Enabling Virtualization on AMD causes DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. gil
    Posts : 182
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
       #1

    Enabling Virtualization on AMD causes DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION


    I have this HP laptop and I did a BIOS update using HP BIOS update utility.
    After the update, the laptop didn't boot. it got stuck on the spinning wheel.

    It seems that if I disable virtualization in BIOS then it boots properly. Virtualization was enabled and prior to BIOS update it booted properly as well.

    This laptop is using AMD 2500U CPU.

    Any ideas what to do?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 949
    win10 home
       #2

    If you are able to,in the search box type in---dxdiag---enter.
    In the Display page,note the version details of the driver.Go to the maker's site only and download that version,or later if available and then uninstall and install the new driver.
    Also check through Reliability History to see if there are any reports covering the problem.If so,lines 1 & 2 in ---view tech details---should give usable information.
    It would be worthwhile contacting HP to find out the recommended method of resetting a corrupted bios.
    Updating a bios is best done,if at all,with an escape plan in place.
      My Computer


  3. gil
    Posts : 182
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #3

    joeandmarg0 said:
    If you are able to,in the search box type in---dxdiag---enter.
    In the Display page,note the version details of the driver.Go to the maker's site only and download that version,or later if available and then uninstall and install the new driver.
    Also check through Reliability History to see if there are any reports covering the problem.If so,lines 1 & 2 in ---view tech details---should give usable information.
    It would be worthwhile contacting HP to find out the recommended method of resetting a corrupted bios.
    Updating a bios is best done,if at all,with an escape plan in place.
    what does virtualization has to do with dxdiag and the display page? it's not VR it's CPU virtualization for VM like Ubuntu WSL
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 949
    win10 home
       #4

    The graphics driver has a lot to do with the monitor display.It is simple and quick to exclude as a cause.
    It is your prerogative to start somewhere else.
    You posed the question---Any ideas what to do?---I merely responded.
      My Computer


  5. gil
    Posts : 182
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #5

    joeandmarg0 said:
    The graphics driver has a lot to do with the monitor display.It is simple and quick to exclude as a cause.
    It is your prerogative to start somewhere else.
    You posed the question---Any ideas what to do?---I merely responded.
    I appreciate your help. My questioning is due to my misunderstanding of what CPU virtualization has to do with the GPU, since I thought you confused virtualization with VR headset, where GPU can indeed be a cause.
      My Computer

  6. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 11,007
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #6

    @gil

    Two questions here before one can make proper sense of the question or attempt to answer it.

    1) GUEST (the VM) machine - what OS and whether it's a 32 or 64 bit OS.

    2) The HOST virtualisation program - would normally be VMWare workstation / player, Virtual Box, HYPER-V or if on a Linux HOST instead of HYPER-V KVM/QEMU would be the standard. VMware and VBOX run on both Windows and Linux HOST OS'es.

    32 Bit GUESTS can run without Virtualisation being enabled in BIOS but you cant boot from a "Virtual GPT" disk or use UEFI.

    64 Bit guests need VT enabled (you can turn IOMMAX off if that appears as an another parameter in an AMD BIOS as that can cause boot problems) . You can then use a GPT"Virtual Disk" and UEFI for the VM although its not mandatory. If using a standard MBR boot for the Virtual machine it can't be on a GPT disk.

    On a GPT disk you need the VM's boot partition to be an EFI partition formatted in FAT32.

    You CAN run UEFI / GPT Virtual disks for your GUEST even on an older MBR BIOS Host machine.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer



  7. gil
    Posts : 182
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #7

    jimbo45 said:
    @gil

    Two questions here before one can make proper sense of the question or attempt to answer it.

    1) GUEST (the VM) machine - what OS and whether it's a 32 or 64 bit OS.

    2) The HOST virtualisation program - would normally be VMWare workstation / player, Virtual Box, HYPER-V or if on a Linux HOST instead of HYPER-V KVM/QEMU would be the standard. VMware and VBOX run on both Windows and Linux HOST OS'es.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    The host is Win11, just upgraded thinking it would solve the issue.
    Im using WSL, to run Ubuntu on Windows. That's all. No other VMs.
      My Computer

  8. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 11,007
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #8

    gil said:
    The host is Win11, just upgraded thinking it would solve the issue.
    Im using WSL, to run Ubuntu on Windows. That's all. No other VMs.
    Hi there
    @gil

    WSL is another thing altogether -- If you want to run this on W11 then you will certainly need the latest WSL updates for W11 -- but W11 is so new that there probably will still be loads of bugs with using the Ms version of UBUNTU.

    What I'd do is to run TWO OS'es from physical "VHDX" drives -- one a W10 system and the other a W11 system. These are physical (not virtual) machines that can run on the same HDD or even from external media. I find using this is a great way to test different versions of Windows on a physical machine without hosing up your main OS and it obviates the need for endless amounts of backups and restores.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...d--native-boot
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-the-boot-menu

    Have fun

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  9. gil
    Posts : 182
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #9

    regardless of WSL, I find it odd the virtualization enabled is messing up the boot
      My Computer

  10. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 11,007
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #10

    gil said:
    regardless of WSL, I find it odd the virtualization enabled is messing up the boot
    Hi there
    I gave up with AMD stuff a while ago -- OK others have found AMD cheaper and better value for money but I've always found INTEL "Just keeps on trucki'n"

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums