Windows Hello PIN preventing use of Hyper-VM VM in enhanced mode

  1. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,624
    Windows10
       #1

    Windows Hello PIN preventing use of Hyper-VM VM in enhanced mode


    I have come across a strange bug with Hyper-V (will report to MS).

    I created a Windows Pro VM set up with my MS account.

    I was then unable to access the VM in enhanced mode using the normal vmconnect screens in Hyper-V. I just get dumped to the lockscreen and no keys respond.

    So I went to basic mode, used gpedit.msc to bypass the lock screen. It made no difference.

    I changed account to a local account and enhanced mode worked.

    I changed back to MS account, and enhanced mode failed.

    I then had one of those "light bulb" thoughts.

    I had set a PIN (bloody installer gives no option to bypass this) when installing Windows 10 in a VM.
    I turned off Windows Hello and then enhanced mode worked.

    I reenabled Windows Hello (that was a pain), and then enhanced mode failed.

    This is all repeatable

    Windows Hello on - enhanced mode fails

    Windows Hello off - enhanced mode fails


    This is a bit annoying, as you cannot simply use netplwiz in Hyper-V so you can bypass entering password.

    So I have to enter full password, or use local account. Using PIN was simply easier.


    I have seen others on web complain enhanced mode was no longer working, so this is not just me, but I have no idea if all users are affected.

      My Computer

  2. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 11,010
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #2

    cereberus said:
    I have come across a strange bug with Hyper-V (will report to MS).

    I created a Windows Pro VM set up with my MS account.

    I was then unable to access the VM in enhanced mode using the normal vmconnect screens in Hyper-V. I just get dumped to the lockscreen and no keys respond.

    So I went to basic mode, used gpedit.msc to bypass the lock screen. It made no difference.

    I changed account to a local account and enhanced mode worked.

    I changed back to MS account, and enhanced mode failed.

    I then had one of those "light bulb" thoughts.

    I had set a PIN (bloody installer gives no option to bypass this) when installing Windows 10 in a VM.
    I turned off Windows Hello and then enhanced mode worked.

    I reenabled Windows Hello (that was a pain), and then enhanced mode failed.

    This is all repeatable

    Windows Hello on - enhanced mode fails

    Windows Hello off - enhanced mode fails


    This is a bit annoying, as you cannot simply use netplwiz in Hyper-V so you can bypass entering password.

    So I have to enter full password, or use local account. Using PIN was simply easier.


    I have seen others on web complain enhanced mode was no longer working, so this is not just me, but I have no idea if all users are affected.

    Hi there
    I think if you "Disconnect" from the Internet while installing the VM -- install is then done via a local account - you can then set "Login options".

    Then you can switch to an Ms account after connecting again to the net. Then try changing to Use PIN and see what happens.

    I haven't tested this in HYPER-V but I don't think the Logon method should change just because you are on a VM.

    If Wrong just ignore -- I usually always try everything in "Local account mode" first before attempting signing in with Ms account and other "non standard" options. Might also depend on the Windows build you are using for the VM (not the HOST). I've found build 331 seems the one with the least problems -- 330 forget it !!! 329 --Haven't tried.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,624
    Windows10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    I think if you "Disconnect" from the Internet while installing the VM -- install is then done via a local account - you can then set "Login options".

    Then you can switch to an Ms account after connecting again to the net. Then try changing to Use PIN and see what happens.

    I haven't tested this in HYPER-V but I don't think the Logon method should change just because you are on a VM.

    If Wrong just ignore -- I usually always try everything in "Local account mode" first before attempting signing in with Ms account and other "non standard" options. Might also depend on the Windows build you are using for the VM (not the HOST). I've found build 331 seems the one with the least problems -- 330 forget it !!! 329 --Haven't tried.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    This is not what I am talking about.

    My issue is that HyperV enhanced mode does not work if I have vm set to use Windows Hello. It works fine otherwise.

    I want to use MS account but using a PIN is easier that a strong password.
      My Computer

  4. Silky's Avatar
    Posts : 105
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    cereberus said:
    I have come across a strange bug with Hyper-V (will report to MS).

    I created a Windows Pro VM set up with my MS account.

    I was then unable to access the VM in enhanced mode using the normal vmconnect screens in Hyper-V. I just get dumped to the lockscreen and no keys respond.

    So I went to basic mode, used gpedit.msc to bypass the lock screen. It made no difference.

    I changed account to a local account and enhanced mode worked.

    I changed back to MS account, and enhanced mode failed.

    I then had one of those "light bulb" thoughts.

    I had set a PIN (bloody installer gives no option to bypass this) when installing Windows 10 in a VM.
    I turned off Windows Hello and then enhanced mode worked.

    I reenabled Windows Hello (that was a pain), and then enhanced mode failed.

    This is all repeatable

    Windows Hello on - enhanced mode fails

    Windows Hello off - enhanced mode fails


    This is a bit annoying, as you cannot simply use netplwiz in Hyper-V so you can bypass entering password.

    So I have to enter full password, or use local account. Using PIN was simply easier.


    I have seen others on web complain enhanced mode was no longer working, so this is not just me, but I have no idea if all users are affected.

    I've been pulling my hair out trying to launch EM and this post worked like a charm.

    In case anyone cares... I did a Macrium Backup of my system, then a clean install of windows. Used viBoot to launch that last backup as a VM, I couldn't get into EM - only Basic Mode. Once I changed the VM to a local account, voila! Now I'm cookin' with gas...

    Thank you!
      My Computer

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,607
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    Enhanced session does not like Windows Hello (PIN). See this post on our sister site Eleven Forum: Windows 11 and Hyper V enhanced session. | Page 2 | Windows 11 Forum

    Kari
      My Computer

  6. Silky's Avatar
    Posts : 105
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    Kari said:
    Enhanced session does not like Windows Hello (PIN). See this post on our sister site Eleven Forum: Windows 11 and Hyper V enhanced session. | Page 2 | Windows 11 Forum

    Kari
    I'm not sure if this should be posted to the Eleven Forum, but... I just want to be clear - are you basically saying that there's no need to switch the VM to a local account to get EM? That one could instead, load the VM in basic mode, then add "yourself on VM to Remote Desktop Users group" and the next launch of the VM will be Enhanced Mode capable?

    If I've lost the plot I apologize...
      My Computer


  7. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,607
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Silky said:
    I just want to be clear - are you basically saying that there's no need to switch the VM to a local account to get EM? That one could instead, load the VM in basic mode, then add "yourself on VM to Remote Desktop Users group" and the next launch of the VM will be Enhanced Mode capable?
    Yes, that's what I am saying.

    Kari
      My Computer

  8. Silky's Avatar
    Posts : 105
    Windows 10 Pro
       #8

    Kari said:
    Yes, that's what I am saying.

    Kari
    This is great news. Now I'll create a checkpoint, add myself to the RD users group, change back to a MS account and reboot it.

    Love the information I get here... thanks.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums