VirtualBox is saying that VT-x is not available, but it is?


  1. Posts : 7
    Windows, Linux, and Everything Else Under The Sun OS
       #1

    VirtualBox is saying that VT-x is not available, but it is?


    So this is my first thread on this site! :3 Nice to meet you all. :) I'm a Linux user who's started to come back to Windows to learn more about it (I need to, if I truly call myself a Geek). So, a bit of context. VirtualBox works just fine under Linux (Ubuntu), with VT-x, Nested Paging and everything working just fine. :) But under Windows, despite having VT-x enabled in the UEFI, I still can't seem to get my VMs up and running. :\ VirtualBox complains about VT-x not being available, thought it's enabled in the UEFI on this HP EliteBook 8470p... I checked Hyper-V in the features and settings Program (I'm using Windows 10 Pro with a Windows 7 Pro License linked to my Microsoft Account, which surprisingly worked). But alas, to no avail. :\ What am I missing here? Is it something deep in the Windows Registry, or is it some more general setting? Before I enabled Hyper-V, it didn't work either. Currently, I'm under Ubuntu (yes, I like Ubuntu despite all the other Distros I've used. ) VirtualBox is also the latest stable version, version 6... I also like Windows 10 and WSL with Debian, so I can Compile Programs without having to octa-boot between Operating Systems. :) Well, this is my first post. It's very nice to meet you all. I'll reboot into Windows 10 now, so I can further provide any info. Thanks for any suggestions and help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 2,303
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1903
       #2

    Welcome,
    Sounds like you may have a conflict, you could disabling hyper V and rebooting to see
    if that has an effect.
    Till the Gurus chime in you might want to browse the great tutorial section we have here

    click on the link below which what I came up with a quick search

    https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.p...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    Older versions of virtualbox cannot coexist with the Hyper-V hypervisor running. VB6 is supposed to be able to coexist but it is flakey i.e. works for some (does not work for me).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 7
    Windows, Linux, and Everything Else Under The Sun OS
    Thread Starter
       #4

    thomaseg1 said: View Post
    Welcome,
    Sounds like you may have a conflict, you could disabling hyper V and rebooting to see
    if that has an effect.
    Till the Gurus chime in you might want to browse the great tutorial section we have here

    click on the link below which what I came up with a quick search

    https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.p...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0
    Hey there. :) Yeah, it sounds like it might be something with HyperV after all. :\ I'll do as you suggested. :) I will report back! :3

    - - - Updated - - -

    cereberus said: View Post
    Older versions of virtualbox cannot coexist with the Hyper-V hypervisor running. VB6 is supposed to be able to coexist but it is flakey i.e. works for some (does not work for me).
    Hmm... Should I look into VMWare? :) Well, I'll reboot into Windows and see about this issue. As I said above, I will report back. :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    blackneos940 said: View Post
    Hey there. :) Yeah, it sounds like it might be something with HyperV after all. :\ I'll do as you suggested. :) I will report back! :3

    - - - Updated - - -



    Hmm... Should I look into VMWare? :) Well, I'll reboot into Windows and see about this issue. As I said above, I will report back. :)
    Vmware cannot coexist either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 7
    Windows, Linux, and Everything Else Under The Sun OS
    Thread Starter
       #6

    cereberus said: View Post
    Vmware cannot coexist either.
    Ah, I see. :\ Well, I tried un-checking Hyper-V, but now it's complaining about a missing Assembly Reference. C#-related...? :\
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,662
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #7

    Hi there

    @blackneos940

    I'm running W10 (19H2) quite successfully on an Intel Laptop using HOST CENTOS and VMWare workstation.

    No problems whatsoever. I'm posting this from a W10 VM running on the Linux Host.

    In VMWare also you can set the virtualisation within the VM as well -- it's greyed out here as you can't change for a running VM.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapshot1.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	240045

    Setting those in a VM you can "nest" VM's so you can run HYPER-V on a VM itself even if the VM is running on VMware or other VM software. Don't expect stellar performance from a 2 level VM and if you decide to try running from KVM / XEN ( Linux Hypervisors) add the libvirt-io libraries to (significantly) improve the I/O on the guests.

    I'd always run VMWare in preference to Virtual box -- seems to give less problems -- you can use the free VMWARE player product .

    There was a problem a little while ago with VM on some older W10 releases of 19H1 but all has been fixed for quite a while now.

    I can't give any recent info about running W10 guests on a Windows Host as I invariably use Linux as a Host -- however in the past I've run W7, and XP VM's on a Windows host without any problems. I did have a problem running a W10 guest on W10 host but fixed as below :

    I suspect in your Windows config you've still got some settings that have sandbox / Hyper-V enabled -- I found that once you've enabled these --disabling again still causes problems running VMWare guests -- I'm not a Windows Guru so I just restored a windows image to before I did any mucking about with HYPER-V or the sandbox and it all worked again.

    For what I use Windows for I find running it as a guest on a Linux host does me just fine these days --it's very rare now that I ever need to boot into a Native Windows machine. VM software is so much better now - there's absolutely no problems running things like photoshop on a VM - I'm not a gamer so I don't need extreme video / GPU performance - for multi-media I just stream from a Linux NAS to fire TV sticks / remote TV's etc using KODI which suits me perfectly.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 7
    Windows, Linux, and Everything Else Under The Sun OS
    Thread Starter
       #8

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    @blackneos940

    I'm running W10 (19H2) quite successfully on an Intel Laptop using HOST CENTOS and VMWare workstation.

    No problems whatsoever. I'm posting this from a W10 VM running on the Linux Host.

    In VMWare also you can set the virtualisation within the VM as well -- it's greyed out here as you can't change for a running VM.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapshot1.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	240045

    Setting those in a VM you can "nest" VM's so you can run HYPER-V on a VM itself even if the VM is running on VMware or other VM software. Don't expect stellar performance from a 2 level VM and if you decide to try running from KVM / XEN ( Linux Hypervisors) add the libvirt-io libraries to (significantly) improve the I/O on the guests.

    I'd always run VMWare in preference to Virtual box -- seems to give less problems -- you can use the free VMWARE player product .

    There was a problem a little while ago with VM on some older W10 releases of 19H1 but all has been fixed for quite a while now.

    I can't give any recent info about running W10 guests on a Windows Host as I invariably use Linux as a Host -- however in the past I've run W7, and XP VM's on a Windows host without any problems. I did have a problem running a W10 guest on W10 host but fixed as below :

    I suspect in your Windows config you've still got some settings that have sandbox / Hyper-V enabled -- I found that once you've enabled these --disabling again still causes problems running VMWare guests -- I'm not a Windows Guru so I just restored a windows image to before I did any mucking about with HYPER-V or the sandbox and it all worked again.

    For what I use Windows for I find running it as a guest on a Linux host does me just fine these days --it's very rare now that I ever need to boot into a Native Windows machine. VM software is so much better now - there's absolutely no problems running things like photoshop on a VM - I'm not a gamer so I don't need extreme video / GPU performance - for multi-media I just stream from a Linux NAS to fire TV sticks / remote TV's etc using KODI which suits me perfectly.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Well thank you for that insight! :) Yeah, I use Windows 10 and Linux here too, but I also prefer Windows 10 on actual Hardware in addition to Linux, because of things like Visual Studio and gaming (and I don't have any extra License Keys). :) I'll look into VMWare Player, to rule out anything. Thanks for your help, and cheers to you too! :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Vmware or virtualbox? in Virtualization
I have tested out vmware workstation and virtualbox and can't decide which is best, can you help me?
Solved W10 0n VirtualBox? in Virtualization
I have been reading so much about W10 in various places ever since the 29th June roll-out and I'm still waiting for the notification to go ahead and get it. I have read articles from so many people about how many problem there are with it for them...
VirtualBox in Virtualization
I've been trying to install Andyroid but the install of virtual box always fails and removes itself with no message saying why. I have search and it seems some have git it to install without any fuss so there's little help for me on the internet. ...
VirtualBox 5.0.0 is out in Virtualization
Just noticed that there's a new version of VirtualBox out, version 5.0.0. One thing that I'm hoping it will do is emulate detachable USB drives... this is mentioned (although I'm not sure I've got it working properly - I'm hoping to convince...
Solved Virtualbox 4.3.22 is out in Virtualization
Users of Oracle Virtualbox who haven't already spotted it may like to know that version 4.3.22 is out. It now includes Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit) in the list of Operating Systems and I believe it's had some other fixes to help with running...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28.
Find Us