Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine


  1. Posts : 617
    windows 10 pro
       #1

    Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine


    I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell me about using the built in Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machines? My new machine supports Hyper-V. TIA.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 15,476
    Windows10
       #2

    phaedruspress said:
    I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell me about using the built in Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machines? My new machine supports Hyper-V. TIA.
    There are many excellent tutorials in tutorial section to use Hyper-V.

    IMO - Hyper-V is a better emulator when running Windows based vms (except Home) but is inferior when running Home or other OSs eg Linux as they can only be run in basic mode and you cannot get sound (it is possible to get sound with Home but needs additional software).

    Unfortunately, you cannot run both from same Windows session
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 617
    windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    cereberus said:
    There are many excellent tutorials in tutorial section to use Hyper-V.
    SNIP

    >There are many excellent tutorials in tutorial section

    Thanks! I have to remember to check there for stuff : )
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #4

    phaedruspress said:
    I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell me about using the built in Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machines? My new machine supports Hyper-V. TIA.
    It also depends on what you are planning to run in the VM, if you have to run a "full desktop" (i.e. ubuntu, windows 8/10 etc) vmware workstation player is simple and support desktop in full screen very well also overall virtual network capabilities are better in vmware.
    on the other hand if you need snapshots and you are running a command line server (like a linux server) hyper-v have snapshots support, thou would have to buy the full workstation to have snapshots in vmware.

    I would also add that hyper-v is possibly more "professional/enterprise" oriented and if you felt lost in vmware player you'll find quite a steeper learning curve in hyper-v, on the plus side of hyper-v I would add that updates will be automatically managed by windows which i find convenient.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 617
    windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    roy111 said:
    It also depends on what you are planning to run in the VM, if you have to run a "full desktop" (i.e. ubuntu, windows 8/10 etc) vmware workstation player is simple and support desktop in full screen very well also overall virtual network capabilities are better in vmware...I would also add that hyper-v is possibly more "professional/enterprise" oriented and if you felt lost in vmware player you'll find quite a steeper learning curve in hyper-v...
    SNIPS

    RATS. Win 10. I was going to try 1803.

    >if you felt lost in vmware player you'll find quite a steeper learning curve in hyper-v

    Double Rats : )
    Well, I think I'll give Hyper-V a shot anyway since I have never tried it and am curious about the experience. Thanks.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #6

    phaedruspress said:
    SNIPS

    Well, I think I'll give Hyper-V a shot anyway since I have never tried it and am curious about the experience. Thanks.
    It will be a good exercise
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 15,476
    Windows10
       #7

    roy111 said:
    It will be a good exercise
    And dead easy if you follow @Kari's tutorials - that is how I learnt!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums