VMWare Workstation Player new release 15.0.3 avaiable Solved

  1. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 41,668
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #1

    VMWare Workstation Player new release 15.0.3 avaiable


    New VMWare Workstation Player 15.0.3

    free

    Release notes: VMware Workstation 15.0.3 Player Release Notes


    Important Fixes


    • VMware Workstation Player contains elevation of privilege vulnerabilities:
      • Workstation Player does not handle paths appropriately. This may allow the path to the VMX executable, on a Windows host, to be hijacked by a non-administrator leading to elevation of privilege. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5511 to this issue. See VMSA-2019-0002 for further information.
      • COM classes are not handled appropriately. This may allow hijacking of COM classes used by the VMX process, on a Windows host, leading to elevation of privilege. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5512 to this issue. See VMSA-2019-0002 for further information.

    • Updated OpenSSL library version to 1.0.2q.
    • Updated libxml2 library version to 2.9.9.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,295
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #2

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    New VMWare Workstation Player 15.0.3

    free

    Release notes: VMware Workstation 15.0.3 Player Release Notes


    Important Fixes


    • VMware Workstation Player contains elevation of privilege vulnerabilities:
      • Workstation Player does not handle paths appropriately. This may allow the path to the VMX executable, on a Windows host, to be hijacked by a non-administrator leading to elevation of privilege. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5511 to this issue. See VMSA-2019-0002 for further information.
      • COM classes are not handled appropriately. This may allow hijacking of COM classes used by the VMX process, on a Windows host, leading to elevation of privilege. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5512 to this issue. See VMSA-2019-0002 for further information.

    • Updated OpenSSL library version to 1.0.2q.
    • Updated libxml2 library version to 2.9.9.
    Hi there

    Thanks just updated WKS .

    Workstation also updated -- running W10 X-64 current build and the fast ring builds on Centos Host No probs !!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapshot2.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	227774

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 41,668
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
    Thread Starter
       #3
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,295
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #4

    Hi there @f14tomcat
    Update today fixes problems with W10 19H1 running as a HOST

    Just installing and testing bow

    will post the result

    If I'm optimistic it should work on 20H1 too --but I can't expect too much at once !!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there @f14tomcat
    Update today fixes problems with W10 19H1 running as a HOST

    Just installing and testing bow

    will post the result

    If I'm optimistic it should work on 20H1 too --but I can't expect too much at once !!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I'll try it on my Skippy too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,295
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #6

    Hi there

    @CountMike

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snapshot41.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	233778

    Installing now

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #7

    I just installed it as an update, once started it also updated tools for Linux. Only Puppy is actually installed and it works fine. Connecting USB doesn't throw errors even if connected to guest. Looks like it's working now.
    I'll try Mint next.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,295
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #8

    CountMike said: View Post
    I just installed it as an update, once started it also updated tools for Linux. Only Puppy is actually installed and it works fine. Connecting USB doesn't throw errors even if connected to guest. Looks like it's working now.
    I'll try Mint next.
    Hi there
    Centos working fine as is Windows 20H1 as guest on 19H1 --on Windows Guests you have to update VMWare tools but you get a prompt so no probs --Linux Hosts update automatically.

    Now will try 20H1 as Host

    Great this is working as I had troubles with HYPER-V with a Generation 2 Linux VM - after a freeze the VM lost the boot ability ---- Generation 1 VM's were OK though even if I did a test and just powered off whole computer from he mains without orderly an shutdown.

    If you've got external peripherals and want sound and decent video IMO VMWare is still better than HYPER-V (and it also runs on Windows HOME - although I'm using Windows Pro) and of course Linux Hosts.


    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 7,295
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       #9

    Hi there
    Glad it's all working -- amazing that a big piece of software used by zillions didn't work for so long !!! I was on the point of giving up on VMWare -- I never got on with Oracle's Virtual Box though -- I suppose it's your user peception too as well as the hidden stuff. HYPER-V --interesting to play with but not a long term solution for me.

    Anyway can give this stuff a rest for now !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there
    Glad it's all working -- amazing that a big piece of software used by zillions didn't work for so long !!! I was on the point of giving up on VMWare -- I never got on with Oracle's Virtual Box though -- I suppose it's your user peception too as well as the hidden stuff. HYPER-V --interesting to play with but not a long term solution for me.

    Anyway can give this stuff a rest for now !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Yes, glad it was fixed, not so much about it in Skippy as much as I was worried it wouldn't in next normal W10 build and that should come very soon. I've been using it for many years and I'm not very willing to switch to other ones and learn new tricks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi,I get a consistent BSOD during the installation of VMware Workstation Player. I can replicate it very easily. I have gotten 4 BSOD due to this (installation of VMware Workstation Player) while trying to debug/find the cause myself. Attached...
Hi, On VMware Workstation Player 12.5.2 (free for non-commercial usage), I am having issues in Windows XP virtual machines with the sound. The sound output by the VM sounds poor, extremely crackled and laggy. Not having this issue in Windows...
can i install any version ? can i install linux or windows 7 using vmware on windows 10 ? Thank you in advance
Solved VMware workstation 12 player in Virtualization
I have used Hyper V mainly, but have given the latest VMware a go. So far I'm liking it. Something it does that Hyper V didn't is allow me to connect USB device. I have not figured out the setting so I can see my host drives though. How do I enable...
Hi there Problem with installing VMWARE tools with Windows 10 x-64 using Windows host. Works fine on LINUX host !!!! (VMware workstation rel 10.0.3 build-1895310) Cheers jimbo
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:19.
Find Us