How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 646
    10
       #1

    How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?


    I installed virtual box with win 10 to test custom themes. But if I get a black screen in the vm, how to get into system restore at boot without booting into the desktop?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 809
    Win10
       #2

    Same way as a normal system - Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . Easiest way would be to boot to your installation media.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 646
    10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    PolarNettles said:
    Same way as a normal system - Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . Easiest way would be to boot to your installation media.
    How would the host recognize I'm trying to boot into system restore in the guest vm?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 809
    Win10
       #4

    yahanna said:
    How would the host recognize I'm trying to boot into system restore in the guest vm?
    Maybe I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. How did you install Windows onto the guest in the first place? You would follow the same procedure but click on the Repair option instead of the Install option.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,471
    Win10 Home x64 - 1809
       #5

    Hey yahanna,
    As long as your VM sees your CD Drive or USB Stick, then it should boot from it when you restart the Guest OS. There is also F12 when you first start a VirtualBox VM that allows you to select boot options.

    Note: I've never actually tried to boot/insall from a CD or USB in a VirtualBox VM. I always point the CD to the .ISO for install, you probably could do the same to get to repair options.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,471
    Win10 Home x64 - 1809
       #6

    Well DUH, never realized that there is no boot option for a USB Stick in VirutalBox, so you can scratch that one
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 646
    10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    PolarNettles said:
    Maybe I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. How did you install Windows onto the guest in the first place? You would follow the same procedure but click on the Repair option instead of the Install option.
    What do you mean how did I install windows as guest in vm?? I hope youre joking.

    Anyway I'll be a little more clear. If something should go wrong in the guest o/s where I can't boot to the desktop, HOW do I go into system restore at boot in the guest o/s?

    I ask this cuz I'm testing win 10 custom themes. Before I vmed my pc, occasionally my pc would go black and I wouldnt be able to get to my desktop. The only way I fixed it was by doing system restore at boot. This is why I installed a vm to test these risky themes in a vm environment.

    Hopefully this clears this up finally.,
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 646
    10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    You know what? This is what I want which is easier...

    Before something goes wrong with my guest o/s, I'd want to make a backup of it. Is it better to copy or clone a guest o/s in my case?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 809
    Win10
       #9

    yahanna said:
    What do you mean how did I install windows as guest in vm?? I hope youre joking
    How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?-image.png

    yahanna said:
    Before something goes wrong with my guest o/s, I'd want to make a backup of it. Is it better to copy or clone a guest o/s in my case?
    How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?-image.png
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 11,211
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #10

    yahanna said:
    I installed virtual box with win 10 to test custom themes. But if I get a black screen in the vm, how to get into system restore at boot without booting into the desktop?
    Hi there

    easy way would be to have your restore program as an ISO which the VM could boot from (power on VM into hardware or set boot in the virtual Bios). Define a DVD/CD device in the VM as an image and point it to your macrium or other bootable restore .iso image.

    You need to have the restore file available on an accessible HDD / device too. An external USB is good for this as you can add the USB device before powering on the VM.

    Another way is simply to have a backup copy of the VMdisk files -- then just trash the current VM, copy back the previous virtual disk files and power on the VM again. Both methods are equally good IMO.

    If re-copying the virtual disk and the VM is a Windows one - ensure you say I MOVED It rather than I Copied it if a box appears (does using VMware -- not sure about vbox) - if you don't do this Windows could have activation problems as you might have to re-activate Windows.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums