit.

    thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 609
    W10
       #2

    From the licence, you can change the Windows edition from 64 to 32 bit. However, technically there is no upgrade path for this. So what you need to do is a clean installation of Windows 10 32 Bit.

    Note that running a 64 bit OS on a 64 bit processor is what actually is recommended. If at all possible, instead of changing the itness of the OS, you should maybe better check, if you can get the old program working, maybe by using a newer version.
      My Computer

  3. reddwarf4ever's Avatar
    Posts : 1,244
    windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Joergi said:
    From the licence, you can change the Windows edition from 64 to 32 bit. However, technically there is no upgrade path for this. So what you need to do is a clean installation of Windows 10 32 Bit.

    Note that running a 64 bit OS on a 64 bit processor is what actually is recommended. If at all possible, instead of changing the itness of the OS, you should maybe better check, if you can get the old program working, maybe by using a newer version.
    thanks
    as the current W10 is activated, will I be able to do a clean install of W10 32bit ? the program is a very old GSP money matters, which is very important and runs perfectly on my W10 32 bit laptop, but I get a yellow warning box on the 64 bit W10 saying it's not suitable or similar....tried all the compatibility options inc troubleshooting....but no good, The virtual machine option seems the only other way round this.....just wish I could persuade it to run in 64 bit...
      My Computer

  4. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,809
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 2009 (build 19042.962)
       #4

    The virtual machine option seems the only other way round this
    I would use that then you have the best of both worlds
      My Computer

  5. reddwarf4ever's Avatar
    Posts : 1,244
    windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       #5

    hTconeM9user said:
    I would use that then you have the best of both worlds
    If I use Hyper-V virtualization - can I switch between W10 and the virtual OS whilst running ? or do I need to boot into the OS I need
    thanks
      My Computer

  6. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #6

    You can use a virtual PC software such as VirtualBox (there are others) and install the 32-bit version there. The install your software on the 32-bit windows. Unless it needs access to hardware such as some expansion card, parallel port, USB etc it will work fine. If you need access to serial, parallel or USB this is possible with VMWare Workstation, but it is not free. You could download the trial version, create your virtual machine and then use the free VMWare Player to use the virtual machine, but I'm not sure if the free player version can use USB and other devices.
      My Computer

  7. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #7

    reddwarf4ever said:
    If I use Hyper-V virtualization - can I switch between W10 and the virtual OS whilst running ? or do I need to boot into the OS I need
    thanks
    Hyper-V is the successor to Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows Virtual PC. You can set it up and create a virtual machine there. Then install 32-bit windows, but I don't know if it has access to external devices and ports, should you need them. It certainly has access to video, audio and network. I didn't mentioned it as it is not available in Windows 10 Home, and I didn't know if you have Home or Pro. For better performance, make sure you have enabled hardware virtualization in the BIOS (see manual), if your motherboard and CPU support it. A virtual machine runs in a window or full-screen like an application. You don't have to reboot to use it! Memory allowed you can run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (host), Windows 32-bit and Linux in parallel and even copy-paste from one to the other!
      My Computer

  8. reddwarf4ever's Avatar
    Posts : 1,244
    windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       #8

    spapakons said:
    Hyper-V is the successor to Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows Virtual PC. You can set it up and create a virtual machine there. Then install 32-bit windows, but I don't know if it has access to external devices and ports, should you need them. It certainly has access to video, audio and network. I didn't mentioned it as it is not available in Windows 10 Home, and I didn't know if you have Home or Pro. For better performance, make sure you have enabled hardware virtualization in the BIOS (see manual), if your motherboard and CPU support it. A virtual machine runs in a window or full-screen like an application. You don't have to reboot to use it! Memory allowed you can run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (host), Windows 32-bit and Linux in parallel and even copy-paste from one to the other!
    i am installing it on a W10 pro PC
    I am following the tutorial....but when installing an OS the option to install from a CD /DVD was not there, so I am creating an ISO image of my XP pro diskinstall 32 windows 10 on previously installed 64 bit version-image.jpg
    also at this stage there is no network connection showing only the option to. create one, although I did this in an earlier stepinstall 32 windows 10 on previously installed 64 bit version-image.jpg
      My Computer

  9. Phone Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,320
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit
       #9

    According to the EULA each Virtual machine requires a separate license.

    Jim
      My Computer

  10. reddwarf4ever's Avatar
    Posts : 1,244
    windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Phone Man said:
    According to the EULA each Virtual machine requires a separate license.

    Jim
    sorry don't understand that....just got to the end and it didn't work then saw that for vista and earlier there is a different procedure......didn't realise...pity there isn't two separate procedures in the tutorials one for W7 and above and Vista and earlier.....have removed the virtual machine from programs and features, assume this will delete everything I have done and will start again....

    thanks
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums