Clipboard exchange doen't work on Windows 11 Hyper-V


  1. Posts : 6
    Windows11
       #1

    Clipboard exchange doen't work on Windows 11 Hyper-V


    Hi,
    My 1st question: if I have similar problems on Windows11, is it the right place to ask my questions ?
    And if not - could you kindly recommend me, where can I ask (about Windows11 Hyper-V problems) ?
    Thanks !
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 240
    Dual Boot Windows 11 & 10, usually latest version
       #2
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 15,483
    Windows10
       #3

    zvidan said:
    Hi,
    My 1st question: if I have similar problems on Windows11, is it the right place to ask my questions ?
    And if not - could you kindly recommend me, where can I ask (about Windows11 Hyper-V problems) ?
    Thanks !
    Clipboard exchange only works if guest OS can act as an RDP server. So it will not work for Home, but will for Pro.

    In general, it will not work for most Linux distros unless xrdp is setup.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6
    Windows11
    Thread Starter
       #4

    cereberus said:
    Clipboard exchange only works if guest OS can act as an RDP server. So it will not work for Home, but will for Pro.
    In general, it will not work for most Linux distros unless xrdp is setup.
    My host OS is Windows 11 Enterprise (21H2), working with RDP as server&client.
    The guest (through Hyper-V Manager) is SUSE (SLES15), "Enhanced session mode" is enabled, xrdp is installed.
    When trying to perform the menu item "Clipboard/Type clipboard text" (at Virtual Machine Connection) nothing happens inside SLES15 virtual machine ...
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 15,483
    Windows10
       #5

    zvidan said:
    My host OS is Windows 11 Enterprise (21H2), working with RDP as server&client.
    The guest (through Hyper-V Manager) is SUSE (SLES15), "Enhanced session mode" is enabled, xrdp is installed.
    When trying to perform the menu item "Clipboard/Type clipboard text" (at Virtual Machine Connection) nothing happens inside SLES15 virtual machine ...
    Sorry, I am not familiar with that guest.

    Are you getting the xrdp login screen when starting the guest?

    You need to get that to login in enhanced mode. I have done it with Kali distro, and it works fine.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows11
    Thread Starter
       #6

    cereberus said:
    Sorry, I am not familiar with that guest.
    Are you getting the xrdp login screen when starting the guest?
    You need to get that to login in enhanced mode. I have done it with Kali distro, and it works fine.
    No, I don't have xrdp login screen when starting SLES15 inside VM...
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 15,483
    Windows10
       #7

    zvidan said:
    No, I don't have xrdp login screen when starting SLES15 inside VM...
    Have you done the powershell command needed.

    Clipboard exchange doen't work on Windows 11 Hyper-V-s.png

    also this may give some clues.

    How to Enable Hyper-V Enhanced Session for Ubuntu 20.04 VMs
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows11
    Thread Starter
       #8

    cereberus said:
    Have you done the powershell command needed.

    Clipboard exchange doen't work on Windows 11 Hyper-V-s.png

    also this may give some clues.

    How to Enable Hyper-V Enhanced Session for Ubuntu 20.04 VMs
    Suggested PShell command has been successfully done. I even have invoked it 2 times: when Hyper-V manager open (running) and close, then launched it again.
    Unfortunately, clipboard continues not working (with my SLES15 VM)...
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,325
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #9

    We've covered some copy paste in Hyper-V Linux VMs a while back.

    Take a look at this thread:
    how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm

    There at post #7 it's all summarized.

    You will need to install all packages in VM and make sure the (hypervfcopyd) service is running.
    For SUSE should be similar to the example I posted from a Fedora VM.
    Last edited by Hopachi; 21 Mar 2023 at 04:07. Reason: added more specific info
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums