A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    12 Jun 2018 #31

    I was finally able to get Enhanced mode to work in Win 10 Pro (haven't tried in Enterprise yet).
    A couple of changes from this guide:
    1. I've cloned this repo:
    GitHub - Microsoft/linux-vm-tools: Hyper-V Linux Guest VM Enhancements
    The install script doesn't need to be edited, all works as it is.
    2. I had to disable auto-login in Linux.

    The only non-working thing is lack of write permissions for shared folders. I can navigate there, but attempts to edit a file or even copy it within Windows folder fail. I can copy files from Windows folders to Ubuntu disk and work with them normally, but not in Windows folders.
    Have anyone figured out how to enable write permissions for Windows shares?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 Jun 2018 #32

    bsergeev said: View Post
    I was finally able to get Enhanced mode to work in Win 10 Pro (haven't tried in Enterprise yet).
    A couple of changes from this guide:
    1. I've cloned this repo:
    GitHub - Microsoft/linux-vm-tools: Hyper-V Linux Guest VM Enhancements
    The install script doesn't need to be edited, all works as it is.
    2. I had to disable auto-login in Linux.

    The only non-working thing is lack of write permissions for shared folders. I can navigate there, but attempts to edit a file or even copy it within Windows folder fail. I can copy files from Windows folders to Ubuntu disk and work with them normally, but not in Windows folders.
    Have anyone figured out how to enable write permissions for Windows shares?
    I wanted to register to thank you for this post. I had the exact same problem and the same solution. Without your follow up, I would have been very frustrated.

    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Jun 2018 #33

    bforster said: View Post
    I wanted to register to thank you for this post. I had the exact same problem and the same solution. Without your follow up, I would have been very frustrated.

    Thank you.
    I can write either way. This could because unrelatedly, the drives I used were network shares with permission set for everyone.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Jun 2018 #34

    Hi. Thank you. I ran this the first try and worked great. Now I have a 4k display. Awesome job!! Thanks again...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 18
    Windows 10, 64 bit
       04 Jul 2018 #35

    bsergeev said: View Post
    I was finally able to get Enhanced mode to work in Win 10 Pro (haven't tried in Enterprise yet).
    A couple of changes from this guide:
    1. I've cloned this repo:
    GitHub - Microsoft/linux-vm-tools: Hyper-V Linux Guest VM Enhancements
    The install script doesn't need to be edited, all works as it is.
    2. I had to disable auto-login in Linux.

    The only non-working thing is lack of write permissions for shared folders. I can navigate there, but attempts to edit a file or even copy it within Windows folder fail. I can copy files from Windows folders to Ubuntu disk and work with them normally, but not in Windows folders.
    Have anyone figured out how to enable write permissions for Windows shares?
    This should be put to the first page. It's the 'official' way to do this right now.

    Even the auto login part is true, I had it enabled and it just kept giving me "Xorg" login screen over and over again. It needs to be disabled.

    One addition, the MS provided instructions are also helpful here: https://github.com/Microsoft/linux-v...iki/Onboarding
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Jul 2018 #36

    Ciantic said: View Post
    This should be put to the first page. It's the 'official' way to do this right now.

    Even the auto login part is true, I had it enabled and it just kept giving me "Xorg" login screen over and over again. It needs to be disabled.

    One addition, the MS provided instructions are also helpful here: https://github.com/Microsoft/linux-v...iki/Onboarding
    Not sure what you mean. What is official way to do what?

    I note the MS method looks good - I am guessing the install.sh file has been updated since I wrote the guide, as it is sourced from a different place (mine was from original developer source which was for 16.04 and needed editing to run 18.04).

    I know no way to autologin in enhanced mode but the same applies to Windows vms anyway.
    Last edited by cereberus; 05 Jul 2018 at 03:52.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jul 2018 #37

    Ciantic said: View Post
    This should be put to the first page. It's the 'official' way to do this right now.

    Even the auto login part is true, I had it enabled and it just kept giving me "Xorg" login screen over and over again. It needs to be disabled.

    One addition, the MS provided instructions are also helpful here: https://github.com/Microsoft/linux-v...iki/Onboarding
    Well I tried the simplified script in link and it failed to work, complaining about xrdp not working which was same message I got with my commands before editing the install.sh. So I am not going to modify original post as I know that works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. GalaxyGe's Avatar
    Posts : 69
    Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
       05 Jul 2018 #38

    cereberus said: View Post
    Well I tried the simplified script in link and it failed to work, complaining about xrdp not working which was same message I got with my commands before editing the install.sh. So I am not going to modify original post as I know that works.
    Hi Cereberus, I didnít find the two lines you recommended to comment out, in those current versions of install.sh.
    I looked at both the developerís and the MS git?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    06 Jul 2018 #39

    GalaxyGe said: View Post
    Hi Cereberus, I didn’t find the two lines you recommended to comment out, in those current versions of install.sh.
    I looked at both the developer’s and the MS git?
    I have not checked MS install.sh. It is possible the developer version has also changed. I do not understand than why using MS version failed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 18
    Windows 10, 64 bit
       07 Jul 2018 #40

    I installed it to fresh Ubuntu 18.04, the MS script worked for me. Copy & paste etc started working.

    However the screen is not accelerated.

    E.g. opening the "Show applications" button (dotted icon at the bottom left) brings in the apps but it's really slugish. I think there isn't any GPU acceleration involved with this setup. In same MS repo they have stated they intend to add e.g. Ubuntu as a template for quick start, let's hope they do because setting everything up seems pain.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file ...
I have a fresh install of Windows 10 1709 Education N, and using the same image I made a Gen2 VM in Hyper-V. I thought something was off and then I noticed that enhanced mode wasn't on at all, and it is greyed out in the menu. It is enabled in...
How to Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
When I moved to WIndows 10 both Edge and IE works fine. But recently, Edge started to falling apart. It crashes with a message and the display is too short that I don't even have enough time reading it before Edge close itself. Since I still have IE...
Enhanced Session Mode in Virtualization
I have Windows 10 Build 10041 and created a VM in Hyper-V using a Windows XP SP3 iso. After initial setup, Windows XP is missing many drivers, including network so I can't copy driver files to the VM. Is there a way to enable usb support or...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:38.
Find Us