VM via QEMU -- Photoshop and Multi Media devices acessible latest W10


  1. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1

    VM via QEMU -- Photoshop and Multi Media devices acessible latest W10


    Hi folks

    All my Multi media devices readily accessible and Photoshop working with great performance (OK it's not the latest Photoshop -- I don't go for the "Monthly stuff" ) but this was the latest non subscription version = perfectly good enough for what I do.

    I'm running latest fast ring build W10 Pro workstations edition as the VM.

    I suggest have a go with QEMU / KVM --It's absolutely very useable for desktop VM's these days - and being also supported by RED HAT can't be bad either. (Note it's Free and OPEN source so RED HAT isn't a corporate evil monster)

    My HOST is LINUX Arch -- nothing to do with RED HAT --unlike UBUNTU / Canonical Links.

    !!! RED HAT make the win-virtio drivers freely available for use on any Linux platform running Windows VM's for superior performance-- download from FEDORA site.

    VM via  QEMU -- Photoshop and Multi Media devices acessible latest W10-screenshot_20200105_191143.png


    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,068
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    The monthly Adobe is pretty cheap here in the US. My son has a photoshop and lightroom creative cloud account for $9.99 a month.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #3

    pparks1 said:
    The monthly Adobe is pretty cheap here in the US. My son has a photoshop and lightroom creative cloud account for $9.99 a month.
    Hi there
    BUT if you add all these things up -- Office, Netflix, Amazon Prime and goodness knows what else --this can easily cost a LOT of money every month --- I now for example only use a pay as you go SIM on a phone and that's really cheap compared with almost any "plan2" out there - especially if you use Internet over public Wifi etc.

    Also there's not much in latest versions of Photoshop that I can't do with the version I've got -- the Camera software can convert latest versions of RAW pics to PSD or whatever so it's fine.

    BTW QEMU / KVM VM's can boot from within the VM via its boot menu physical USB devices (assuming they are bootable) without having to do anything extra --quite a useful feature.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,068
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    BUT if you add all these things up -- Office, Netflix, Amazon Prime and goodness knows what else --this can easily cost a LOT of money every month
    Oh yes, absolutely agree. (I have Office365($99/yr), Abobe ($10/mo), Netflix ($16/mo), Hulu (5.99/mo), HBO ($15/mo), Amazon Prime ($119/yr), XboxLiveGold ($60/yr), XboxGamePass($10/mo) and Origin Access ($30/yr)) And if you have a previous version of the software that you already paid for and it still meets your needs, by all means use it.

    My son wanted Adobe Photoshop, but we didn't already have it. At $10 a month, he has been learning a valuable skill that could potentially benefit his future. He's interested in graphic design and seems to be pretty good at it, so I don't mind this cost. It's 1 lunch a week at work that I don't eat out.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #5

    pparks1 said:
    Oh yes, absolutely agree. (I have Office365($99/yr), Abobe ($10/mo), Netflix ($16/mo), Hulu (5.99/mo), HBO ($15/mo), Amazon Prime ($119/yr), XboxLiveGold ($60/yr), XboxGamePass($10/mo) and Origin Access ($30/yr)) And if you have a previous version of the software that you already paid for and it still meets your needs, by all means use it.

    My son wanted Adobe Photoshop, but we didn't already have it. At $10 a month, he has been learning a valuable skill that could potentially benefit his future. He's interested in graphic design and seems to be pretty good at it, so I don't mind this cost. It's 1 lunch a week at work that I don't eat out.
    Hi for learning etc that's great --think of it as Investment for future earning -- skills are going to be increasingly important in future as more AI and Robots automate a lot of current jobs.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums