Windows XP x64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
       #1

    Windows XP x64


    I'm planning to download Windows XP x64 bit to play some older games on virtual machine
    Windows XP Professional 64 Bit ISO Free Download [SP3] - Softlay
    Is it safe to download the .iso file from this site?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 11,357
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #2

    If they say it will run without your having bought an XP licence then the answer is, "No".

    If they have altered the ISO to make it run without proper activation then they could have done anything else to it at the same time.

    Denis
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,244
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2 (Build: 19044.1415)
       #3

    ashramnavivi said:
    to play some older games
    Why don't these games work on Windows 10?

    Did you install older DirectX and VC++ required by those games?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,642
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #4

    ashramnavivi said:
    I'm planning to download Windows XP x64 bit to play some older games on virtual machine
    Windows XP Professional 64 Bit ISO Free Download [SP3] - Softlay
    Is it safe to download the .iso file from this site?



    The main reason Windows XP x64 didn't make it the first time, was that no one wrote drivers for it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ghot said:
    The main reason Windows XP x64 didn't make it the first time, was that no one wrote drivers for it.
    It's not about the drivers, it's about because I want to experiment on it and play some really old games and other stuff, but I'm not sure if it's safe to download from that site and that's all I want to know, another thing why I want to use it is because it's not resource hog like a Windows 10, and I can run it in background
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 11,357
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #6

    ashramnavivi said:
    ... I'm not sure if it's safe to download from that site and that's all I want to know ...
    Answered in the very first reply.
    Try3 said:
    If they say it will run without your having bought an XP licence then the answer is, "No".
    Denis
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,642
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #7

    ashramnavivi said:
    It's not about the drivers, it's about because I want to experiment on it and play some really old games and other stuff, but I'm not sure if it's safe to download from that site and that's all I want to know, another thing why I want to use it is because it's not resource hog like a Windows 10, and I can run it in background


    If there are no Windows XP 64 bit drivers for w/e hardware you have... it won't run on your hardware.





    /edit

    For my computer, built in May 2020, by me... here are the available drivers for my motherboard and video card.



    Windows XP x64-image1.png

    Windows XP x64-image2.png




    My motherboard, has no drivers for anything except Windows 10 64 bit.
    And you can see that even my video card couldn't run Windows XP 64 bit.



    I just downloaded that Windows XP 64 bit and scanned it with Bitdefender Internet Security 2020.
    It comes up clean... BUT, that's just the ISO image.
    There's no way of knowing if it stays clean during/after install.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,244
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2 (Build: 19044.1415)
       #8

    If you plan to run it *only* in virtual machine and *only* to play games and nothing else, what could go wrong right?

    Surely there exist various attack vectors to compromise host OS (Your main Windows), because if host OS can compromise guest OS (virtual XP) then the opposite is likely as well.

    For the second scenario there is a known defense:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...-v/ba-p/372179

    For the first scenario you also need some kind of defense, because that Windows XP you want to download is 100% not trusted.

    Your issue is not whether guest OS (Windows XP) could do that because that's obvious, instead your issue is whether you can play games without degrading security?
    And whether you need internet connection in virtual XP?

    Good luck, I'm not educated to answer you these questions, but one is for sure, that XP is not trusted and nobody can grant you otherwise. (maybe XP is clean is not acceptable, it's either clean or it's not trusted)
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro 2004
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Ghot said:
    If there are no Windows XP 64 bit drivers for w/e hardware you have... it won't run on your hardware.
    You're right, but I'm not planning to run it on my hardware, I'm planning to run it on virtual machine which will work for sure

    - - - Updated - - -

    zebal said:
    If you plan to run it *only* in virtual machine and *only* to play games and nothing else, what could go wrong right?
    That's right
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,249
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    For compatibility with old games 32 bit XP is almost certainly better than x64. Unless for some reason you actually need x64. x64 will not run 16 bit software at all. Be aware that some 32 bit software actually used a 16 bit installer and thus will not run.

    I find it odd that the website says that that the download has SP3. XP x64 never had SP3, SP2 being the latest. Service packs for 32 and 64 bit XP are entirely different.
      My Computer


 

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums