Recover a Drive Image from Host machine USB drive to VM guest m.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 102
    Windows 7and Windows 10 on 2 part.
       #1

    Recover a Drive Image from Host machine USB drive to VM guest m.


    Hi

    I have made a backup drive image of my wifeís PC (Windows 7 Home ) with the AOMEI Backupper. .
    I transferred this Drive Image to a USB external drive of my PC ( Windows 10 Pro build 10240.
    I want to restore this Drive Image on my VBox I just created , in case my wifeís PC fails.
    a. I suppose my VBOX must be able to connect to the USB drive, but it doesnít see it How?
    b. .Once it is detected, how do I restore this Drive Image for viewing it on my VBox? .
    .
    I suppose there must be a partition created in my VBOX containing the recovered Drive Image. How?

    Thanks for your help

    Ittiandro
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7,391
    windows 10
       #2

    Normally its in setting to allow usb from host VirtualBox USB passthrough guide | Connect USB to VirtualBox
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 27,066
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    ittiandro said:
    b. .Once it is detected, how do I restore this Drive Image for viewing it on my VBox? .
    You need to make a bootable ISO of your Aomei Backupper.

    Making Bootable ISO File
    If you do not have CD or USB disk, or if there is a problem when making the bootable CD, you could create a bootable ISO file...
    Create Bootable Disc Based on Windows PE or Linux

    Then you need to set up your VirtualBox VM to boot from the ISO in order to restore the image to the VM's drive. I wrote a tutorial on how to do this using Macrium Reflect, it will show you how to boot VirtualBox from your ISO.

    Testing Macrium Reflect restore using VirtualBox virtual machine Tutorial | Windows 11 Forum

    I suppose my VBOX must be able to connect to the USB drive, but it doesnít see it How?
    In my tutorial I show how to do that by sharing the drive from your Host machine so that the VM can see it. Reflect can restore from a network drive, so can Aomei.

    Restore Windows System Image Backup over Network via AOMEI Backupper
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 14,435
    Windows10
       #4

    You do realise that you need a new Windows 7 licence to activate it?

    If you have a retail licence, you can use that in vm provided not in use on old pc anymore.

    If you try and run windows 7 unactivated, eventually it will go into reduced function mode and a lot of things will not work.

    A better and more secure option os to upgrade wife's pc to Windows 10 and then transfer to vm. Windows 10 will run indefinitely unactivated with only restriction ability to personalise some features e.g. desktop background.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 27,066
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    cereberus said:
    You do realise that you need a new Windows 7 licence to activate it?
    You may be able to activate it with the key from the CoA sticker on the wife's Windows 7 PC.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 14,435
    Windows10
       #6

    Bree said:
    You may be able to activate it with the key from the CoA sticker on the wife's Windows 7 PC.
    Yes but OP wants to use this as a backup. Licencing was stricter on W7 so if OP activates on vm, it may be necessary to deactivate on wife's pc.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 102
    Windows 7and Windows 10 on 2 part.
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Samuria said:
    Normally its in setting to allow usb from host VirtualBox USB passthrough guide | Connect USB to VirtualBox
    The extension pack had already been installed before
    The USB setting shows the Seagate Flash drive but all the enable controls are greyed out.

    Tks

    Ittiandro
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 27,066
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    cereberus said:
    Yes but OP wants to use this as a backup. Licencing was stricter on W7 so if OP activates on vm, it may be necessary to deactivate on wife's pc.
    For a PC supplied with an OEM install of Windows 7 the installed key is actually an OEM-specific generic key, which self-activates in conjunction with an OEM SLP marker in the bios. The same generic key is used in any OEM-supplied recovery media.

    The CoA key is there as a 'spare' should you ever need to clean install with standard Microsoft install media. If that has not happened then the CoA key will never have been used. Activating using a CoA key will probably require automatic phone activation, it did last time I activated a Win7 VM.

    Activate Windows 7 by Phone | Tutorials
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 14,435
    Windows10
       #9

    Bree said:
    For a PC supplied with an OEM install of Windows 7 the installed key is actually an OEM-specific generic key, which self-activates in conjunction with an OEM SLP marker in the bios. The same generic key is used in any OEM-supplied recovery media.

    The CoA key is there as a 'spare' should you ever need to clean install with standard Microsoft install media. If that has not happened then the CoA key will never have been used. Activating using a CoA key will probably require automatic phone activation, it did last time I activated a Win7 VM.

    Activate Windows 7 by Phone | Tutorials
    True unless OP has used COA key.
    Of course, it does contravene EULA to do this. In the end 1 PC, one licence.

    The COA is an override mechanism not a spare licence.

    So it may work of course, but OPs original pc could get deactivated if COA key has been used before e.g. doing a clean install.

    Of course, us even discussing is borderline against forum rules.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 102
    Windows 7and Windows 10 on 2 part.
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Bree said:
    You need to make a bootable ISO of your Aomei Backupper.

    Create Bootable Disc Based on Windows PE or Linux

    Then you need to set up your VirtualBox VM to boot from the ISO in order to restore the image to the VM's drive. I wrote a tutorial on how to do this using Macrium Reflect, it will show you how to boot VirtualBox from your ISO.

    Testing Macrium Reflect restore using VirtualBox virtual machine Tutorial | Windows 11 Forum



    In my tutorial I show how to do that by sharing the drive from your Host machine so that the VM can see it. Reflect can restore from a network drive, so can Aomei.

    Restore Windows System Image Backup over Network via AOMEI Backupper

    Thanks for your tutorial., Bree. I had already done bootable ISO CDís for Windows 10 (with the IMG Burn app) as well as boot discs for Macrium and the Aomei Backupper.
    The only question I have is : am I to do the same with the Windows 7 Drive Img now? . In other words should I put the Drive Image file through with ImgBurn and create a bootable ISO image?
    Then, once I have the Aomei Drive Image ISO CD, Iíll then run it through the Vbox from the CD/Rom drive.
    I guess I could also keep the Windows 10 VBox I just created today ( it may come in handy later) and create a 2nd VBOX for the restored Windows 7 image.

    Anyway, before I go on with it I have to solve the 1st issue: the VBox doesn't detect the USB drive because the controls are all greyed out. and I cannot activate the 3.0 control .
    cannot do anything before I sort this out because the Drive Image file is on that USB drive.I
    Ittiandro
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums